Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 32 Long Load Request

Boolit Bub
    I was surprised, and a bit disapointed when I checked the throats on the 16-3. Surprised that they seemed consistent and disapointed that they weren't 312 to 313. This was due to the number of molds that cast those diameter. It would seem to limit the ones that would be useful to me. I am finding out that many of those molds cast oversize bullets, and (usually) everything is good in the world!

I guess I sort of expected the 631 to be consistent, as I figured by then, S&W had gone to CDC machines. But still it is good!

I think I were I in your situation, I would try going with the larger diameter, and see how they work. My experience is that as long as they will chamber, you may find them to be quite accurate, based on experience gained during my recent battles with a 1988 model 625, and a 625 Mountain Gun. But that is a long tale when more time is available for the telling.....

Dan P

Boolit Grand Master
    Does it seem odd to anyone else that the nominal diameter for most .32 cal handgun cartridges is .312", but most S&W cylinder throats seem to be .314"?

Both of my Ruger SSM's have throats of .3125" so my first H&I die was .313" It seems to work okay for the tiny little I frames too, even if it is in theory too small.

I did eventually get a Lee .314 sizing die for those times I just want to tumble lube.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    It does seem a bit odd. I have been told that earlier S&W 32's had smaller throats, but not owning any yet, I don't know. That said, I have found that a lot of the 32 molds I have played with drop bullets that are .314 to 315, and seem to work just fine in my guns sized to 314. It would be an interesting experiment to try some smaller diameter bullets through my guns, just to see how they do!

Boolit Grand Master
    As I have stated elsewhere, I have settled on .313” for all my 32 revolver bullets unless there is some exceptional situation. This is because my custom recreated K32 was made with tight chambers and carefully matched .313 throats. I guess I might be able to do better with .314” sizing on some bullets, but after all, at my age I really don’t shoot all that well!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    As I have stated elsewhere, I have settled on .313” for all my 32 revolver bullets unless there is some exceptional situation. This is because my custom recreated K32 was made with tight chambers and carefully matched .313 throats. I guess I might be able to do better with .314” sizing on some bullets, but after all, at my age I really don’t shoot all that well!
    Froggie
    I can certainly relate to the age comment!

"It aint easy being old"

Boolit Grand Master
    As I tell my cousin often, getting old is not for sissies.

I think the thing I miss the most is clear vision. I can remember focusing on a front sight striation when I was shooting long range in the desert; no way I could do it now, even wearing reading glasses. It also plays heck with trying to shoot groups with the tiny sights on I frames from the first decade of the twentieth century. One of mine dates from about 1909, the other is a few years older.

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I was very lucky that my eye Doc is/was a High Master competitive pistol shooter, former All-Navy and President's Hundred. When I had cataract surgery done and new lens implants he was able to correct my astigmatism and set me up so that the sights on my EDC revolver are sharp to my dominant right eye without corrective lenses, the front sight on the Garand is sharp and I can read The Wall Street Journal in good light without any correction. I no longer have a corrective lens restriction on my driver's license. The dominantvl eye intermediate focus is good for the computer and car dashboard instruments. Left non-dominant eye is optimized for distance so I can read number boards on the rifle range and not cross-fire. Also great for highway signage on the interstate. My glasses do provide some closeup correction for fine work reading vernier scales or inspecting close work inside 12 inches.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, my astigmatism, while present, is sufficiently minor that I got “normal” lenses during my cataract surgery, but they don’t do much for the slow growing dry macular degeneration… fortunately worse in my non-dominant, non-shooting eye.
    mk42gunner wasn’t the first to quote that phrase… “Getting old [really] isn’t for sissies!” I hope I can live long enough to give old age a run for its money though! the other big reason for living a long time is to enjoy (or embarrass) your children. As a bachelor, I can’t indulge in that, but my nieces and nephew as well as the grands sure are fun. When my eldest niece tried to complain about me spoiling her three kids, I shut her down with, “Hush… I spoiled you and I’m going to spoil them too”, an argument she couldn’t refute!
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-28-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have used that very phrase on numerous occasions! And it seems to become truer with each passing year! But I have a mission I need to stick around a bit for. Namely one hole groups from my 32's. From the Ransom rest obviously. It's sort of nice to know when you miss, it's all on you.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve shot many one hole groups, Dan… but then I spoil them with the second shot!

Boolit Bub
    Love it!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234