MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Sizing to 0.515 ???

Sizing to 0.515 ???

My Lee mold for a .50-70 bullet drops too large. I'd like to take them down to 0.515 for use in a, 1871 rolling block.

Other than that $53.95 number from North East Trade, is there a simple push-through die that will do the job?

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got mine (for my 50 cal Maynard) from Tom Crone. He makes both a push through die (to use with an arbor press) and screw in for use with a standard 7/8 X 14 press. I have both and they work flawlessly. As I recall they are about $35 or so. You can find him on the N-SSA forum as he makes dies for any CW weapon you can imagine.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Try Lee - they will make, if needed ?

Boolit Master

Also; one could buy a Lee CLASSIC BULLET SIZING KIT .510 - then polish out to .515 with sand paper and polishing compound. This is what I did for an AR-50 in 50BMG using Cast Boolits.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Three good ideas here. I'll check into them. Thanks all for your responses

Mustang, I would have guessed those Lee push-through dies are quite hard. Were you able to take off that much metal and still keep the opening round?

I don't understand why Lee doesn't make any die larger than 0,500.

Boolit Buddy
    This place makes them too. Buffalo arms also makes them.

https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA450

I have an old Lyman 0.515. My father shoots them as cast from the LEE mold for 50-70

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Three good ideas here. I'll check into them. Thanks all for your responses

Mustang, I would have guessed those Lee push-through dies are quite hard. Were you able to take off that much metal and still keep the opening round?

I don't understand why Lee doesn't make any die larger than 0,500.
    I did two of them and they set to perform well. Of course; that ~35 pound rifle, immense & long barrel can do a pretty good job of swaging a 750 to 850 grain cast boolit to "Round". There are some old posts on this site on how to polish sizers to larger diameters.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    crones is the best and they are now 45 dollars

Lee Precision has the 0.515" diameter for $16.
    If you don't have a set up that you could use the Lee die with then you could rig up something to use it as a push-thru.
    https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.515

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I size my cast for my Smith Carbine to .515. I bought my push thru sizer from Lodgewood Mfg. - David usually has them in stock. Anyway you cut it, I doubt that you are going to find one that isn't going to be north of $40 - %50 unload someone has one they no longer need and willing to sell.

I don't remember what I paid for mine as it has been a while. K have no idea of what Lee gets for a custom push thru, but I'm sure they aren't cheap either. Maybe a "hobby machinist" would do one cheaper, but consider the cost of materials - or a die to alter - and the time involved to do the work, $45 - $55 for one is not out of line IMHO. The one I bought fits in my Rockchucker single stage makes quick work of the task.

Boolit Buddy

Buy an old Lyman 450 luber sizer and order the largest size and lube die. Chuck the die up in a collet and ream it to .515 Make a new plug die about .513 Size and lube all you want. I made one about 30 years ago. Still working to size and lube all my 50-70 cast bullets. If you do not have a small lathe; find a machinist to turn one up for you. Lee sizers are messy !