Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What is it and what's it worth, part I...

Boolit Master

What is it and what's it worth, part I...

I inherited two muzzleloader rifles from my father when he passed. The first, I know a little about it in that he told me why he built it and what it was used for.

He built it for elk hunting in Idaho's muzzleloader season. It is in .45 caliber. Which is an oddity, since Idaho hunting regs say you have to use at least a .50 cal for elk. He took offense to that law and built this rifle for long-range hunting out to 500 yards.

I remember him telling me that he shot an elk at over 400 yards with it and was hoping that a game warden would try to arrest him so he could go to court and get the stupid .45 cal law eliminated. He never did get caught with it.

Now I have the rifle and have no use for it. I am trying to thin out his rifle collection to only rifles that I have a use for or have some sentimental value. I have zero interest in muzzleloader hunting and will likely sell this rifle. But, I have no idea what it is or what it is worth. If it's low value, then I would probably just keep it since I know the story behind it. But if it's worth a fair amount, then I'll let someone who can use it to it's full potential have it.

Here are the pictures I took of it,

Attachment 315645

Attachment 315646

Attachment 315647

Attachment 315648
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

That appears to be a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle, listed at Midway for $2341.99 new. It also states it is discontinued.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    What he said ,dump your centerfire and take up muzzle loaders !!!!!!!!!!!!! Or if giving away I'm 1st in line /Ed

You have the finest muzzleloading production target rifle available. He did not build that, Pedersoli did. If it were mine I would be busy learning how to manage it out on the range.

Boolit Master

How's the Bore?
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Elk at over 400 yards ? I think I would keep that and learn to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    One of the rifles I drooled over for years. Almost bought one but my shoulder decided that it was time to quit the heavy loads.

Boolit Buddy
    They’re not building anymore of those and I’ve recently seen them sell for 1200 and 1600 on Gunbroker. The deluxe version sold for 2300 new.

I'd keep it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Give it to me ? I will use it for hunting and long-range target work ?? I shoot long - range in competition ....

Boolit Master

To shoot game at those ranges it must use bullets do you also have his molds and loads for the gun ?

Whatever you decide others told you what it was it seems to be factory not custom made by your father could he have meant he ordered it that way for Elk hunting? I do understand his disapproval of state game laws I often wonder who the idiots are that make some regulations .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

That is a beautiful rifle, sir. I am sure someone will give you good money for it, but I echo what people here are saying - that is one well worth the fun of getting into the Holy Black. If nothing else, mount her above the fireplace with a picture of your father. Again, that is a beautiful and valuable rifle, and I wish you many years of enjoyment from her.

Boolit Mold
    I owned one for many years. The very first time I fired it was at 300 yards. Five shots in a 5” group. I became my go-to rifle for long range. This was a copy of a very successful long range target rifle of the 1800’s. Very well done. They are the most popular long range target rifle which can be used in competition right out of the box.

Please accept our condolence's on the loss of your Dad.........

Maybe, when he said he built it, he actually assembled it from it's take-down shipping condition.

In any event, it's a premium smokepole - I would leave it as-is & shoot the snot out of it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride