MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Favorite flavor o' 9,3 cast boolit?

Boolit Master

Favorite flavor o' 9,3 cast boolit?

It seems I am very blessed to have a Husqvarna 9.3X57 in my immediate future. While I have used condom and all copper in 9,3X62 on African plains game years ago, I have never contemplated the pleasantries of lobbing cast at modest velocities from a bolt gun. Who has favorite molds in this caliber -- .368, generally. I see Tom at Accurate has a good lineup available. Probably something close to 200 and a workhorse closer to 250-260 should cover the bases.

Boolit Master
    I'll be damned. Nobody shoots cast in any of the 9.3s.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot 9.3×74r in 2 different rifles. A Remington #5 rolling block built with a Green mountain 33 caliber barrel rebored by JES to 9.3 and a Sabatti double rifle. Accurate made me a 2 cavity one cavity 250gr (37-245L) and the other 285gr (36-270C specked to cast.368) both plain base. The truth be known I've only put about 50 rounds of jacketed through the rolling block and haven't gotten to the cast. No good excuse for it either. The Sabatti double was bought used with little use , one of those ohhh that's nice ! I haven't got a chance of winning at that price things but Wasn't inexpensive. No other bidders. I guess it would be perfect for large north American game , but i don't hunt.
    They will both get fed lead sometime this year. I picked my mold prophile based on what I thought would fly in the rolling block. People told me it needed jackets to break it in.

Bill
    Last edited by wwmartin; 07-05-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Master

NOE has a 286 gr. flat point. Can get gas checked or plain base.
    Mine is the g/c version.
    W/W, clear powder from Smokes, Sage gas checks, and a 20gr charge of Herco. PPU brass and WLR primers. Out of my Ruger No 1, no recoil to speak of and accurate! 9.3×74r
    YMMV

Banned
    I have a 9.3x57 Husky 96 action. For just shooting and plinking I don't like using the big heavy artillery bullets. I have Mihec's 217 grain 35 caliber bullet for the 35 Remington and whatever else you wish to use it in and I swage it up to the diameter my 9.3 needs. My rifle shoots 1/2 inch groups WITH A SCOPE at 100 yards and doesn't beat your shoulder. I also have the 272 grain Mountain Mold.

I'll have to dig out the load book, but I have loaded a NOE boolit in 9.3x74R to good effect.

Boolit Master
    TD: Good to know your Husky is a shooter. I think the first mold will be at the lighter end of the scale to save lead and shoulder.

Boolit Master

I had a 98 Mauser that my gunsmith rebarreled with a Husqvarna 9.3x62 barrel. It was set up with a Lyman receiver sight and after a year or so with jacketed bullets, I picked up an Accurate mold. Don’t remember the specs, but it’s documented in my load book upstairs. Sold it, along with the dies and mold to a fellow in Texas. That was a few years back, but the 9.3 fever never left me. Early this year my gunsmith found a 9.3x57 on a Swedish action that had the bolt hacked up real bad. He replaced it with a Remington 700 bolt handle. Thank to some friends here, I picked up a couple of boxes of Norma 9.3x57 brass and a set of dies. Haven’t shot it yet, but looking forward to some range time with this “potato thumper”.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

i have a custom 98 mauser in 9.3x62 set up with a reciever sight and only use 250 gr nosler accubond J bullets with varget powder, it,s only used for deer and bear in very thick brush.

Boolit Master

I think it is a not so common mold size for one. also not a common caliber so not a huge demand. I have the old Ideal mold. The new guys have something that will work.

Banned
    Glad to hear y'all reports back on the 9.3. 9.3's are still very popular in Europe. The Husky in 9.3x57 in my opinion is a fantastic rifle and caliber. My rifle came with a turned down bolt (with removable bolt knob) D&T'ed for Weaver mounts, and the swing safety converted to the right side lever type safety. They must have worked the trigger too as it doesn't have the military two stage pull, but it is the military trigger as I've had it apart. Has a long barrel for maximum use of the powder charge and the rifle is very light, thus why it's a thumper on the shoulder. I just wanted a lighter bullet for just target shooting or plinking. I feel it's an extraordinary deer caliber and rifle. I also like my 1903 sporterized 35 Whelen.

Boolit Master
    The one I have coming is a Model 146, which Husqvarna built on FN-produced pre-war 98 Mauser actions. Already has Weaver mounts and Buehler-style safety.
    I am fond of the 9,3s, as I took a CZ 550 in 9,3x62 to Namibia back in 2007. Don't need that much horsepower these days, so the 57 should do all I ask of it against Texas hogs.

I had a CZ 550 AMERICAN 9.3x62 and I only shot PPU and Speer bullets from it.
    I was thinking at the time of procuring a Lee mould for the 9mm Makarov to have a source of low speed plinking ammo. It seems like it should work…..
    Alas, a fellow gun trading buddy talked me out of it with a Sako 22-250 so I have nothing to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the 9.3 bullet to paper patch for my .375 H&H .

It's an RCBS mould, I think.

245 grains at 2400 fps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    The one I have coming is a Model 146, which Husqvarna built on FN-produced pre-war 98 Mauser actions. Already has Weaver mounts and Buehler-style safety.
    I am fond of the 9,3s, as I took a CZ 550 in 9,3x62 to Namibia back in 2007. Don't need that much horsepower these days, so the 57 should do all I ask of it against Texas hogs.
    You bet it will and more! Fine caliber. There's another 9mm out there you don't hear much talk about and that's a 9x56mm Mannlicher Schoenaur. Just a hair smaller then the 9.3's. Kind of tough to find brass, dies, etc..

Boolit Master

I have several 9.3x74R barrel sets for my Valmet shotgun. Because I have had the mold longest, I've shot more Lyman 366408 plain base, which works fine for punching paper at low velocity. I always used 4759 to power them.

I have several 6-cavity group buy molds that I bought here, all of them gas checked, and I believe all of them were really intended for calibers such as the 9.3x57, as they are much shorter designs.

Boolit Master
    Well, I just received a very nice two-cavity Accurate mold from a member here -- basically Tom's 37-285B -- and have gas checks on the way from Sage Outdoors. Rifle oughta be here this week. Already have dies and PPU 8X57 brass ...