RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: .30-30 Handirifle

Boolit Buddy

.30-30 Handirifle

A few years back I bought a nice looking second hand H&R Handirifle with the idea of putting peeps on it. I ordered a new target knob Williams peep sight for it. I have a couple of these on my other H&R single shots and I've had good results with them. However this rifle has a factory defect and the front sight cants off to the left just far enough to be annoying.

I don't blame the previous owner for not telling me since he had removed the front sight and installed a scope. It seems all the good gunsmiths have left Oregon and I've been having serious trouble finding someone to drill and tap holes for a new front sight. I have a Remington take off front sight that is the same height as the H&R "gut hook" front sight but it's just sitting in the gun room for lack of a smith to install it. I'm half tempted to try gluing on the front sight but I know it won't stay on for long...

Right now I'm considering selling the peep and putting on a low magnification scope. I really want to get this rifle shooting.

Any suggestions?

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Glue. A strong epoxy may hold it forever.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some Gorilla epoxy that I use to glue new tips on fishing rods, so I have nothing to loose by trying.

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    All my Handies wear 4x Leupolds ,I like eating meat on a regular basis and iron doesn't permit it /Ed

Boolit Master
    I have used JB weld several times to put front sights on a rifle that had a very thin barrel, and never had one come off, even on a lightweight .300 win mag. This is tried and true, put it on, clamp it overnight and good to go the next day.

Or a red dot?
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd much rather have a peep than a scope on this rifle and I've had good results with JB Weld on motorcycle case repairs so I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Anyway sometime over the next week or so I'll pick up some JB Weld and give it a go.

It used to be that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with iron sights until I tried a peep on one of my rifles. Now I prefer peeps on my woods and other shorter (under 100 yards) range rifles. Off the top of my head I'm thinking this is my 4th rifle with a peep and the rest wear a scope...

Tony

AKA Geezerbiker

Plus one on JB Weld.
    I glued a Marlin 70P front sight on my 44-40 Topper several years ago and it hasn’t moved.
    Other than AcraGlas, it’s the only epoxy I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Hang on to that William's Target peep sight-----currently they don't make them, and based on what I see happening I doubt they will ever again.
    I have one on an H&R 38-55 target rifle plus a spare. Also have one on a Marlin 39 Mountie round lever.
    Great sights.