RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Rem 7600 in 30-06?

This is my .308 T/C Pro Hunter Contender. I have a new original Thompson Center 15" .30-06 barrel coming today from Haus Of Arms. I'm anxious to shoot it. I'm thinking of working up some cast bullet loads for it in the future. The latest edition, (6th Edition), of the new Sierra Bullets loading manual lists jacketed loads for the .30-06 in a 15" barrel up to 2,600 FPS with 150 grain bullets, and IMR 4064 powder.

The recoil is quite stout in .308, but controllable. Especially with no muzzle brake. I would imagine with the .30-06, it will be only slightly greater. Both the .308 and .30-06 are shot from plenty of rifles with 16" and 18" barrels. So shooting the same from a 15" barrel isn't that drastically different.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Am interested in the chatter marks aspect; wouldn't mind illumination on the topic if someone would be so kind. Best regards,
    Yes, if you own a Remington autoloader (740 or 742, can't say for the 7400 for certain) hold the bolt back with the detachable magazine removed and look into the top inside of the receiver.

There are machined grooves as I recall but feel for chatter marks or divots worn there.

The development of those marks or divots are the doom of that rifle. There was a gun smith (local to me) who welded them up and machined the excess material out but he has retired and sadly passed away.

If a person just reserves these rifles to a few rounds annually it would likely last a lifetime, perhaps several. I had a 742 with those marks that fired and cycled just fine for the short time I had it. It went back to its previous owner about the time I learned about the rifle series malady.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Interesting, thank you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Interesting, thank you.
    You are welcome!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 760 .30-06 that I got for Christmas in 1976. It was my first deer rifle and it's killed a lot deer. Not sure how the 7600s are but as far as pump action rifles go- I like them. Super handy and quick in thick cover. Even more so than a lever (forgive the blasphemy, my fellow lever gun fans).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    I have a 760 .30-06 that I got for Christmas in 1976. It was my first deer rifle and it's killed a lot deer. Not sure how the 7600s are but as far as pump action rifles go- I like them. Super handy and quick in thick cover. Even more so than a lever (forgive the blasphemy, my fellow lever gun fans).
    I like the Remington pumps and also have a 141 in 25 Remington as well.

I also have some levers, a pair of 99s (243 win and 300 sav) and they are very cherished as well. A trio of Marlins to boot.

I do not get up tight about likes and dislikes expressed by folks, we all have our opinions. I see merrit in just about each design.

The Remington 760 and later brought some very robust cartridges to the mix. The downside is the action rattle.

The Savage is more sleek, no rattle but a little less powerful but not by much.

The Marlins are chambered for cartridges that offer more advantage in even closer quarters.

Each to their own and enjoy the myriad of choices we have is my opinion.

Three44s

I’ve often thought that a tube fed pump action 45-70 would be a great rifle to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 760 in .308 Win with an April 1959 date code. College graduation present back in 1980. It's been a good gun, but it hasn't been shot in at least five or six years. Originally had a 4x Weaver on it, but I swapped it out 30+ years ago for a 3x9.

Boolit Man
    Received a Remington Model 6 in 308 Winchester for Christmas from my son. The model 6 is the last of the Remington Pump Rifles, discontinued in the mid 80's. Mine was kind of ratty looking and the bore was rusted at the muzzle. Bobbed the barrel to 18 inches, and test shot it with a 30/40 Krag load (31141, sized .311 over 19.3 gr. 4227) 3/4 inch at 65 yds (corner to corner of my back yard pistol range) will be happy with 2 inches at 100 yds with a hunting load (cast hunting load). Danny

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’ve often thought that a tube fed pump action 45-70 would be a great rifle to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I can find a used barrel, I am thinking of a .451 wildcat on a 308 case for my model 6 (same barrel assembly as a 760) Easier large cal. would be a rebore to .358 Winchester.
    Last edited by Earl54; 01-03-2024 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Chatter Marks, I think this is what he is referring to. When a 742 fires the bolt unlocks and travels rearward until it stops, by the recoil spring bottoming out. The bolts locking lugs, which are small and hardened, slide down a rail on the inside of the receiver. When the bolt comes to a stop, The lugs slap the rail somewhat. If the rail is heat treat as it should be, no issues. If not the locking lugs start to hammer, and eventually deform the rail, or cut thru it completely, which causes the bolt head to drop down and lock the action up, causing the gun to jam and neccitating tearing the gun down to get it working, for one shot and then repeat. If it doesnt cut thru, the battering of the rail causes the chatter marks, and slows down the action by the bolt rubbing on them, and dragging the bolt on return, making it unreliable. In my experience, about half of the 742's are like this. I had a gent who had bought one of them new the basket weave addition, and had kept every round of factory ammo shot thru it in the original boxes in his garage. At 152 rounds the rail was eaten thru. I have grown to hate the 742s over the years from working on so many of them. The 740s and had the big one piece lugs on the bolt, and none of the problems with the lugs, hence the reason Remington returned to the same bolt on the 7400. Strangely, the 760 pumps, with the same type bolt and and rail, have none of the problems associated with the 742.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Chatter Marks, I think this is what he is referring to. When a 742 fires the bolt unlocks and travels rearward until it stops, by the recoil spring bottoming out. The bolts locking lugs, which are small and hardened, slide down a rail on the inside of the receiver. When the bolt comes to a stop, The lugs slap the rail somewhat. If the rail is heat treat as it should be, no issues. If not the locking lugs start to hammer, and eventually deform the rail, or cut thru it completely, which causes the bolt head to drop down and lock the action up, causing the gun to jam and neccitating tearing the gun down to get it working, for one shot and then repeat. If it doesnt cut thru, the battering of the rail causes the chatter marks, and slows down the action by the bolt rubbing on them, and dragging the bolt on return, making it unreliable. In my experience, about half of the 742's are like this. I had a gent who had bought one of them new the basket weave addition, and had kept every round of factory ammo shot thru it in the original boxes in his garage. At 152 rounds the rail was eaten thru. I have grown to hate the 742s over the years from working on so many of them. The 740s and had the big one piece lugs on the bolt, and none of the problems with the lugs, hence the reason Remington returned to the same bolt on the 7400. Strangely, the 760 pumps, with the same type bolt and and rail, have none of the problems associated with the 742.
    My model 6 has 3 lugs on the bolt, do the older 760's have the multiple lugs?

Boolit Master
    Though I carry Savage 99's and Marlin's(no rattles), the 760's rattling fore end can be made much quieter, if not silent with a couple felt washers stuck on the inside of the forearm, between barrel and forearm. The felt washers used on furniture legs work or you can just find some thick felt, double-sided tape and make your own. Every once in while I think about an 'Amish' machine gun, left PA long ago, but the 760 was very popular there when I started hunting (1960's), semi-auto rifles are not legal for deer and bear hunting in Pennsylvania.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nope… Remington told me they’re not gonna make them again.

I’m down to three 7600’s …a 1984’ 30-06 my dad bought me new, 2004’ limited run 35 Rem carbine, and 2019’ limited run 35 Whelen carbine. The 35 Rem and whelen were limited runs. My 06’ will shoot . 2” to .3” at 100 yards with 180 grain core loct hand loads. My 35 rem .6” to .7” with speer 180 grain hot core hand loads. Never tried anything but 180 grain Speers in it. The 35 Whelen dosent like anything I’ve tried in it and at best so far 1.5 MOA. I have some new loads to test in it. Maybe next week.

My 2004’ 30-06 I’ve had since new rattled. All I had to do is bend out the charge bars for the pump and it’s tight as a drum now with no rattling. Just gotta know what you’re doing.

Below is my 1984’ 30-06 and 2019’ 35 whelen carbine with original grey laminate wood set from around 2004’. The 35 Rem is a twin to the Whelen. I had the stock set swapped out to grey laminate from a limited run 7-08 they had on the shelf at the time for another $80. It cost me $169 for the same set a few years back from Gunparts Corp.

Both guns have DNZ one piece scope mounts on them now. I took off the see through rings. They also both have 30 mm optics now. The 06’ has a vx5 2-10 and whelen has a 2.5-10 vortex. The 35 rem still has see throughs per my dads request along with a vx1 2-7.

Here’s the 35 rem on the first day I took it into the field. Scored a nice doe with it about 15 minutes after I sat down. The two little ones with it ran off and a few minutes later they came running back with this buck behind them. So within 25 minutes I filled a few tags using a .358, 180 grain hot core loaded around 2350fps or so if I remember correctly. Wasn’t one of monster bucks I was after but after about 10 am every year on opening day the odds go down for seeing any decent bucks.

I’ve shot a few 170” to 180” plus bucks with 06’ over the decades. I have taken more bucks with that rifle over the years than I can remember. I’ll have to make a couple of Christmas trees with the antlers some day.

I still have a two of the DNZ game reaper 1” mounts for the 7600’s I’d like to sell. Bought 30mm ones for the new optics.

Triggers are easy enough to work on. I just polish the trigger group and usually call it good. The whelen and 06’ brake under 3 pounds. I haven’t messed with the 35 rem trigger but will some day. I tried a lighter spring from the hardware store for the whelen. It broke under 2 pounds so I put the factory spring back in. It’s a probably 2 3/4 pounds with light polishing. The pump and slide doesn’t touch the barrels so they free float. The reason why they are accurate imo. Had a nice one with deer and bear scrolling in 30-06 and 243. Traded 06’ for the 243 and then sold the 243 after getting the 35 Rem. Mt dad wanted something less recoiling than the 06’. He had a 06’ for decades and said it was getting to be to much recoil 20 years ago. He still likes the little light 6.5 pound 35 Rem carbine but says it’s heavy to carry now. He still uses it on opening day. They sure have sky rocketed in price now that Remington quit making them. The $629 whelen has been selling for $3000 to $4500 on fin broker latley been watching the auctions. Should have bought a couple dozen whelen at $629 four years ago and put aside to sell. The 35 rem carbine 7600 is super rare. Would not ever part with it. If you don’t have a 7600 and can get one for a reasonable price snag it up. They are accurate and great for extremely fast follow up shots. Never have ONE jam in any of 7600’s and have been using them since 84’. I’m sure I’ll have a few more before I leave the planet. The 30-06 is the most popular caliber and my favorite. I should have bought the last “premier” version three years ago with the same wood checkering as my 84’ model but I was to cheap to fork out a grand to $1200 for the fancy wood working when I knew it was going to get a lot of use and banged up and could get a standard for $629.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-05-2024 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Man
    Tripplebeards sending you a message

Forgot I had the 30-06 and 35 Rem not to far away. The whelen is packed away. Updated optic and mount on the 06’. The little carbine I was told was close to 6.5 pounds without an optic. Never put it on a scale to check. Explains why the whelen jumps around pretty good in my sled.

Boolit Master

I've never owned a 760 but I dod have one of it's older sisters, a 141. I enjoy the 141 but haven't had it long. I would be right at home with a 760 as I grew up shooting 870's, model 12's, and a model 37 Ithaca. I have looked at the auction sites from time to time thinking about buying one. One think I notice quite often is the finish on the buttstock around the buttplate seems to be peeling. Did Remington do a poor job of finishing these? or have they been abused by letting the buttstock sit in water? Anyone else noticed this? It seems to me to be on the rifles produced after Remington started using the RKW wood finish.
    I'm enjoying the pics and this thread!
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I'm liking that one w/ the laminate stock TB. In general I like walnut, but that pepper laminate is finding its way onto more of my rifles. Plus you get to avoid that impressed Rem 'checkering'. What is the chambering on that one ?

I have 2 that are twins with grey laminate. Those are limited run factory Remington stocks. I have the same grey laminate that came on my 300 RUM back in 99’.

Both grey laminate stock sets are set up on limited run carbine's. One in 35 Rem and the other in 35 Whelen. The longer 22” barrel with wood is a 1984’ model in 30-06 that came from Kmart. Think it was $289 new at the time.

Remington kept doing all their “special runs” at the time and all they did was put on a different set of wood laminate stocks…and called it a special run back in the day. I think the 35 rem came with wood but I paid $80 to Gryce’s gun shop over the phone to swap with the grey laminate factory set. The whelen came with composite and no cheek weld. I found a couple of “old inventory” Grey laminte sets at Numerics gun parts for $169. After a couple of scratched and damaged sets they sent me I finally got a good set…the last one they had. This was about 4 years ago. They also made cool blue laminate, a brown laminate, …and may even a yellow laminte if I remember??? They are a lot better quality laminate and extremely thick bar stool finish like the old school 80’s finish vs modern day finishes. They do have checkering on them. It’s like a thick glass looking finish. To bad they don’t finish stocks like that along with quality bluing process of the 70’s and early 80’s.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-05-2024 at 09:19 PM.

I looked for those 1” ring DNZ mounts a few minutes ago and forgot I sold them on ebay a year or two ago. I do have a few sets of see through "iron sighter" style for the 7600s laying around. Here is the 35 whelen...

I mounted the new dnz mount and vortex optic on it 2 weeks ago. Cleaned the barrel...no copper fouling yet. Either that or I gave it a good scub last time around. Loaded up some 180 grain .358 hot cores to try with 2230-c, imr4895, and varget. Hopefully it likes one of the loads vs everything else I've tried. I bought the 35 rem carbine for my dad and set up my 35 whelan carbine with the same grey laminate stock set. The 35 Whalen was the most powerful caliber offered in the 7600 platform. Wouldn't mind finding a 308 version and boring it out to 358 Winchester to fill the gap. The sling is also vintage. I remember that sling in the local gun shop when I was a kid in the late 70s and was either $59 or $69 at the time. It was twice as much as my $29 tasco 4x scope used on the 7600 at the time. Always drooled over that Torel hand painted sling. Found one a few years back on ebay for around $45 if I remember. I see two on ebay asking a $100 for them. Ouch.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-05-2024 at 09:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast