Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Today's Rem 7600 in 30-06?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I've never owned a 760 but I dod have one of it's older sisters, a 141. I enjoy the 141 but haven't had it long. I would be right at home with a 760 as I grew up shooting 870's, model 12's, and a model 37 Ithaca. I have looked at the auction sites from time to time thinking about buying one. One think I notice quite often is the finish on the buttstock around the buttplate seems to be peeling. Did Remington do a poor job of finishing these? or have they been abused by letting the buttstock sit in water? Anyone else noticed this? It seems to me to be on the rifles produced after Remington started using the RKW wood finish.
    I'm enjoying the pics and this thread!
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I've seen it, seems there was no sealer on the end grain of the stock under the buttplate.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s why when I redo a wood stock I make sure to put a few coats of oil, varnish, or sealer under the butt pad area.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-05-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Ive got one in 358 win . It left the factory before they came drilled for a scope as a 35 rem. K.E Smith stamped 358 win . I bought it to be a project but after a thorough cleaning I like it as it is.

If I remember the 280 Reminton was the rarest "stand production" factory chambering. The 280 doesn't trip my trigger.

I remember back in 1988 when Remington introduced the 35 Whelen into their product line. They also did 35 Remington. Both in 7600 and some in the 750 woods master. Think both cartridge offerings only lasted a year…maybe 2. Imo the 35 Remington caliber in 7600 was the rarest. My 35 Rem 7600 Carbine was a 2004’ limited run. You don’t see the 18.5” carbine 7600 talked about or for sale anywhere. The 22” version in the old 760 pump design in 35 REM seems to pop up for sale all the time. They made piles of them in the 141 pump as well.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-10-2024 at 03:18 PM.

Here’s a few more bucks that I found pictures of with my 7600. We can party hunt here in my state, and I normally take a few bucks each year with it. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many my gun has harvested over the decades.

And last year, I even drilled a coyote with it and then a buck shortly after…

I have piles of pictures with my 7600 over the decades. These were just ones that I found quickly.

Many years ago I purchased a 760 in 30-06. It was never a superbly accurate rifle but was consistently around 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Oddly, it puts all the ammo I have tested in it into the same group regardless of the bullet weight. Very unusual. Why I kept it. No need to sight in again when changing loads.
    I put a synthetic stock on it and it made a world of difference in the recoil. MUCH more tolerable, even on a bench.
    Recently, I tried some match grade 168 grain Sierras in it. Wow! Suddenly became an MOA rifle. Only with this one load though. Still puts everything else into 1.5 inches. More than good enough for hunting.
    I've had this rifle for over 30 years now. I used to have a peep on the rear but as my eyes got worse, I switched to a scope.

That’s the only bad part about the gray laminate stock set with a hard plastic buttpad. I took off the factory synthetic set with a thick R3 recoil pad. I think I have one or two sets of straight comb synthetic 7600 sets laying around with the big thick r3 Remington super Cell pad on it. As much as I like the gray laminate, I might have to take it off and put the black synthetic set back on to suck up some recoil with that big thick pad. It won’t look as nice but it’ll be functional. You have to Change out the stock bolt as well because they are different lengths. It’s either that or I need to find somebody that a Remington pad for 7600 wood stock. The 30-06 is nothing for me the Whelen boots me pretty good.

The Whelen sounds like your rifle above. It likes to shoot one and a half inch groups no matter what I’m shooting out of it. I never really did get a straight answer for Remington replace the barrel or if they just polished the feeding ramps or messed with the magazines, they really wouldn’t tell me. I haven’t gone out to try any new load testing in it really since I’ve gotten it back other than the load that I thought shot good in it that now does not so I’m guessing maybe the barrel has been replaced. Hopefully the new barrel if it is a new barrel shoots tighter than the other one won’t know till I get out there was planning on load testing this week between my cold that I’ve had for three weeks and snow nonstop for the last couple days I don’t think I’ll be getting to the range for a while.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-17-2024 at 10:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123