RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ed’s Red Recipe Mod

Don’t think I want to mess with xylene and MEK. ATF ,mineral spirit and kerosene.

Boolit Master
    Been using Red for years now. ATF(Dexron synthetic), Mineral Spirits (low odor), Kerosene and acetone.

I do have a question about the mix. Some bits from Ed's article (at least one that I have).
    ------------------------------
    The original intent was to mimic the arsenal's bore cleaner which was acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil. [Sperm oil was used for Dexron until they came up with a synthetic blend (IIIG was the first IIRC) so that part is 'easy' to understand].

Pratts Astral oil was nothing more than acid free, deodorized kerosene. I recommend "K1" kerosene of the type normally sold for use in indoor space heaters.

gum spirits of turpentine. Because turpentine is expensive today, and is also an "aromatic" solvent, which is highly flammable, I chose not to use it. Safer and cheaper is "aliphatic mineral spirits," a petroleum based "safety solvent" used for thinning oil based paints and also widely used as an automotive parts cleaner. It is commonly sold under the names "odorless mineral spirits," "Stoddard Solvent" or "Varsol".
    --------------------------------------------

So, my problem. I got some K-1 Kerosene to use in the mix. I looked at the SDS and it says it is Stoddard Solvent. So I looked up what was in Kerosene and Stoddard solvent and it seems they are both hydrocarbon chains with just a minor difference. This same thing is common across many of the different 'mineral spirits' and low odor paint thinners out there these days. Then 'discovered' that it was just a trade name for a 'new' dry cleaning fluid that was based on mineral spirits. Mineral spirits are 'graded' and K-1 is one of those grades. So, the 'Kerosene K-1' I bought at the store is actually grade K-1 Mineral Spirits.

I guess I'd like to know why a Stoddard Solvent and Kerosene (lamp/heating oil) are needed in the mix. Chemically they are closely related and their uses seem to overlap in industry.

Short answer for now is I will just use the 'kerosene' or 'low odor mineral spirits' depending on what I have a surplus of.

But, I do wonder if the turpentine would help. It is a different compound but still a HC chain (terpenes vs alkanes). Just to be complete, acetone is also a hydrocarbon of the ketone family. So, the original arsenal mix was a terpene, alkane and ketone (probably why some can substitute MEK for the acetone).

Yes, this is nit-picking. But, I am still curious about the mix and reasoning.

FWIW, I have gone through a similar analysis looking for the 'proper' lamp oil to use in my antique lamps. That gets complicated by the flash points of the various grades of fuel. I don't call it kerosene anymore since that term seems to not mean the same thing in different brands/products.

Boolit Master
    Charlie B,

Your reasoning and questions are why I asked the question in the first place. Stoddard solvent, naphtha, kerosene and diesel are all about the same from a degreaser perspective. The acetone is a great solvent - so is xylene, toluene, etc. One might conclude lacquer thinner would also work well.

I used turpentine because I already had some in the shop (and I like the smell). Just for fun, I also thought about adding a couple ounces of Hoppes #9.

I don’t think anyone can go wrong with the original recipe but tweaks are the spice of life…

Boolit Master
    Anyone know what the original 9 ingredients that were in Hoppe’s #9?
    I know one ingredient was the banana oil scent, which put me and 50% of firearm enthusiast off using Hoppe’s 9.
    I know benzene was eliminated decades ago due to it being a know carcinogen.

I have a small bottle of Hoppe’s that came in a cardboard box with a glass bottle inside, the bottle has a metal top.

Acetone is just too damaging to so many substances like plastics and paint I would not have it near any of my firearms.

Pet peeve, to see firearm cleaning solvents touted as a plastic remover, yet the product(s) are sold in plastic bottles.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 08-01-2023 at 07:39 AM.

I thought that the reason Turpentine was included in the mix is due to its ability to migrate under any lead in the barrel and free it so it can be wiped out easier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Xylene and MEK...it's not just for Breakfast anymore
    You got that right, I worked with both of those, bad doo doo. Another one kind of in that family is toluene. I believe that is one of the things they removed from plastic model glue because kids were squeezing the glue inside a paper bad and getting high. NOT ME!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I know one ingredient was the banana oil scent, which put me and 50% of firearm enthusiast off using Hoppe’s 9.

I have a small bottle of Hoppe’s that came in a cardboard box with a glass bottle inside, the bottle has a metal top.

Acetone is just too damaging to so many substances like plastics and paint I would not have it near any of my firearms.

Pet peeve, to see firearm cleaning solvents touted as a plastic remover, yet the product(s) are sold in plastic bottles.
    I believe that was hydro bensene that was removed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post

There are literally hundreds of different plastic families.

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Been using Red for years now. ATF(Dexron synthetic), Mineral Spirits (low odor), Kerosene and acetone.

I do have a question about the mix. Some bits from Ed's article (at least one that I have).
    ------------------------------
    The original intent was to mimic the arsenal's bore cleaner which was acetone, turpentine, Pratts Astral Oil and sperm oil. [Sperm oil was used for Dexron until they came up with a synthetic blend (IIIG was the first IIRC) so that part is 'easy' to understand].

Pratts Astral oil was nothing more than acid free, deodorized kerosene. I recommend "K1" kerosene of the type normally sold for use in indoor space heaters.

gum spirits of turpentine. Because turpentine is expensive today, and is also an "aromatic" solvent, which is highly flammable, I chose not to use it. Safer and cheaper is "aliphatic mineral spirits," a petroleum based "safety solvent" used for thinning oil based paints and also widely used as an automotive parts cleaner. It is commonly sold under the names "odorless mineral spirits," "Stoddard Solvent" or "Varsol".
    --------------------------------------------

So, my problem. I got some K-1 Kerosene to use in the mix. I looked at the SDS and it says it is Stoddard Solvent. So I looked up what was in Kerosene and Stoddard solvent and it seems they are both hydrocarbon chains with just a minor difference. This same thing is common across many of the different 'mineral spirits' and low odor paint thinners out there these days. Then 'discovered' that it was just a trade name for a 'new' dry cleaning fluid that was based on mineral spirits. Mineral spirits are 'graded' and K-1 is one of those grades. So, the 'Kerosene K-1' I bought at the store is actually grade K-1 Mineral Spirits.

I guess I'd like to know why a Stoddard Solvent and Kerosene (lamp/heating oil) are needed in the mix. Chemically they are closely related and their uses seem to overlap in industry.

Short answer for now is I will just use the 'kerosene' or 'low odor mineral spirits' depending on what I have a surplus of.

But, I do wonder if the turpentine would help. It is a different compound but still a HC chain (terpenes vs alkanes). Just to be complete, acetone is also a hydrocarbon of the ketone family. So, the original arsenal mix was a terpene, alkane and ketone (probably why some can substitute MEK for the acetone).

Yes, this is nit-picking. But, I am still curious about the mix and reasoning.

FWIW, I have gone through a similar analysis looking for the 'proper' lamp oil to use in my antique lamps. That gets complicated by the flash points of the various grades of fuel. I don't call it kerosene anymore since that term seems to not mean the same thing in different brands/products.
    Stoddard Solvent and Kerosene are entirelly different. MEK is methyl ethel ketone. It's a bad doo doo too. One shouldn't be buning Stoddard Solvent in devices made to burn keronsene especially indoors.

One of the first things they do to crude oil when it comes into the refinery is run it through a distillation tower. The first things that vaporize off are called the light ends. Think solvents. As you go up the tower the distilled liquids get heavier. Like kerosene and diesel oil. Continues on to every heavier liquids like light oils, etc. until it gets the heavy ends. Then what is left can not be distilled in the standard distillation tower and that then goes to a vacuum distillation tower. That is a dangerous piece of equiptment because refiniers use steam to heat thing and if one drop of water condensation gets inside a vacuum distillation tower BOOM in a big way. Vacuum distillation towers are in two halves lenght wise that can be openned and closed. I say this because when you distill everything out of the crude oil what you have left is coke and dirt. Yes coke, and refineries make 80% of the coke used in the U.S. not coal!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just ATF and kerosine for me.
    What I use.
    ATF/Acetone for penetrating oil works better than store bought
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen any proclamations from Ed about changing the original 4 part fomula ,
    Acetone , ATF , K-1 Kerosene and Mineral Spirits , of his Ed's Red Gun Solvent ...
    and I've been keeping an eye out for any changes he wants to suggest ...

I'm just going to Keep On Keeping On with the formula (01 / 10 / 98) Ed's Red Revisited that I've been going by ... I ain't changing a thing unless Ed says to do it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

You might want to look into ATF fluid as some are loaded with detergents I soaked a set off starret mics In that stuff and they rusted so bad I had to through them out.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    with kroil at over $100 gallon these days ive been thinking about mixing up a good size batch and thought I'd want to get it right and came across this.

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

this article by ed Harris could probably be useful as a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    with kroil at over $100 gallon these days ive been thinking about mixing up a good size batch and thought I'd want to get it right and came across this.

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

this article by ed Harris could probably be useful as a sticky
    Kroil is good stuff, but very expensive. I use it in the garage for what it's made for. I modified the Ed's red formula by substituting the atf with two stroke engine oil with TC-W3. It does everything the atf does in the mix and more. It's the tc-w3 additive I'm after.
    In short, the TC-w3 additive is a concentrated additive package that contains an aggressive detergent, dissolves carbon, and adds lubricity to the oil. It's also a fuel stabilizer. It's designed to clean and lube the combustion chamber, power valve, piston head and rings and exhaust systems in two stroke engines. What's not to like about that? Anyone who has torn into a two stroke engine knows about burnt carbon build up. There is a lot written about the benefits of TC-w3 additive. So here ya go, start reading;
    https://forums.iboats.com/threads/ex...-w3-mean.6830/

https://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/t...-fishing-boat/
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    ive still got a few gallons of yamalube 2 stroke around might just try some of that

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ive still got a few gallons of yamalube around might just try some of that
    I'm pretty sure Yamalube has TC-w3 in it. Generally any oil that has it will list it on the label.
    Here's a link;
    https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets...ine%20Oils.pdf
    Listed as Yamalube 2M
    Deplorable infidel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12