RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21 sharp

Boolit Master
    Moving out of the 1800s and getting rid of that healed bullet will go a long way twards accuracy! Bullet base, primer composition, and case crimp go into that accuracy formula. I'm guessing everyone here knows if you shoot match ammo in ****ty sporter chamber you get ****ty accuracy? Using a flat base bullet can help with the consistency with out having to ram the bullet into the lands.

If this goes into production, I'm in line to buy one!

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ge-winchester/

The new 21 Sharp cartridge not only operates at the same Maximum Average Pressure of 24,000 psi and has the same overall length (1″) as the 22 LR, but it also apparently uses the 22 Long Rifle cartridge case – case dimensions of the two cartridges are literally identical. So looks like Winchester engineers created this cartridge by simply designing a non-heeled bullet that fits the 22 LR case which resulted in a non-standard bullet diameter of .2105″ (5.347mm).
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Moving out of the 1800s and getting rid of that healed bullet will go a long way twards accuracy! Bullet base, primer composition, and case crimp go into that accuracy formula. I'm guessing everyone here knows if you shoot match ammo in ****ty sporter chamber you get ****ty accuracy? Using a flat base bullet can help with the consistency with out having to ram the bullet into the lands. If this goes into production, I'm in line to buy one!
    Ancient or not, the heeled-bullet .22LR, properly made and in a correctly sized chamber, is one of the most accurate cartridges ever made. Switching to a jacketed bullet won't improve on that. Assuming they DO use a jacketed bullet, it will have to be made to great precision so as to fit the throat, just to break even. That will increase cost and limit alternate bullet choices. There are no free lunches in engineering, only trade-offs.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-11-2023 at 06:59 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Ancient or not, the heeled-bullet .22LR, properly made and in a correctly sized chamber, is one of the most accurate cartridges ever made.
    I'm going to have to call BS on this statement! If it where true, we'd still be shooting healed externally lubed bullets in everything. I'll put my .222 up against a match 22lr at 50 yards and see who has the most consistent results time after time. I've said over and over, "I didn't know what frustration was, until I started shooting precision 22lr!".

Boolit Master
    I like the .222, and .22 Hornet quite a bit, and see little point in the .21 Sharp.

That said, I'll put my .22 LR up against your .222 at 50 yards, 7 days a week.

https://i.imgur.com/k1VGyJ6.jpg
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    I love those one group proofs.

Boolit Master

Best guess I've seen so far as to why the .21 Sharp was created is that it will be able to use lead-free projectiles, to meet the regulations of a certain large Left-coast state. If that is the case, it is no sillier than all the recent "straight-wall" cartridges designed for deer hunting in the Midwest.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Though not personally interested, if it sells guns, draws new shooters, I’m for it.
    Wish they’d put the effort into making the .22lr more affordable without lessening quality though!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Has occurred to me that, assuming they use a frangible bullet, that this .21 Sharp would have a safety advantage over the .22LR. The .22LR can ricochet a long distance. A thin-skinned jacketed .21 Sharp bullet would break up. I would find that to be a good justification for buying in, if I were still living in Michigan where the land was billiard-table flat in every direction.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Has occurred to me that, assuming they use a frangible bullet, that this .21 Sharp would have a safety advantage over the .22LR. The .22LR can ricochet a long distance. A thin-skinned jacketed .21 Sharp bullet would break up. I would find that to be a good justification for buying in, if I were still living in Michigan where the land was billiard-table flat in every direction.
    Breakup at .22 LR velocities?

I think the person posting it is designed to satisfy non-lead projectile areas is the future of this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Breakup at .22 LR velocities?
    They're claiming 1800 fps.

In the 1970s we used to buy .22 Short "gallery shot" to kill pigeons in our factory's high bay without damaging the roof. I doubt it even reached 600 fps The bullet was sintered from lead powder.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-12-2023 at 09:05 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12