MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusty bolt remover

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Only metal containers work, would not use glass because of cracking/breaking.
    Glass isn't going to "crack/break" spontaneously, but if you're careless or clumsy I guess that's good advice.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    careful with the acetone mixture, quickly destroys wood finishes, plastics, + is known carcinogen - been using ed's red less the acetone for decades -
    While it is wise to limit exposure to any organic solvents, the data on acetone causing cancer is not conclusive.

The Department of Health and Human Services, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have not classified acetone for carcinogenicity.
    Acetone does not cause skin cancer in animals when applied to the skin. We don't know if breathing or swallowing acetone for long periods will cause cancer. Studies of workers exposed to it found no significant risk of death from cancer.

Banned
    Paraffin when the bolt/nut is heated penetrates really well.

Banned
    ATF is a terrific rust remover so no reason why it wouldn't penetrate well. This, at least for me, has been known for decades. I've mentioned this before, but I've seen ratchets and sockets rusted badly soaked in a pan of ATF for a week that were spotless when taken out. Yes they were pited and som chrome gone, but zero rust. They were useable again.

Boolit Buddy
    I will share another trick that I use on small frozen screws. I save the old points for my automatic center punch and grind them to fit screw slots or flat, then to fit to the bottom of Torx or Allen socket. Apply PB, Kroil or ATF, give a few snaps straight down and then set it aside to soak. Give a few more snaps and try and turn it out. Repeat a few times and the screw will usually start after a few cycles.

I had a Lyman 57A that was on a Winchester 43 off a crab boat. It was a mess and I was trying to save it when this occurred to me. I tried it and was able to turn the corroded screw out with a jeweler’s screw driver. I had been fighting that screw for weeks, trying not to wreck it. It came right out and I’ve been using that trick since.

Boolit Master
    In the case where you can get at the nut and the bolt, especially a small one, I just twist them until the break.

I've used the 50-50 acetone-ATF mix for decades, and it works great. On guns it wont harm bluing either. If I have a really stubborn bolt or screw I apply some heat first, and then the mix and the heat helps suck it into the threads. On guns or small screws I use my Weller soldering gun tip to direct the heat, but on larger bolts I use my MAP gas torch, or oxy-acetylene torch.
    I always mix this up as needed in small quantities because it doesn't take long for the acetone to evaporate off. So no reason to mix a bunch up. But I keep whatever I don't use of the mix in a sealed container so I can add more acetone next time I need it.

Boolit Master

This is a standard formula for stuck tractor engines etc. They come free after a good soaking no matter how long they have sat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I've used the 50-50 acetone-ATF mix for decades, and it works great. On guns it wont harm bluing either. If I have a really stubborn bolt or screw I apply some heat first, and then the mix and the heat helps suck it into the threads. On guns or small screws I use my Weller soldering gun tip to direct the heat, but on larger bolts I use my MAP gas torch, or oxy-acetylene torch.
    I always mix this up as needed in small quantities because it doesn't take long for the acetone to evaporate off. So no reason to mix a bunch up. But I keep whatever I don't use of the mix in a sealed container so I can add more acetone next time I need it.
    Alternate heating with freezing using dry ice treatment from an upside down can of compressed air electronics duster is something that I have found effective.

Boolit Buddy

Not to hijack the thread but have any of you had Kroil leak out of a metal can once it has been opened?
    I had a 8 oz..can leak through the crimp and solder joints after I opened it, all over my bench.
    It seemed really weird to me.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blkpwdrbuff View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but have any of you had Kroil leak out of a metal can once it has been opened?
    I had a 8 oz..can leak through the crimp and solder joints after I opened it, all over my bench.
    It seemed really weird to me.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    There isn’t a thing made by man that cannot fail, but joints on tin cans are pretty reliable.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Great information. Thank you for posting.

Boolit Buddy

Been using the acetone and ATF for 30+ years on the farm. The acetone and the atf need to be mixed {shaken vigorously} so the atf is dissolved down to microns in the mix, the acetone will carry it into the tiny spaces and acetone dissolves leaving the atf to work its magic. This is my understanding on how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    While it is wise to limit exposure to any organic solvents, the data on acetone causing cancer is not conclusive.

The Department of Health and Human Services, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have not classified acetone for carcinogenicity.
    Acetone does not cause skin cancer in animals when applied to the skin. We don't know if breathing or swallowing acetone for long periods will cause cancer. Studies of workers exposed to it found no significant risk of death from cancer.
    Everything is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

A propane pencil torch, does well for me, the pin point blue flame heats the head of a screw or bolt. Have used Liquid Wrench for years as a penetrating oil. My #1 screw driver blade breaker, is the old Browning A-5 action screws, real narrow slot and they can be a bugger to get out.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Everything is known to the state of California to cause cancer.
    I worked for a steel processing plant about 10 years ago. One of the jobs I had was to clean up and organize the MSDS files when I didn't have purchase orders to process into the system. Because my boss was an idiot, I had to include an MSDS in the system for every new coil of steel that came into the building. Luckily not all the coils came with an MSDS. But the ones that did had to be filed. Even though the coil was being off-loaded, leveled, sheared into stamping blanks that left the other end of the building the same day. All those MSDS sheets had to be filed because they had the California "Prop 65" warning about causing cancer. From a coil of steel.

The MSDS files were yards long when I left, they probably have a separate room just for them now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12