Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplex load

Duplex load

hello everyone
    I'd like to try duplex load, never do this. I will use win 231 and a gunpowder similar to the grain of the R19, a little bigger and much slower.
    The question is: how do I make the small grains of win231 stay at the base, near the primer?

Boolit Master
    You can try putting 1 layer of cut wad of news print over the 231, or 1 layer of a cut wad of cigarette paper over the 231 ? other powder will hold in place and burn through ?

I am guessing that you find a powder you can compress in the cartridges that you are loading, that should hold it in position.

Boolit Master
    The only reason I use duplex loads is to be able to use a powder that is too slow for anything I shoot. I acquired a large quantity of 5010 and have nothing I can use it in. I fill a case with 5010 enough to get a slightly compressed load and fire it.normally I get a low velocity and unburned powder in the barrel. Then I lighten the 5010 by three grains and put three grains of a powder like 231 over the primer and the lighter load of 5010 on top. This keeps the different powders in place as I continue to increase the fast powder and decrease the 5010.

I have only duplex loaded cast boolits and when the powder burn cleans up I usually have a good cast bullet load.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Light compression is the answer in any duplex or triplex loads . Seek out PO Ackley Hand Book for shooters and reloaders it has applied data for the 45 Magnum and 454 (45) Casaull .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

what occurs to me is that the grain size of 231 is much smaller than slow gunpowder, and so I don't know if 231 is going to come out of place

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    what occurs to me is that the grain size of 231 is much smaller than slow gunpowder, and so I don't know if 231 is going to come out of place
    If it is compressed it will not migrate as there would be minimal space for it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    As mentioned, if it's compressed, you should be good.
    But, if you prefer to confirm this, try making a load in a clear tube, similar to the size of the base of your case, and see how the powder granules behave when agitated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

What cartridge?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    I've been shooting duplex loads with slow surplus powder for decades. I've shot it in everything, so the cartridge doesn't really matter except it's more difficult with the small ones with their smaller capacity. I've even shot duplex load in shot shells. My currect 45-70 duplex load is one I've, again, be using for decades. Want to know how good it is? I can shoot gallon water jugs at 400 yards with the open sights. To say I have my 45-70 load perfected would be an understatement. I have a duplex load for the 308 that duplicates 4350 in any loading. This load also transfers over to similar capacity cartridges. Enough on that.

I make my loads so they fill up the case. I don't use any kind of paper over the small charge of fast powder to keep it in place and I don't recommend it. I use two powder measures for using duplex loads-one for the slow powder and one for the booster. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THIS. YOU CAN GUESS WHY.

Yup I've enjoyed the cheap surplus powder duplexing them with a big smile on my face.

Likewise here. I have accumulated quite a bit of surplus $2/lb powder and pretty much that's all I use in most rifle cartridges. The only thing I would add is maybe don't use something as fast as 231 for the kicker. I find the pressure spikes too fast with powders like that, and much prefer something in the range of blue dot, 4227, 2400, etc. You get a smoother pressure trace and usually better accuracy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Likewise here. I have accumulated quite a bit of surplus $2/lb powder and pretty much that's all I use in most rifle cartridges. The only thing I would add is maybe don't use something as fast as 231 for the kicker. I find the pressure spikes too fast with powders like that, and much prefer something in the range of blue dot, 4227, 2400, etc. You get a smoother pressure trace and usually better accuracy.
    You're right about the pressure spikes with the faster booster (which you much use in the very small cases as they don't take up much room) but I use H4198 for the larger capacity cases. Be careful of the fast powders in small capacity case, for example I was trying to develop a duplex load for the 7.62x39 and the booster was HP 38. It went from normal to really expanding the web on the next tenth grain up on loading. I determined that's not a good booster for what I was wanting. The H4198 did work, but there wasn't enough space left with the surplus powder to get any decent velocity. Those are the kind of things you will find and run into. BE CAREFUL in fact extra careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    What cartridge?
    308 win

Good morning, I have read everything and I think I can use win296, Alliant 2400 or something faster as a booster, which is manufactured in Argentina called UW2000, which is a double-based gunpowder, slower than win231 and is generally used in shotguns .
    I'm going to do 5 charges today, using 3 grains of booster, and topping off with slow gunpowder. The slow gunpowder that I am going to use is made to load the 50BMG, so I don't think there is an overload problem. I'll use a heavy boolit for the 308, as it is 314299 drawn to 309.
    Since I have some berdan brass, the first one is going to be RWS.
    Is it okay to start with 3 grains of H2400?

Boolit Master

Some posts I made on duplexing back in previous "Powder Shortage" times. The first is for .308/7.62 in a M1a. The others are for .223/5.56 loading.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...M1a&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...92s&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...But&highlight=
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    I'm going to tell y'all how to do this, but of course many won't listen. Let's take the 308. Let's take 867 surplus. For the booster H4198 since it has shorter kernels then IMR 4198. The charge of 867 will be 38 grains, the bullet weight 172 grains. You should have a chronograph. You start with a little booster say 4 to 5 grains. You shoot 3-5 test shots across the chrono. If you're using a bolt action rifle this part is easier. You want to extract the case gently. Tap the case mouth on a piece of white paper. See if you get any unburned powder. Next pull the bolt and look through the bore for unburned powder, last look at ES and SD on the chrono. If you find any unburned powder and the ES and SD are rather high you need more booster. When the case and bore are free from unburned powder and the ES and SD are low you hit the spot. I'm going to tell you the weight of the booster in my rifle and it's 6.5 grains. Again the main load it 38 grains. Don't shoot it with a much heavier bullet. Don't be fooled you can't go wrong because the main charge is a very very slow powder because the booster turns it into kind of a different burn rate........a faster one!! BTW I get single digit ES's and SD's.

Thumbs up

Good tutorial, TD1886!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Good tutorial, TD1886!
    Thanks Maven. I want those trying duplex to be safe with it.

Thanks TD1886, tomorrow I will start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast