Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use open sights anymore?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Does anyone use open sights anymore?

My son in Alaska just asked me how he could improve his shooting accuracy. He bought a Marlin in 45/70 maybe five years ago with open sights. The first thing I asked was if he had a sling that could be used to steady shots and if he knew how to use it. I don’t have a response from him yet. I decided to search on YouTube to send him some examples. What surprised me is that I couldn’t find one person using a sling with open sights. Everyone had scopes! How many people still shoot with open sights?

Boolit Master
    I still do - but I have to wear my glasses to see the front sight. I’m pretty confident to 100 yards under most conditions - just depends on the game and the rifle. Peep sights are much easier for me than barrel sights.

I have 2 AR15's, they are the only rifle that have scopes. The rest are Winchester's or repo's, and one by one they are getting the rear sight replaced by Marbles Bulleseye sight's. Makes a world of difference. Only one thus far has had the front sight changed to a fiber optic sight.

I do with my Henry 45-70 and my Winchester 94 30-30. Pretty much everything else has a scope with the exception of the old Military rifles.

BUT......I did change out the black sights for Fiber Optic....Its easier to see the front Red dot between the two Green Rear ones.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Pity you're on the wrong continent, but if you weren't, you could pop in to one of our shoots where most rifles are open sights.

http://bigboresa.org/basa-shoot-format-and-information/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    My son in Alaska just asked me how he could improve his shooting accuracy. He bought a Marlin in 45/70 maybe five years ago with open sights. The first thing I asked was if he had a sling that could be used to steady shots and if he knew how to use it. I don’t have a response from him yet. I decided to search on YouTube to send him some examples. What surprised me is that I couldn’t find one person using a sling with open sights. Everyone had scopes! How many people still shoot with open sights?
    I categorize my arms into four different "types": To wit, MILITARY which includes M1 carbines, M1 Garands, 30-40 Krags, and the like which are ALL 'scopeless. CLASSICS, which include the venerable (18)94s, 1892s, and similar are mostly (all 'cept one) scopeless. ANTIQUES also are -- e.g., Marlin 27S -- scopeless. Annnd, lastly, TARGET -- e.g., CZ452 -- are pretty much all scoped. The one rifle I have which is 'scoped (a rebranded Redfield TASCO on a Marlin 336) is indeed a pleasure. But, for a good many years there was no greater pleasure in the woods for me than having the leather sling wrapped about my left wrist/forearm with my 1892 .38WCF's butt tight in my shoulder, seeing a deer centred vis it's open (Marble) sights. Perhaps reinforcing me perhaps being a "nut case" -- but I'd almost feel as if I was "cheating" to have a 'scope on a deer rifle; the steadiness provided by the sling was/is such that I still employ it on the 'scoped Marlin I mentioned. Too many folks I've visited with through the years honestly believe the only purpose of the sling is to enable carrying their rifle. Soooo very wrong!
    Yup -- I mostly use open sights and a sling.
    geo

I've got some military style semi-autos and some lever actions.
    The only one I have with a scope is a Rem700 in .30-06.

Using a sling is a good idea. And can make an improvement,,,,,,,, almost as good as proper coaching and practice.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I was putting scopes on all my rifles because of my extreme near sightedness. Then I had cataract surgery and paid for the more expensive lenses that adjust. Now I'm shooting my 30-30 and 25-20 happily with receiver sights.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

All of my levers are receiver sighted, or open barrel sights.
    Most all of my high power bolts and single shots (except rimfire) have scopes.
    But, am building a receiver sighted 257 Roberts bolt action now. And why? because I've learned through time that without a scope is usually easier to one hand carry. And, because for the range I can comfortably shoot those sights, the Roberts is basically point and shoot with no hold over.

I'm too broke to buy glass, so yeah.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    All the time in competition, and some hunting... He wants to get better accuracy, get a cheap .177 air gun and shoot standing for 20/30 minutes a day, in 30 days he will tighten his grope by half, in the next 30 days he will tighten his grope even more, continue every day and see the improvement..... Shooting is an acquired skill, to stay good practice is needed. With a .177 airgun a box of 500 pellets is say $5.00, a box of 20, 45/70 is what $70.00 ???

Good advice. I've never shot open sights well but I've never had time to practice. I should work on this myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    If your son is young enough and has good enough vision to still use open sights, here are a few suggestions:

1. If staying with open barrel mounted sights, I like a Sourdough front sight with a flat topped rear blade. The sourdough sight normally has a brass 45 degree section which shows up remarkably well, but even if it is blacked out, it still gives a good profile. The sight picture is akin to a handguns Patridge sights.

2. The Marlin is also very usable with a receiver sight, if he is a one load per gun type of guy, there isn't much wrong with a simple sight like the Williams 5D. Front sight of preference is still the sourdough, although the Ashley center stripe flat topped post works a well.

3. Failing that, a low powered Leupold works.

My eyes are getting bad enough that I don't hunt with iron sights anymore. I still like them but their use for me is limited to a range now. Even my around the house varmint Marlin Model 60 has a 4x Simmons scope on it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I still prefer to shoot with open sights on my leverguns, I think putting a scope on one ruins the balance of the rifle.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    All open sights, as the longest distance available at our rifle range is 400 yards. I actually own three scopes that came on three of my rifles, and they are safely stored in the closet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I still prefer to shoot with open sights on my leverguns, I think putting a scope on one ruins the balance of the rifle.
    Agreed, and I hate it for so many reasons. For me, it's a matter of keeping shots within 50 yards in good light, or with the FX II 2.5 x 20, hunting in most conditions I come across. I'd give anything not to have to do it, but I think nature has its way.

FWIW, I've been doing load development with my son's 336, Skinner peep, using Hornady LVRRev and some speer FP's. 50 yards, 37.2 gr LVR. I do have an eye RX, but find Lo-power readers get me close enough for him to go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37.2 LVRRev 30-30.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	315490

I think 50 yards might be a limit.
    -Paul

A few years ago.

Boolit Master

Antiques, C&R, and handguns use open sights most modern rifles have scopes.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    In thick country like the "jungles" of West Coast rain forest, its tree farms, or its river bottoms, you often have to be "greased lightning" to get a shot at close range. The old fashion buckhorn sight is the quickest in my experience. With a scope, all you might see is hair.

Dozen and a half+ military are all original iron sights, most of the 22's are open sights. The varmint rifles are all scoped, along with the egg shoot match rifle. Shot a bunch of double rifle/boomer English bolt guns that were all open sighted.

Over the last 10 years, its probably been 20 to 1 unscoped vs scoped rounds. Add air rifle to the mix and it probably goes 30+ to 1.

And air rifle offhand practice is tough to beat for the price. I've got a 24x32 heated work shop that diagonally, I can get 30+ feet of indoor practice during the winter. Shooting practice plus exercise(3 of the 4 air rifles are multi-pump, #4 is a side cock RWS.), what's not to like?

Except when the back stop isn't tough enough and I dimple the steel siding from the inside

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast