Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9MM 1911’s, Why?

Boolit Grand Master
    When you can buy 100 rounds for less than the price of 50 and you are one of the 90+% of shooters who don't reload, the 1911 9mm makes a ton of sense.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

9mm 1911 are soft shooting. Almost that perfect niche of knowing you are shooting a centerfire pistol but it has the gentle shoot all day recoil of a rimfire.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    In a single stack 1911 what’s the advantage of the 9 over the 45?
    Higher capacity
    Significantly less recoil
    9mm is much cheaper and much more available than 45

Why not go with 38 super if you want that extra round in the mag?
    Have you tried to buy a box of 38 Super lately? If you can find it, it's $$$...2x or more what 9mm costs

Boolit Master
    I seldom buy any commercial ammo. I cast and load for all my handguns. So I guess I wasn’t considering. cost/availability of factory stuff so much. I can see how that would be important to some people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    9mm 1911 are soft shooting. Almost that perfect niche of knowing you are shooting a centerfire pistol but it has the gentle shoot all day recoil of a rimfire.
    This! I’ve shot a friends 9mm 1911, it was soft shooting & accurate!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

First of all let me say I’m a fan of the 9MM cartridge and the 1911. I just don’t see that they compliment one another. I appreciate the 9MM for being an effective round that works in a trim high capacity handgun. I presently own three 9MM’s and carry my Sig P365 daily. Also my all time favorite pistol is my 1980 vintage Colt Combat Commander. I love the ergonomics and the 45 acp round seems perfect for the 1911 platform to me. However it seems that lately the trend is toward the 9MM in 1911’s. I have one friend who bought a SA Prodigy and another friend who just bought a Stacatto. Both of these guys already owned quality 1911’s in 45 acp. I even see that Bill Wilson has switched to the 9 in his 1911 carry gun. It seems to me that if the switch is due to mag capacity that the hipower and CZ 75’s filled that void decades ago and both are known for their ergonomics. In a single stack 1911 what’s the advantage of the 9 over the 45? Why not go with 38 super if you want that extra round in the mag? I’d truly like to hear from those who have made the transition.

100%!!

Month ago I saw some SINGLE ACTION Revolvers now chambered for 9mm!!! OMG, ITS FLAT WRONG!!!

I completely see a extra cyl but ZERO READON for one chambered exclusively. I for one, cannot wait for this absurd love affair with the 9mm to end.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Or . . . . one might also ask . . . "why not?"

As already mentioned, some don't reload so 9mm is cheaper. Some may like 9mm, the 1911 platform AND the history of the 1911.

I owned a Colt 1911A1 for probably 30 years - it was given to me - a navy pilot brought it home at the end of WWII. I liked the 1911 platform - I shot it some - even took a woodchuck on the farm with it once, but I just never cared for the 45acp that much . . . . but I'll shoot 45 Colt or Schofield all day long out of a SAA . . . go figure. I ended up selling the 1911A1 as it was pristine and a collector wanted it in the worst way. If I hadn't, it would be a safe queen. At times though, I've thought about getting a 9mm 1911 'cause I reload 9mm and like the cartridge, have more than a lifetime supply of brass, etc.

I'm surprised that nobody has asked "why make a 1911 in 22 rimfire?" Yet they are made. I have one that is a Sig - not a target pistol . . . not a "carry gun" . . . but certainly fun to shoot and plink with.

Kind of boils down to some like blonds, some like redheads . . . . but regardless of blond or redhead, they're all women.

I wouldn’t mind having a 1911 in 9mm- but I’d rather have one in .40 S&W.
    But…I’ll probably just keep shooting my .45s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the same Man already created the hi-cap 9mm and the .45._
    both full size, both battle-proven_
    in full awareness of my superficiality of judgement,
    compared to the efforts and money invested to invent better full size mousetraps,
    this don't seem to me to have innovated much, except mixing and remixing both with difficulty using alloys, plastics and injection molds.
    some overall weight on unloaded alloy/plastic ones has been saved, sometime_bulk not.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-29-2023 at 09:53 PM. Reason: bulk not
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I have three 45 caliber 1911s. A Hardballer long slide, a custom Caspian race gun and another custom Caspian SD. All are great, but the one I shoot best AND thus enjoy shooting the most is an STI Targetmaster long slide in 9mm.
    Why a 9 mm 1911, why not?

Attachment 315517

Made in 1917, got my concealed carry using this, my favorite.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Several have said that they “shoot the 9MM” in the 1911 better. Surely that’s a personal quirk. The 45 acp is legendary for it’s accuracy.

Boolit Master

Several have said that they “shoot the 9MM” in the 1911 better. Surely that’s a personal quirk. The 45 acp is legendary for it’s accuracy.
    It's also somewhat legendary for the inability of many to shoot it well. I love it personally, but we have to call a spade a spade here - thumpy recoil and casual practitioners don't usually mix well.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Less recoil equals less sensitivity to minor grip variations. I shoot my 22LR 1911's and my 45 ACP Bullseye and Hardball 1911's about the same if I stay on top of my grip. If a get sloppy with my grip the 22's shoot the same. The 45 ACP not so much. I experience the same with the M-14/1A's verse the 5.56 AR15 when shooting HighPower competition. With the M-14 inconsistencies in your position show a lot more than with the AR15.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Long before the 9mm became popular in the 1911 platform we were fitting 6" 9mm bbl's in our 38super race guns. That setup started my love affair with the lyman 358311. 4.4gr of unique would put that 158gr rn in the +/- 1060fps range in those 6" bbl's. Ran that round nosed bullet in everything after that, 38spl/357/9mm.

Call me old fashioned, grew up shooting 1911's and still prefer them along with their grip angle to this day. Several years ago I thinned the herd of a lot of firearms. Did a clean sweep of the 1911's and the 22lr pistols and revolvers. Bought a springfield armory range officer in 45acp and used a marvel 22lr conversion kit on it that I had laying around when I wanted to shoot a rimfire 1911.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Loved the accuracy of that ro/45acp. Shot a lot of bullseye and a h&g 68 clone in it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The ro/45acp actually does pretty good with any 200gr cast bullet. 3 different bullets/same powder & weight.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Shooting the marvel conversion on that 1911 was soft shooting and accurate enough. It reminded me of the 1911/9mm platform and how much I missed it. Ended up selling the marvel conversion and buying another springfield ro chambered in 9mm. Much better!!! The pair of 1911 ro's.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bought a mihec 125gr fn mold for that 1911/9mm and came up with a +/- 1050fps load that is accurate and is soft enough for my aging arms/hands to do 400/500 round range sessions.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well worth considering

Boolit Master
    Forrest r, I’d say you do better than “pretty good” with whatever 1911 you’re holding.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I for one, cannot wait for this absurd love affair with the 9mm to end.
    121 years and counting, I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

Personally I think a well-loaded 380 is about where its at, the 9x19mm has an issue with case taper and base diameter that makes re-sizing and reloading a bit finicky but that's really nitpicking.

As for the 1911? Many people want a classic, reliable, well-handling all-metal design and they see that in the 1911. Many jurisdictions worldwide have legislated for magazines holding no more than 10 rounds, and some legislate against calibre as well - under .45 or under .40 - and some ranges have restrictions on the calibres used as well. And here you're starting to get into the popularity of 9mm.

9mm in a 1911 complies with all that mumbo and gives a competitive, easy-shooting, accurate and still substantially powerful round that enables participation in recognised competitions (eg IPSC) as well as being an original chambering in many military / law enforcement sidearms and submachineguns.

Are 9/1911's everyone's cup of tea? No. Are they suitable for a very wide range of users? Yes.

- boingk

Boolit Master

I mean one COULD put a 4cyl. Even a turbo'd - boosted - nitroed motor into a Corvette... BUT THEY DON'T

Everything has its place, and 9mm DOES NOT need be everywhere! ESPECIALLY when a superior 38Super is a STANDARD CALIBER ESTABLISHED!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banner Sponsor

A friend of mine just took a class on building 1911s. He built it in 9mm for his wife who because of nerve damage cannot handle a 45acp any longer.
    The 9mm is very soft shooting.