RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 vs 300Blackout

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Actually if you read my first post, I was questioning why the 30-30 is often looked down on as anemic, while there is much more enthusiasm for the 300BLACKOUT when ballistic charts don't match that.

I should have worded the title better.
    i dont think ive ever heard one person on here call th 3030 anemic. the bo is not as powerful as a 3030 and cant be loaded to be. now a better comparison would be the 762x39 or the 300hmr

30 bk with pointed bullets at the same speed as the flat-round nose 30-30 bullets tell another story, drop and retained speed are better with the 30 bk according to nosler reloading books (volumes 1,2 and 3).

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    30 bk with pointed bullets at the same speed as the flat-round nose 30-30 bullets tell another story, drop and retained speed are better with the 30 bk according to nosler reloading books (volumes 1,2 and 3).
    The 30-30 150gr velocity is 2390fps. Most 150gr .300 blk is 1900fps. Those max loads I posted above are 2150fps. There is no usable distance where the .300blk spitzer catches up with the velocity of the 30-30.

125gr 300blk=2200fps
    125gr 30-30=2570fps.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    Pretty standard info for flat nose vs pointed. Both can be loaded in either/or.

BTW - what's a 30 bk?

Below is the fastest load data from all the powder manufacturers

110gr: 30-30= 2725 /// 300blk=2474 Difference= 251fps

125gr: 30-30= 2778 /// 300blk=2402 Difference= 376fps

150gr: 30-30= 2533 /// 300blk= 2158 Difference= 375fps

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Below is the fastest load data from all the powder manufacturers

110gr: 30-30= 2725 /// 300blk=2474 Difference= 251fps

125gr: 30-30= 2778 /// 300blk=2402 Difference= 376fps

150gr: 30-30= 2533 /// 300blk= 2158 Difference= 375fps
    Numbers are useless facts used by engineers. Real experts know the value of the “magic” factor
    Don Verna

i have yet to see a 150gr bullet out of a lever action 30-30 with a 18-20" barrel at over 2500 fps, maybe out of a bolt action rem 788. none of my loading manuels list it.

Boolit Bub
    look i know the 30 30 is a good round but comparing it to the 300 is silly,
    a spade is a spade unless you want a sod shovel.
    why not 6.5 c vs 270? when 270 wins hands down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	315638

Banned

6.5 creed is the second biggest fish hook the gun industry ever caught buyers with. the 6.5 sweed beats it in every catagory and so does the 260 rem and 708. but the biggest imo is the 270. the 280 beats at everything and even then neither do anything a good old 06 wont do better. Old Jack O Conner must have had a good laugh at everyone drinking his kool-aid. i can remember back in the day all the idiots that wanted people to think they were gun savoy bought truck loads of 270s and 06s sat on the shelves. used to chuckle at those idiots with their noses in the air at the gun range.

This thread put the .300 HAM'R on my radar. It is what the .300BLK should have always been and it does get close to the 30-30 when you subtract 100fps from the 30-30 loads to account for load data being in a 24" test barrel when most rifles have a 20" barrel. Crazy that the .223 brass just needed to be cut a little bit longer to get there.

If I hunted deer I'd have my .300BLK rechambered.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 07-04-2023 at 11:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t seen the 300 blk shoot any great shakes at 100 yrds or more with cast bullets.
    A 30-30 in a good rifle can shoot better than 1.5 moa on demand with cast.
    Am I missing something?
    Not that I want to knock the 300 blk.
    I think it would do good service as a light walk about gun.

It beats me when people say that this (300 blk)or another light duty rifle is good enough for their inexperienced child to shoot a deer or hog, but not up to snuff for themselves.

Them kids must be soo much better than their mentors to pull of things like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I haven’t seen the 300 blk shoot any great shakes at 100 yrds or more with cast bullets.
    A 30-30 in a good rifle can shoot better than 1.5 moa on demand with cast.
    Am I missing something?
    Not that I want to knock the 300 blk.
    I think it would do good service as a light walk about gun.

It beats me when people say that this (300 blk)or another light duty rifle is good enough for their inexperienced child to shoot a deer or hog, but not up to snuff for themselves.

Them kids must be soo much better than their mentors to pull of things like that.
    fly over here and ill show you one, matter of fact two if you count my ruger american. I've had probably a dozen 94 wins and none of them would hold a candle to my blackouts punching paper. probably owned a dozen 336 marlins too. had a couple good ones that would do as good but not better and most of them didnt compare. also when your questioning my calling it a good deer rifle for 100 yard shooting ive found that out by actually killing deer not tapping on a keyboard being a smart ass. ive probably averaged 50 deer a tear for the last 15 years doing crop damage shooting so i have a decent grasp on what it takes to kill a deer, how many have you killed to base your opinion on

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    . also when your questioning my calling it a good deer rifle for 100 yard shooting ive found that out by actually killing deer not tapping on a keyboard being a smart ass.
    I never questioned you calling it a good deer rifle for 100 yrds.

I don’t know why you seem so offended.

I did not flame you at all.

I merely stated what I have read about people using lower recoil or lighter loads to allow their kids to shoot deer or game when they would not use the same themselves.

For your own interest and fuel for the fire.

I have killed exactly zero, nudda, deer.
    I have hand fed a chattel deer once at a farm and it is the only time I have ever seen live deer.

I have shot quite a few pigs and other things with 22lr in my time.
    Unfortunately I never usually had something bigger in my hands most of the time, otherwise I could gloat to everyone about how wonderfull I was.
    Yeah look at me I blew the shot out of it.Blahh blahh blahh !

Ha.

I do enjoy shooting cast bullets thou.
    Reckon I would do just fine thankyou.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 07-05-2023 at 06:08 AM.

Banned

i tend to stick to giving advice based on my experience. i also tend to shoot right from the hip. no bs and no passing on what i "what ive seem on the internet" what i dont do is get offended by someone else. Im sure not the most politically correct poster on here but im one of the oldest members here and if you ask anyone thats been around here for a while and they will tell you theres not an ounce of bs in me and if i post it you can take it to the bank. Seems it wasnt me that was offended and my post wasnt to offend you. what you did infer was the bo isnt enough gun for whitetail and your simply wrong and i dont know how to sugar coat it.

There's a reason certain people wind up on my ignore list.

Boolit Master
    I agree with you about the kids and wives thing. A guy I knew wouldn't go elk hunting without his .300mag, but, a 270 was good enough for his wife and son. I asked him one time why his wife was such a better shot that she could get her elk with such a wimpy cartridge. I don't think he spoke to me about guns or hunting after that

I had always wanted a lever gun. Finally got a nice Win94 and shot it a while. It was accurate enough for hunting.....but I don't hunt. Yeah, 1.5MOA is probably as good as I did with it. Not very exciting to me. So, I sold it off and went back to bolt actions.

The wide variety of accuracy with the BO can be attributed to the wide quality range in AR uppers. Many are using the cheapest ones they can find (and sometimes the shortest barrel) and the accuracy shows. If you get a quality upper made for accuracy I would bet that sub MOA shooting would be not that difficult.

Banned

thats another wives tail. all 3 of my bos are cheap psa upper guns. my 16 in gun is sub moa. my 8.5 pistol with a burris relex 3x will do 1.5 in at a hundred. my 7 in gun wheres a red dot and has a cheap psa trigger and honestly ive never shot groups past 50 yards with it but it will pound steel 8in targets at a hundred yards off hand with cast bullets. that 16 inch gun will shoot full power pc coated 130 rcbs spitzers into 1.5in groups all day long. if i had a choice between a higher dollar barrel and a hundred dollar drop in trigger id take the trigger all day long. honestly if you had a 1.5in 94 you had an exceptional one. most shoot groups twice that size. If you cut through the bs half the bolt guns ive owned where realistically inch and a half guns. truthfully in my experience if you bought t bolt guns and 5 cheap ars and averaged the best you could get out of them my bet would be on the ar's. ive own cheap 556 guns that will shoot moa with ball ammo using a scope and a good trigger
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-05-2023 at 10:46 AM.

.30 HAM'R -- Has better performance but is restricted on the weight/size of bullets. It does make a great longer range hog gun. I also have the CVA SS, fun gun. Going to try some 145gr PB with WSF when the temp goes down a bit. Should be about 1200 fps. I've run the same bullet 2150 from the carbine and accurate @ 100. I have bigger guns for when they are needed. For what you spend to get a martini or RB, the CVA just is a better choice.
    Whatever!

As someone who's done some reloading with 30-30 WCF and starting to load with .300BO, here's my opinion on the matter.

I'd say both cartridges are medium powered game-getters, but one of them, 300BO, has the versatility advantage over 30-30, being both semi-automatic and able to vary its projectile weight by nearly 100 grains, with viable loads at both ends of the weight spectrum.

30-30 also has the limitation of using Large rifle primers, which are darn hard to find these days, but 300BO can use small rifle primers, which are a lot more common.

For me, personally, I've had much more success with 30-30, as I'm currently having a spot of trouble getting rounds to feed for my 300BO rifle, but I'm certain to find something my feed ramps like in due time.

It's a shame when people put down some older cartridges just because they are older. Heck, just you wait and see when those 6.5 Creed fanboys hear about 243 Winchester!

Here’s how it plays out at my house.
    The .30 Carbine is almost a .300 BO, the .300 BO is almost a 30-30, the 30-30 is almost a 30-40, the 30-40 is almost a 30-06, the 30-06 is almost a .300 Winmag.
    The key word is ALMOST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast