Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Compound bow optics for aging eyes?

Compound bow optics for aging eyes?

I know this is a firearms forum, and will check in elsewhere, but in looking at an optics for revolver thread it's something I've been thinking on, musing about the upcoming fall. Pretty much concluded I have to let the peep go on my lever, in favor of my existing FX II 2.5 x 20. Would love to extend the season and get back into bowhunting, which is how I started (with big game, anyway. Grew up hunting the chapparal with my Model '97 and 20 gauge). Haven't drawn in a long, long time but imagine the standard peep system is out. I know a crossbow is an option, but honestly, I'm not ready to give up bowhunting yet. Anyone bowhunt with aging or poor eyes? Solution?
    Last edited by huntinlever; 06-26-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

They do make a magnifier sight with crosshairs to fit a compound.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Compound is nice cross bow for old guys is better. More sights available for the crossbow

Boolit Master
    I’d get a peep with a clarifier and a 2 or 4x lense for the sight. I’ve been contemplating getting a 2x lense to help with my 60 to 70 yard shots. Lancaster Archery supply has a bunch of options. I also switched to a single pin sight. I shoot better with the single pin on my main bow than the multi pin sight on my backup even though they are almost the same bow just slightly different cams.

Boolit Master
    Put a lighted pin on your bow and use a larger peep sight in your string. It doesn’t matter how big the peep is, your eye will center the pin. The more clutter and gimmicks you use, the more you’re going to have go wrong. Called the KISS system (Keep It Simple Stupid). I’m 74 and I’ve had cataract surgery on both eyes….and I’m still stacking them up with the bow.

Boolit Master
    Have had a red dot 1" tube sight (Armson OEG and a UltraDot) on my compound since the 80's. Not only good for old eyes, it's better in low light. Tough finding mounts but they are out there. Wife's compound had a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

Winelover