RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS Pro 2000 questions

Boolit Bub

RCBS Pro 2000 questions

Looking for opinions from Pro 2000 owners or anyone that has been paying attention to them over the past few years. Wondering what the market for them is like? Are there enough old ones around to pick up a used one under $250ish ? I have shell plates for every cartridge I reload from my Piggyback2. Most of the info I see about them is 10-15 year old.

Trying to decide to go a new route or stick with RCBS 5 station compatible since I have 15 or so shell plate that I would have to replace. I don't shoot one caliber alot but I do shoot alot of different ones.

Thanks for any advise or leads on a unit you might offer.

John

Boolit Man
    I really like mine and have a good bit invested into it. Things like shell plates and die heads are becoming an issue. Die plates in particular. They are available pretty much only direct from RCBS or used. New from RCBS they are around $60 each.
    If I were starting out today I'd get a Dillon 550.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Perry View Post
    I really like mine and have a good bit invested into it. Things like shell plates and die heads are becoming an issue. Die plates in particular. They are available pretty much only direct from RCBS or used. New from RCBS they are around $60 each.
    If I were starting out today I'd get a Dillon 550.

Thanks Chuck, I don't know a thing about Dillion stuff. I hear so much both ways about them it's hard to know. Maybe I'll just sit on the fence and hopefully stumble on a deal or not. I found a second Piggyback the other day for $150 with a RC press.

First prize is to find one that already has the primer slide upgrade, I don't have the APS system on mine, so I can't say how good it is.

I got mine used with the auto-index upgrade as well, but I've reverted to using the star wheel.

I suggest you don't resize rifle brass on it. Also, lube all your handgun brass, and let the lube dry before reloading.

The weak point of this press is the shoulder bolt. The shellplate tension of case extraction from the sizing die can cause the rim of the shoulder bolt to shear off. Same problem on the Ammomaster progressive.

If you do get the press, get a few extra shoulder bolts from RCBS. I got a few recently, they make them on order.

If you have a number of calibers you want to reload for, and if RCBS don't have any, it will be worth your while to take a sample toolhead to a CNC shop, and have them make you as many as you need. I was lucky my local supplier had a few, and I bought them all.

If you're not fussy about the powder measure, a Hornady case activated measure with inserts is a great solution for multiple caliber reloading.

Boolit Mold
    There's one up on fleabay right now with a $500 stating bid. It has the auto-index and two extra die plates but still uses the APS primers. No takers so far.

There are a few ways to look at it.

For a new reloader looking for a first progressive, it's potentially a very expensive paperweight. Some spare parts are still available from RCBS, most aren't, and there is no case feeder option for it.

In the $500+ price range, it makes more sense for a new reloader to buy something new, like the Lee Pro 6000. Dillon has a press at that price range too.

For someone with mechanical aptitude, able to tune it and make small parts when needed, it can be a functional progressive press.

If you have space on your bench,are looking for something interesting to add, have the time and ability to get it running, I think it's worth that much.
    Last edited by 414gates; 07-08-2023 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling, addendum

Boolit Bub
    I just looked at it yesterday and then today it was sold for 650. The more I learn about 2000's the better set up they seem to be, especially since I have so many shell plates.

Boolit Man
    It's a strong press that should last forever with correct use and a little maintenance. The few times I've needed parts from RCBS I had no problems. RCBS recently sent me a few parts for my Rock chucker II which has been out of production a long time, no problem. The Pro2000 priming system needs cleaned occasionally, especially if you deprime on it. Inline Fabrication makes a strong mount and roller handle for it. I have both and they really make it nice. No one makes a lighting system specifically for it but there are a few that fit.

I like the 2000, especially the APS primer system. I have no desire to convert it to a tube system. I also bought a PC7 press with a tube system and I like the Pro 2000 priming system better. It's only downside is no case feeder....I thought I didn't need one. But eventually I invented the one below, to see if I could....and bought & use a Hornady Pistol Bullet feeder with it, when I decided I really did prefer feeders. Not so much for speed, but to reduce the number of things one has to juggle to load. Eventually, I bought a 3D printer and made a collator to feed that homemade case feeder. (second video) Very happy with it, and I modified the Hornady bullet feeder to flip bullets....speeding it up 3X.

Feeders really do simplify the brain juggling you have to keep track of and keep up with when using a progressive. I found it just safer to be able to focus on power drops.

Last edited by GWS; 07-10-2023 at 10:27 AM.

I have one that I used for a bit to load .223. I'm not a fan of the APS primer system. I think I would have been better off trying out straight-walled pistol loading as my first load.

I don't hate it. It's a machine and it does what it's supposed to do.

I bought it used and it was missing some parts which RCBS promptly replaced for me at no charge even though I tried to insist on paying for them! I did break a part and it was replaced, again, no charge but life threw a few monkey wrenches my way and I haven't circled back around to setting it up again.

When I bought it, the guy had all but one of the shell plates I wanted and I was able to find that one relatively easily but that was about five years ago, I think.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the advise so far gentleman. I think my dram of finding a press for under 400 was kind of naïve? I guess I am not with out a way to reload right now so it's not an emergency. Message me or email (john4rest@aol) if anyone happens across one please!

Naive? Not at all.....

I have an RCBS Pro 2000 and even an RCBS Pro Chucker 7.

This year I bought Lee's new 6 station press and I love it!

Not kidding....6 stations.....and I'm finding it just as useful as my more expensive presses, including my brother's Dillon 650. Granted you get Lees tube case feeder.....but a lot of people get by with those just fine.....and you can buy or build electric case and bullet collators for it. Video below is my Lee 6 Pack testing .223 3Dprinted case AND bullet feeders. No powder or primers in this test, and only feeding bullets.....last two stations seating and crimping are empty....just testing the feeders.

Boolit Bub
    GW, I have alot of Lee stuff, and I admit I have not looked at 6pack press because I'll have price of sale priced press in shell plates.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnForrest View Post
    GW, I have alot of Lee stuff, and I admit I have not looked at 6pack press because I'll have price of sale priced press in shell plates.
    Well you didn't say "dream of a $400 press with 20 free shell plates." For that you ARE dreaming!

However, looking in Ebay, I found Pro 2000 shellplates from $25 to $75....a whole two of them. Rarity is approaching that of hen's teeth.....

Again at Titan, the 6-pack versions are also on sale, for $25.....way more plentiful. So maybe you could put all those shell plates you own....on Ebay for $35 and buy the Lee ones and still make a profit! or $75....

Last edited by GWS; 07-16-2023 at 07:19 PM.