MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: LLA to make NRA 50/50

Boolit Buddy

LLA to make NRA 50/50

Can a person use LLA to make the NRA 50/50 mix of Alox and bees wax, if so what would you mix it at?

I only ask because I have a bit around and don’t really plan to tumble lube anymore after I got my Lyman 450.

Boolit Grand Master

No, it isn’t the same stuff or consistency. You can use it as a component of a homemade lube suitable for use in the 450, but it won’t be NRA 50/50.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    Can a person use LLA to make the NRA 50/50 mix of Alox and bees wax, if so what would you mix it at?

I only ask because I have a bit around and don’t really plan to tumble lube anymore after I got my Lyman 450.
    So try it and see what the outcome is ?????
    Will not be NRA 50/50 but may work for you ???

Boolit Master
    This is the long hand version to reach your goal. The archives are very helpful. UPDATE The Alox 350 is the wax, the Alox 606 is the liquid. Still searching for the recipe using Alox 606.

UPDATE 2 Post #6

02-23-2008, 03:39 PM #12
    Molly
    Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range

From Molly:

Lee and Lyman sell "liquid Alox", and it works pretty well.

The formula for Alox 2138F (no longer available) is as follows:

Material Wt %
    Melt in a double boiler:
    Alox 350 7.00 (The exact amount isn’t critical. Use 10 or 20 parts if you want.)
    Slowly stir in until dissolved
    Petrolite C-700 3.00 (Microcrystalline wax)
    Blend until fully melted and dissolved.
    Add slowly with good mixing:
    Alox 350 90.00 (Remainder for a total of 97 parts Alox 350)
    Blend until uniform. 100.00 Alox 2138F

To make the NRA lube, you can now add 100 parts weight of melted clean, pure yellow beeswax to the preceding and mix well.

The NRA lube can be molded as you may desire. I’ve found it convenient to just pour it into small cans or even muffin tins. When I need to refill a sizer, it’s simple enough to set the can (or a muffin sized block in an aluminum measuring cup) in simmering hot water to melt the lube, and pour it into the sizer. Allow to cool well before using.

If you simply MUST have it in stick form, solder a tube of the desired diameter near the bottom of a gallon can, and open on both sides, and deburr. Fill the can with water and ice, and pour the tube full of molten lube. It'll harden pretty quickly, and can be pushed out with a stick. If you MUST have a hollow tube of lube, insert an old valve rod in the center opposite the fill side. (Play with a jig to hold it center.)Then pull it out before you eject the lube.

Alox 350 is one of a series of "oxidized petroleum fractions" (ie, partially burnt grease) originally developed by Alox Corp, of Niagra Falls, NY. However, they are now defunct, and the Alox line has been taken over by Lubrizol Corporation, who discontinued the Alox 2138F as too low in sales volume, but continues to offer the Alox 350 and a number of other Alox products, including the stuff sold as "Liquid Alox". You should be able to find them easily on the net at: http://corporate.lubrizol.com/.

Regards,
    Molly
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 06-26-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Banned

isnt the best lube as is. id bet worse deluded

Boolit Master
    Another update on the source for Alox product to make your own NRA 50/50 lube. The 350 product was also discontinued and White Label lubes has located another product that can be used to prepare the lube. I was reminded of this by a fellow list member. Here is the link for the correct product to prepare the stick lube, but not using the LLA liquid lube.

https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index....bta7redbkqt4g7

Boolit Master
    I visited with my friend in VA and he does use the LLA and church candle stubs which are high in bees wax. They also contain tallow, paraffin and burn clean. He blends the ingredients in a double boiler and mixes 50% LLA and 50% candle stubs. If you use bees wax you may need to adjust the ratio slightly. Mix by weight because that will be much easier to deal with than volume.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I visited with my friend in VA and he does use the LLA and church candle stubs which are high in bees wax. They also contain tallow, paraffin and burn clean. He blends the ingredients in a double boiler and mixes 50% LLA and 50% candle stubs. If you use bees wax you may need to adjust the ratio slightly. Mix by weight because that will be much easier to deal with than volume.
    Thank
    You dusty, I figure with the number of the bottles I have around I wanted to try to use them for something other then collecting dust.

Boolit Master

You may try making some Ben’s Red Lube for your 450 sizer. I made a batch several years ago and store it in my freezer. I take out a quart bag of the cubes and make up my lube sticks as I need them.

50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson’s Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...en-s-Red-today
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banner Sponsor

My concern with making stick lube from LLA is that it contains Mineral Spirits, which will evaporate and change the consistency of your lube over time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    My concern with making stick lube from LLA is that it contains Mineral Spirits, which will evaporate and change the consistency of your lube over time.
    When heated and mixed with melted beeswax and "cooked" for 15 -20 mins , stirring constanly with a whisk ... the mineral spirits will evaporate out and not be a problem after hardening .
    Just be sure to cook it long enough while stirring for the mineral spirits to all evaporate out ... a large batch may take longer , adjust time accordingly .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"