Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: New guy

New guy

My introduction; recently purchase a large bore handgun and am interested in casting. I want to get in slowly so will probably be looking to get by with the basics while deciding if I need to cast my own bullets. I have poured fishing weights but I realize bullets should be more precise than pouring lead into a thumb depression in the damp sand.
    I am in North Platte will be retiring from railroad soon. I enjoy shooting, fishing, old cars, old motorcycles, gardening, but mostly grandkids.
    Looking forward to learning on this forum.

Welcome! If you have been pouring good, we’ll defined fishing weights, you should transition easily to bullets. Put some thought into what you are casting for. Pressure and velocity will determine the alloy you need to use.

You are starting down a rabbit hole………

Now how to size them.
    Now how to lube them…..

Lotsa fun.
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the games "may the odds always be in your favor" you will find this to be a very informative group of people. Casting for fishing is where I started as well.

Casting is harder than buying bullets and more time consuming, less costly…. But how much are you going to shoot that big bore?
    I upgraded to full on hobby to cast and go out to the shop more often. Then there is lubing and reloading and lead. I have a lot of time. Then there is coffee and shooting and going to range. Not trying to talk you out of it. You have a lot of stuff to do!

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard! Feel free to ask questions. A search will find the answers to most questions but we don't mind answering and some will provide a link that you can click on. The stickies are worth reading as you have the time.

Banned

Welcome aboard! You didn't mention the caliber or whether or not you handload for it. If you don't handload for a "large bore handgun" you most likely won't shoot it very often due to ammo costs and availability. There are substantial savings in loading large bore calibers, even if you buy the bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

From this forum you surely will learn!!! My initial recommendation, after a "hello" -- is to download (it's FREE!) the Guide to Bullet Casting book by Glen Fryxell You need but click: http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm I'd guess a great majority of your questions vis this wonderful hobby have answers in this book.
    (As a side note I have perhaps almost 100 different angling moulds -- and have always cast using these aluminum, handled devices. I'd never given pouring lead on damp sand -- which gives me the "willies" -- you may wish to Google "the Tinsel Fairy" who's effects range from simply scaring/startling the you-know-what about those who experience it -- to even severe burns, blindness, and even death. The teeeniest bit of any moisture and molten lead -- a MAJOR NO-NO!!!!!!!!)
    I hope you get into bullet making and enjoy it as much as most, including me, on the site do!
    But, please, BE SAFE!!!! A full truckload of store-bought bullets, imho, is much less "costly" than even one eye.....
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by birdshot View Post
    My introduction; recently purchase a large bore handgun and am interested in casting. I want to get in slowly so will probably be looking to get by with the basics while deciding if I need to cast my own bullets. I have poured fishing weights but I realize bullets should be more precise than pouring lead into a thumb depression in the damp sand.
    I am in North Platte will be retiring from railroad soon. I enjoy shooting, fishing, old cars, old motorcycles, gardening, but mostly grandkids.
    Looking forward to learning on this forum.
    If you cast and powder coat and hand load your own ammunition then you will be able to shoot that gun very much more. Your limitations will be primers brass gunpowder and bullets.

My suggestion may be to locate some Hi-Tek coated bullets and learn how to hand load with cast bullets then when you are ready to make the jump for higher performance then get more serious about melting lead and pouring it into molds.

Bullet casting is by far the most difficult part of the hand loading process I have ever tried.

Bullet casting is by far the most rewarding part of the bullet casting process I have ever tried.

What gun are you shooting?

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum birdshot.
    Decades ago, when I got into reloading, it was because of the 44 Mag.
    13 years ago, when I got into casting, it was because of the 44 Mag.
    Reloading is simple, but you have to be mindful of the details and not letting yourself get sidetracked...safety first. I suspect you already know this, why am I mentioning it? Well, casting is the same thing. It's simple but you have to be mindful of the details and not letting yourself get sidetracked...safety first.
    Get yourself a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Ed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Big bore is my middle name... so is casting and reloading. I got several middle names...

You are in the right place, and it is mucho cheaper to cast your own and also a lot more variety. Read and ask lots of questions and it might save some money and skin.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Just from reading the replies my knowledge of casting bullets has already doubled.
    The Gun I wish to cast for is a BFR 500 Linebaugh with a five and one half inch barrel. The bullet diameter of .512 limits my choices. I purchased some Grizzly 525 grain loads to get some brass. Those 525 had substantial recoil. I’m thinking I need a 400 grain bullet for recreational shooting.
    Last edited by birdshot; 06-25-2023 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...vity-pb-smith/

You could try here, I bought the 3 cavity version to feed a Trapdoor in 50-70. It works better than this:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010199294.

Boolit Master

Welcome to our madness and its addiction. Cast, reload, shoot more, and SAVE (over an equivalent number of factory rounds). The cost of equipment to reload and cast is "negligible" (the sky is the limit) and quickly amortized over the number of rounds fired. Expendables should be your current focus, lead, wheel weights, flux, lube, tin, primers, and powder. Non-expendable brass can be achieved from resellers or from a short supply of factory ammo.

For melting lead and wheel weights you need:
    1.) a steel vessel (1/2 propane tank) in quantity approaching 100-pounds - ymmv (see #6 and #7)
    2.) propane turkey fryer capable of supporting 100+pounds and fuel tank
    3.) a steel mold, or two or three, in which to pour molten alloy to achieve 2- to 3-pound ingots
    4.) flux of crayon, candle wax, and/or sawdust
    5.) long handle spoon for removing dross

Or...

6.) 10- or 20-pound pot, bottom pour or ladle, for melting ingots (or smaller qty's of Pb, WW's, & Sn)

Or...

7.) other suitable steel vessel for melting smaller qty's
    8.) start with cheap(er) used boolit mold(s) from S&S forum here

A.) slug your bore
    B.) boolits of 0.001" to 0.002" over-bore diameter function more accurately and with less leading
    C.) lube boolits as you read and learn [tumble, lube-size & PC (need other equipment)]
    D.) flare die (minimally) needed or brass shaving at case neck may result when boolit seating

These are the rudimentary needs. Some may be fashioned. Some may be purchased.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 06-26-2023 at 09:05 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Since the OP is planning to cast and reload for a revolver, there are corrections to the above post.

A.) slug your bore
    More important that the bullets are sized to cylinder throats (or slightly larger) to prevent leading in the barrel.

B.) boolits of 0.001" to 0.002" over-bore diameter function more accurately and with less leading
    Loaded rounds must chamber freely and fall out under their own weight. Sometimes called the "Plunk" test.

C.) lube boolits as you read and learn [tumble, lube-size (need a machine), PC (need other equipment)]
    Many methods of bullet lubricating. Cheap and fast is the Lee Liquid Alox, applied in very light coats and allowed to dry between coats. Some prefer the soft wax bullet lubes to provide a good seal to prevent gas blowing by the bullet in the cylinder and barrel which will lead to lead being deposited in the barrel.

D.) flare die (minimally) needed or brass shaving at case neck may result when boolit seating
    This is already in the straight wall die set so more than likely a moot point.

Take your time, read the suggested material, be safe and have fun.

Boolit Master
    Welcome
    Get a book on casting bullets.
    Get a Lee mold in your caliber and weight.
    Get to casting and pour a few.
    Reading the casting book and try to reload using your results.
    It's not hard but it requires attention to get it right.
    Enjoy!