Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Classic "O" press die adapter?

Boolit Master

Lee Classic "O" press die adapter?

I have an at-least 15-year-old (iron) Lee Classic "O" press. I am having a push-through sizing die made that may need larger dies than standard. Lee's web page on the Classic "O" press includes the following: "The original Classic Cast designed to work with large series 1 1/4-12 dies. Includes breech lock quick change adapter and breech lock bushing to accept standard 7/8-14 dies."

To the best of my knowledge, the press has not changed. What has occurred and remains ongoing is the Class "O" adds features by way of adapters of all sorts. But I cannot verify is whether my old version accepts Lee's adapter for using larger dies.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

If it has a screw in adaptor, it will accept the 7/8-14 dies, the adaptor is black in color and has a hex top so you can put a wrench on it.
    If there is no adaptor with the hex flats and a 7/8-14 die screws into the casting directly you cannot use the 11/4-12 dies.

Moderator Emeritus

All, old and new, LEE Classic Cast Iron single-stage presses have 1 1/4-12 threads and come with the adaptor for 7/8-14 threads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    All, old and new, LEE Classic Cast Iron single-stage presses have 1 1/4-12 threads and come with the adaptor for 7/8-14 threads.
    The chromed [or chomated or stainless steel] cylinder that lines the hole into which I thread in individual dies is its 7/8-14 adapter??, and removing that piece exposes 1 1/4-12 threads?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    There are three versions of the Classic Cast Single Stage press all of which have the same catalog number. The first and third versions have the frame tapped for 1 1/4 - 12 threads. The first version came with the black metal adapter to 7/8 - 14 threads and the third version came with a plastic adapter to the breechlock threading. In the second version (which was labeled the Breechlock Classic Cast Press) the press frame was "threaded" to take the Breechlock adapters directly. It was not threaded for the 1 1/4 - 12 threads. It came with a metal Breechlock to 7/8 adapter.

The first and third versions also disposed of the spent primers through the ram. In the second version the spent primers came into a holding chamber on the left side of the press then exited out of this through a plastic tube. This is the same method that is used for the Challenger press.

Naphtali - If the tube for the spent primers comes out of the ram the body of the press will be threaded 1 1/4 - 12. if it comes out of the press from the chamber on the left side of the ram the frame will have breechlock threading
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    Yes there are two different versions ......I ordered the "Classic Cast" ,but when I got the thing it was the quick thread version ......complained to no avail .......anyhoo,the differences noted in post #5 include a different frame ...the two versions are not interchangeable.........unless ......you have a 1 1/4 x12 tap ..........I must say ,the breechlock idea surprised me ...there is a lot of machining involved in the adaptor part for a coupla bucks .

The ram on the old press is one solid piece and will not accept the larger diameter dies, unless you get the 2 piece ram from Lee or Titan.
    If the primer catch is on the side, instead of down the hollow ram. Your press will not accept large dies because the breech lock adapter is milled into the frame, instead of being removable.
    I believe the side-catch version is being discontinued.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator Emeritus

I stand corrected.
    thank you C.F.Plinker and others, for telling us of the differences.
    I wasn't aware of the second version.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    There are three versions of the Classic Cast Single Stage press all of which have the same catalog number. The first and third versions have the frame tapped for 1 1/4 - 12 threads. The first version came with the black metal adapter to 7/8 - 14 threads and the third version came with a plastic adapter to the breechlock threading. In the second version (which was labeled the Breechlock Classic Cast Press) the press frame was "threaded" to take the Breechlock adapters directly. It was not threaded for the 1 1/4 - 12 threads. It came with a metal Breechlock to 7/8 adapter.

The first and third versions also disposed of the spent primers through the ram. In the second version the spent primers came into a holding chamber on the left side of the press then exited out of this through a plastic tube. This is the same method that is used for the Challenger press.

Naphtali - If the tube for the spent primers comes out of the ram the body of the press will be threaded 1 1/4 - 12. if it comes out of the press from the chamber on the left side of the ram the frame will have breechlock threading
    My press is the first model with black adapter.

While I should click SUBMIT and finish the thread . . . despite missing both hex head screws, press functions correctly with 7/8-14 dies. To replace the screws, what is the size? Is the black adapter fastened or affixed with epoxy or LockTite? I suspect not, but I wouldn't want to ruin the press unintentionally.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    My press is the first model with black adapter.

While I should click SUBMIT and finish the thread . . . despite missing both hex head screws, press functions correctly with 7/8-14 dies. To replace the screws, what is the size? Is the black adapter fastened or affixed with epoxy or LockTite? I suspect not, but I wouldn't want to ruin the press unintentionally.
    since you can get standard 7/8 - 14 dies in your press, it sounds like (since you have an original press) you have only the 1 -1/4 12 adapter in place. By now it may be stuck. Try using a large wrench first. If you are not successful, apply a penetrating oil like Kroil to the adapter both at the top as well as from the bottom where the adapter screws in. Wait 24 hours then try the wrench again. If it doesn't work, reapply the Kroil and wait another 24 hours. Repeat daily until the adapter comes out. It took me 3 days until my adapter came out so be patient.

There should only be the adapter. What are the screws you mention?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    The 'breechlock ' system is actually very handy......unless you bought the press expecting a 1 1/4 x 12 capacity.........I also note ,when I got mine over 20 years ago ,the Lee was $200 less costly than a Rockchucker ,and $100 less than anything comparable........now they seem to be more expensive .

Boolit Master

Many thanks, guys, for responding with such clarity and precision. I hope all have a pleasant, safe Independence Day weekend.