Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Good lube for 3/8" thick wads in a Whitworth.

Good lube for 3/8" thick wads in a Whitworth.

Good afternoon gents, I have just received 200 hexagonal wads for my Paker Hale Whitworth from Peter Dyson in England. These wads are 3/8” thick. When I make up a dry trial cartridge with the felt wads and two sealing wads the cartridge end up at 5 1/4” long. Can anyone tell me what would be a good moist lube for these large wads, not too moist though so the wad and bullet lube melts through the cartridge paper.

Any help would be appreciated.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Bob, where did you get the mould from, CBE?

I soak my hex wads in melted BP lube, and sandwich it between two hard card wads. One card wad over the powder, the lubricated felt wad and then one card over the felt wad.
    The trick to the Whitworth is sealing the gases.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    When using a lube wad, I soak the felt wad in whatever lube, I plan on using for the load, I put a card wad over the powder then a plastic wad over that card wad, then the lube wad, then a plastic wad on top of lube wad, then set the bullet on top. Acts like a cleaner round, also keeps lube out of powder. You could try mutton tallow, parfin, bees wax, 2/2/1 by weight, harder/softer/ change amount of parifin ?
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 06-26-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Red River Rick,

The mold I am using at present is a conical mold from CBE. I don't have a hex mold at present, I'm putting away the bucks until I end up with $585.00. What is the melted BP lube you mention? Is it commercial or home-made? The SPG on its own is too hard when it cools. So I was considering using a mix of SPG and small amount of lamb fat. That should keep it soft but not too soft.

Bob.

Bob:

I make my own BP lube, equal parts of bee's wax, vegetable shortening and peanut oil. If you want a softer lube, reduce the amount of bee's wax.

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Just curious, is felt the original material used?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Just curious, is felt the original material used?
    I don't think so. They probably just used the paper that the cartridge was wrapped in and pushed it on top of the powder charge. The "Lubed Felt Wad" more than likely came in modern times.

My Feedback!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IIRC 50-50 by melted volume of mutton tallow and beeswax was used by the British Army throughout the black powder era. US Army substituted beef tallow in same ratio, Confederate Army used hog lard, Italian Army olive oil. All work well. I use the olive oil-beeswax.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Melted 50-50 mix of beeswax and Crisco.

Boolit Bub
    Bob,
    I've used beeswax and olive oil or lard, crisco, tallow, and had decent results with all of them. The nice thing about a beeswax lube is that the hardness can be adjusted for the weather conditions. A card wad of waxed milk carton or thin cardboard over and under the lubed wad will keep most of the lube out of the powder.

Boolit Bub
    I've also read about something called a grease cookie that's used in place of the wad. From what I can see the cookie is sandwiched between a cardboard wad on top and bottom of the grease and the felt wad is left out.
    I plan on trying both the felt wad and the grease cookie this fall when the oppressive heat has calmed down some.

Boolit Grand Master

Not knowing any better and living in 1960's Louisiana ... we would soak the wads in melted Crisco or ... Lard .
    I have heard the Beeswax and Lard (or Crisco) 50 / 50 is the proper thing to use , but we didn't know any better and just used Crisco Shortening ...the white stuff as our black powder lube .
    It worked !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"