RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Marlin .41 magnum carbine range report

Boolit Master

Marlin .41 magnum carbine range report

Posted a report under Politics called Ammo is available about buying .41 magnum online, which was an experiment - 230 grain CBs. Tested in the carbine, they grouped in groups cutting each each previous shot at 25 yards, except 2 out of 10 which seemed out due to slight tipping.

Tried another experiment today, got out a box of heavy bullet loads: NEI-SSK 411275 TCPB which cast at 295 grains, 18.0 grains H-110, CCI350 primers. Loaded in Feb 2002 for the Marlin and the Ruger Redhawk. Wanted to see if a magazine full of rounds made any difference in point of impact. (The Marlin 1894S holds 1 chambered and 9 in the magazine). Not so you would notice - I shot the 10th, 4th, and 1st rounds, same point of impact. Carbine has micro groove rifling.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Boolit Master

Microgroove rifling has never bother Me.
    I shot very hot #358156 cast of linotype without a problem. Later Cowboy Loads were not quite as accurate with softer alloy, but good enough for a 6" plate at 50yrds.

Ya just have to try and see. I've heard positive & negative from many other folks.
    Of the 4 Marlins I've owned with MG rifling, all shot very well for Me with lead bullets.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Microgroove barrels require casting and sizing at a larger diameter. I’d start at .431.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Microgroove barrels require casting and sizing at a larger diameter. I’d start at .431.
    The OP is loading for a 41 Mag. I am guessing you meant .411?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I’m envious of your Marlin .41 magnum , that is the one lever gun that has been on my list and haven’t been able to find, at least at a price I could afford. Sounds like it shoots well. I too have never had an issue with the micro groove barrel in my other Marlin lever guns.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    Henry firearms has a "suggestion" section in their "contact us" area. I just sent a suggestion that they make their Big Boy steel with the side loading gate in .41 mag..... They make it in .44, and they make the regular (no side gate) Big Boy in .41, so it seems it wouldn't be that difficult to make one with the side gate. I have one in .357, and I like it a lot.. since I recently acquired a Blackhawk in .41, I'd sort of like to have a lever gun to complement it.
    Their response was that "the more people we have that want a specific firearm, the more likely we are to make it".... or words to that effect.

So, if all the .41 mag folks were to petition Henry..... I think we'd get one. Just a thought.

Boolit Master
    I carry my 16.5 Henry and a 4 5/8s bhawk in the bottom about every time I go. My 6 gun has a peep sight one it.

Boolit Buddy

I have 2 Marlin .41 mag 1894's one an S and the other an FG.
    I size mine to .413 and have no troubles with the microgroove rifling. They also "plunk" in my Ruger Blackhawk and shoot just fine.
    I am using 235 gr bullet from an older group buy, built by Lee.
    Blkpwdrbuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Master
    my cast are Mp mold 212 cup points or just 220 FPgc and pc'd sized .410, .411
    the .41 mag 4 5/8s load is 230 grain Keith- over hs6. my 6.5 .41 is 22 gr of 296 over a 220 keith hp from a NOE mold.