WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: My First PP Muzzleloader Outing - Fired Patches Look Right?

Boolit Mold

My First PP Muzzleloader Outing - Fired Patches Look Right?

Been shooting roundball my whole life but finally lit off my slug gun for the first time. 100% new to conicals and paper patching. Having no idea what the barrel would like (it's .450 on the dot), I ordered some 400 gr .441s from BACO, 2 wraps of 9lb paper, and 75gr Swiss 3F. Just an Ox Yoke lightly lubed felt wad under the bullet. 1:18 twist 30" barrel. Growing up patched round ball and looking at patches, I made it a point to find a few of my fired paper patches just to see what might be left. I was shocked to find them as intact as they were. Ignore the photo of the rolled bullet, it was my first and the paper just a hair long, but do my fired patches look "right"? I rolled dry. Twisted tails were cut and pressed into cupped base, and generally intact after firing and I didn't see any burning. Patches were all within about 6 paces of muzzle. Am I on the right path here or anyone see something obvious I'm doing wrong? Waiting on some .060 veg wads, the .160 felt all I had handy. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230624_173027_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230624_172943_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Look's good to me.

Boolit Mold
    The load data is where I'm really flying blind. I suspect when I'm ready to start stretching my distances I'm gonna need a longer bullet and more powder. These .441s are available in 450, 500, and several weights north of 500.....any advice or load opinions as I move up in weight and charges? I figured for my test runs no longer than 100yds that the 400gr were fine and just kinda guessed at 75 grains of 3F ��

Boolit Master
    You might try to set up the patches so they go a little farther up the shank of the boolit just before the ogive begins, and just long enough to fold over the base with a small circle of exposed lead in the center.

This will assist in shredding the patch into smaller pieces, which will spin off the boolit sooner after it’s exited the barrel. Higher up the shank might seal the bore quicker; those triangular, smudged parts on your patches have been associated with gas blow-by by shooters.

Your 18 twist should handle boolits up to 525-545 gr weight. You might try 1-1/2 or even 1F powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    How's she group? Are you getting accuracy acceptable for your needs? I'm w/ Bent Ramrod about the change in powder. At least, I'd go to FFg. Whatever works is the right answer.

Boolit Mold
    Just a hobby shooter so my only real goal here was curiosity. Only had time for 10 shots and my first ever usage of a rear peep/peep tube. I chose WAY too big of a rear aperture. Didn't mess with elevation but had to adjust windage a little. Possibly the first time the sights been mounted since the 70s so not a terrible day. I think the load performed adequately and any accuracy issues were completely on me. The front post blended in to the black 100yd Bull so wasn't a great target choice, but my last 7 shots as I worked on windage adjustments were acceptable for my first trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230625_100307_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20230625_100247_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Pretty good group for first time out.

Boolit Master
    Aaaaaannnd down the rabbitt hole you go��! That's quite a setup you have, you should go far pilgrim. Open center bases with the patch and only up the sides no further than needed. I've shot 2f and 1.5 Swiss with good results, just listen to what your rifle likes. Crack on

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    Aaaaaannnd down the rabbitt hole you go
    Yes indeed Not the first or last rabbit I chase I'm sure

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, my. I just took a look at your photos. Outstanding. What a neat rifle. You don't need anybody's advice. Just keep on keeping on.