Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My Buddy’s Rossi 357 and Customer Service Report

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Awesome, glad to hear it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by fotog54 View Post
    So I spent a couple of hours at the range today. Had the whole range to myself, a private club and I'm a member. Start off by stating this is my first real lever action rifle, not counting BB guns! I shot about 100 rounds, a mixture of my 38 reloads and some factory 38 Special and .357 magnums. It wasn't perfect but after about 30 rounds I didn't have any actual shooting issues.

It shot a bit high and lowered the rear sight 1 notch and that pretty much put the point of impact right on at 50 yards.

Now about that loading gate.... Holy crap! There is no way in hades that gun needs to ship with such a stupidly strong loading gate spring! Seriously, I gave up trying to get 10 rounds in it! I shot in 4 or 5 round groups, one time I got 7 in. If you accidently let the gate fully close, you're pretty much done till you empty the magazine.

Also found some sharp edges and I'll share the pic of my bloody thumb!

But I like it! Needs some TLC, I'm retired but I was an airline mechanic, then a Field Service tech for medical equipment so I'm not afraid to take it apart and smooth it up. Lots of videos on YT for help.

Attachment 320608
    Attachment 320609
    Attachment 320610
    Attachment 320611
    Are you pushing each individual cartridge all the way in while trying to hold the gate to start the next round ? That's what it sounds like from reading your post. If so then you are loading it wrong . Push the first round three quarters in then use the next round to push that round in leaving the second round hanging 1/4 out to hold the gate door the next round. Maybe that is what you are already doing but it does not sound like it when I read your post. That is the correct way to load all side gate loading lever actions. If you Are pushing each individual round all the way in then those rounds put extra pressure on the gate and make it much harder to push it open to the point of being near impossible to open after the first 4-5 rounds .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Are you pushing each individual cartridge all the way in while trying to hold the gate to start the next round ? That's what it sounds like from reading your post. If so then you are loading it wrong . Push the first round three quarters in then use the next round to push that round in leaving the second round hanging 1/4 out to hold the gate door the next round. Maybe that is what you are already doing but it does not sound like it when I read your post. That is the correct way to load all side gate loading lever actions. If you Are pushing each individual round all the way in then those rounds put extra pressure on the gate and make it much harder to push it open to the point of being near impossible to open after the first 4-5 rounds .
    While I agree with leaving the last cartridge sticking out a bit to aid in loading, it should at least be "possible" to top off with the magazine gate in the closed position. My Winchester 92 is a bit stiff cause it's new, my Winchester 94 is pretty easy, but of course, with 30-30 you have a lot more leverage to move the loading gate out of the way.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    I am about to take up Cowboy Action Shooting. Reason I have not done so yet was when I went out to see how they did it I saw that after firing the 10 shots from the lever action they threw the rifle down on the table to move on. I'm not doing that with my mint condition Henry.

So I bought one of these. Bought the rifle and the revolver at the same time and then found out California went from one pistol per month to one pistol or semiauto rifle to now one gun period, so even through i bought it over a month ago I cant get the rifle until tomorrow.

As I will be firing almost exclusively 105 (which I now know to actually be 110) plain lead pan lubed with my own powder the oversized chamber may even be a plus. I don't mind beating this gun up a bit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    I am about to take up Cowboy Action Shooting. Reason I have not done so yet was when I went out to see how they did it I saw that after firing the 10 shots from the lever action they threw the rifle down on the table to move on. I'm not doing that with my mint condition Henry.

So I bought one of these. Bought the rifle and the revolver at the same time and then found out California went from one pistol per month to one pistol or semiauto rifle to now one gun period, so even through i bought it over a month ago I cant get the rifle until tomorrow.

As I will be firing almost exclusively 105 (which I now know to actually be 110) plain lead pan lubed with my own powder the oversized chamber may even be a plus. I don't mind beating this gun up a bit.
    I didn't know that about CA, one gun a month. Sorry to hear it, but thank you for sharing. I wouldn't want to throw my gun down either. I could see maybe having a cool buffalo hide or something similar for the gun to land on.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe I have not fired mine enough yet, but so far, my two new ROSSI'S R 92'S are feeding fine, no case bulges, and no problems. They are both stainless, and so far no problems.
    I will keep an eye out for some of the problems ya'll are talking about. I traded for a stainless, 16 inch barrel 38/357 and no problems. I also traded for a stainless 20 inch barrel
    45 colt/454 casull.
    I removed the safeties, and replaced with plugs from Steve's Gunz, replaced the rear sights with peep sights from him, and replaced the plastic mag followers with metal ones from him,
    So far all seems as it should

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Awesome! I'm going to have a Lyman 66 installed on mine soon as the 'smith has an opening.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345