Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Conicals

Boolit Mold

Conicals

Where do I go to learn about the best conical to shoot in my Hawken 50 cal, I am brand new to black powder.

Boolit Master
    That's a good question, and I'm sure that you're going to get some equally good answers. Just a heads up: There's a muzzleloading section on this forum where you can get even more answers to questions as you go. It's been many years since I had a front stuffer, but the urge to get another one seems to be persistent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of variables to work around to find the best and usually only experimentation will yield the answer. Powder amounts & type play a major factor in finding "the load". Also, the end purpose guides the path as to which conical is most appropriate. Without knowing much of your particulars, I'd hazard a guess that following the T/C handbook would be best. I like the T/C maxi-ball over the T/C maxi-hunter. Many other good choices out there, but that's what I like in a conical. I shoot FFg black or substitute and never really approach a maximum load. I've never found it necessary for either good accuracy or terminal performance. Others have their preferences for other very good reasons, but that is where I'd start.
    Welcome aboard, BTW.

Moderator Emeritus

I like the TC Maxi ball, though the Lee works OK too. First thing to check is your twist rate and if you have TC's quick load free-bored at the muzzle.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

What is the twist rate of your barrel? Hawkens were designed for round ball and do very well with them.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    1 in 48 should shoot round balls or maxi. Just my experience ; )
    H/D

Boolit Buddy
    I have had GREAT sucess with the Lyman Maxi-Ball out of a TC Renegade. Nothing is as accurate with about 75 grains of fffg powder.

Boolit Master

I've shot both the Lyman & T/C Maxi-Ball in My T/C Hawken. Both molds drop practically the same bullets. Both have proven to be accurate.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Try everyone you can get your hands on, light to heavy and see what your gun likes ??

I bought one of the Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken rifles with a 1 in 24” twist.
    I hope to use a heavy-ish paper patched boolit in that.
    Will report when I get out with that rifle.
    If you have one of those, bjoe, there may be a wide variety of boolits that will perform acceptably.

Boolit Master
    My T/C Hawken has a 1/48 twist so it shoots "conicals" and round ball equally well. After trying (and casting) several types of conicals I finally decided I preferred using sabots and a .429 semi -wadcutter of 265 gr. That setup worked exceedingly well on elk when I was still hunting them. I did find that one of my 50's both the bore greased as well as the outside of the sabot while another just wanted the outside of sabot lightly greased. Have patience! Welcome to the forum.

[QUOTE=bjoe;5591504]Where do I go to learn about the best conical to shoot in my Hawken 50 cal, I am brand new to black powder.[/QU

Your wallet.