RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to move away from Unique?

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    On a per ounce basis they are nearly the same price. The less then 16 oz isn't really new. Back in the '90s AA Nitro 100 came in 12 oz containers. Still does, but it isn't $10.50 a container like back then either.

45_Colt
    I seem to remember an IMR powder back in the late 80s and early 90s that was sold in a quantity less than 16 oz. Maybe as low as 8 oz. I don't remember which powder, since I was only loading .38/.357 and .44 Spl and Mag, so my only two powders were Unique and 296.

I think the container was the same physical size as the other powders, so at the time I just assumed that particular powder was bulkier.
    Last edited by TXTad; 06-25-2023 at 02:31 PM.

After years of just not getting around to it, I finally have a Lyman 429421. I'll definitely be using up some of my Unique under those 7.5 gr at a time!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    I seem to remember an IMR powder back in the late 80s and early 90s that was sold in a quantity less than 16 oz.
    Probably SR4759. It is a very bulky powder of roughly the same burn rate as H110, designed for low velocity rifle loads. Accurate 5744 is a current equivalent.

Boolit Master
    700X is one of those that comes in 14oz bottles and 4lb jugs. Bulky stuff.

I moved into the reloading game about 15 years ago. my friend gifted me with some powder to start. among it was Unique. I have to say it is a very flexible powder. but the darn stuff really doesn't like progressive machines all that much.

I moved my unique recipes to BE86 after it came to the shelves. While it's not an exact replacement - for me, BE86 covered MY uses 100% - and it goes thru a powder measure in a way unique can never hope to match.

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    I moved into the reloading game about 15 years ago. my friend gifted me with some powder to start. among it was Unique. I have to say it is a very flexible powder. but the darn stuff really doesn't like progressive machines all that much.

I moved my unique recipes to BE86 after it came to the shelves. While it's not an exact replacement - for me, BE86 covered MY uses 100% - and it goes thru a powder measure in a way unique can never hope to match.
    I tried some BE86 and liked it pretty well. It certainly does meter better than Unique.

I think the real benefit of Unique is that it has many time-proven recipes that you will never find in a loading manual.

If I ever win the Powerball, I'll buy myself some pressure testing equipment and find other ways to get to Skeeter loads and others like it.

Boolit Mold
    I used a lot of Unique before covid. When toilet paper became scarce, I stocked up on primers, remembering the last shortage. I didn't think powder would be an issue, so I didn't stock up on Unique. I've moved on, to Universal, HS-6, CFE-P and W231. As long as I have primers, I'm OK with different powders

Boolit Buddy
    Why move away when I have 10+ lbs sitting here?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Why move away when I have 10+ lbs sitting here?
    Hopefully by the time you're through that, availability and price will be reasonable again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Unique is one of my core powders. I use, or can use it, in many applications and stocked up on it. IMO it will not be displaced or obsoleted by Alliant. That does not mean it will easily available or cheap until things get back to "normal".

If it remains difficult and/or expensive to acquire, there are other powders that will get the job done.

I am in that situation with Varget. It has been tough to get over the last 5 years. I made the mistake of not stockpiling enough. I am down to 3 jugs and if it stays scarce and expensive, I will move to another powder.

My advice is to carry a 10 year supply of any component that is critical for your needs. Of course, now is not the time to implement that plan. But things are improving; so I watch the sales and will buy more components as opportunities arise. I think powder will get to the $225/jug range and primers to $225/5k sleeve. Those are my current "trigger" points where I will order more stuff.
    that will never happen......

Boolit Master

Early in my reloading career I switched to AA#5. It's cleaner and I got better accuracy. I load all my revolvers with it, 38 special, 357, 44mag, 45 colt. It's available too.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My advice is to carry a 10 year supply of any component that is critical for your needs. Of course, now is not the time to implement that plan. But things are improving; so I watch the sales and will buy more components as opportunities arise. I think powder will get to the $225/jug range and primers to $225/5k sleeve. Those are my current "trigger" points where I will order more stuff.
    that will never happen......
    The powder is almost there. W231 is $232.59 today at Natchez. Primers are nowhere near that $45/K price, but I've seen a few photos lately of people seeing some in-store prices down in the $70s.

Alliant powders are still at ridiculous prices, but I'm hoping that is because they are only just now starting to be available again.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I like Unique, I load a good bit of it and I have a good supply. That being said if I find something that works as good or better, is cleaner and cheaper, I’m not married to Unique, I actually have replaced it in some loadings. I like experimenting and trying different loads with different powders, thats part of the enjoyment I get from reloading , not only that but saving a little money here and there doesn’t hurt either.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    Alliant powders are still at ridiculous prices, but I'm hoping that is because they are only just now starting to be available again.
    I hope this post isn't true:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5594912

But have my doubts. I've seen the prices of a lot of items go way up. And not just reloading supplies.

45_Colt

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    I hope this post isn't true:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5594912

But have my doubts. I've seen the prices of a lot of items go way up. And not just reloading supplies.

45_Colt
    That's a pretty huge increase, but the current prices seem to indicate this may be true.

It is interesting that the MSRP for Unique is $50.49, while W244 is $35.49.

Maybe Hodgdon has better buyers, or just hasn't done the raise yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive stocked a few kegs of Unique as ive found nothing that does everything like it does. I dont care what it costs, a do everything powder is solid gold.
    Unique, Red Dot (Promo), 4064 and 3031. Tell me something i cant work up a load for
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Ive stocked a few kegs of Unique as ive found nothing that does everything like it does. I dont care what it costs, a do everything powder is solid gold.
    Unique, Red Dot (Promo), 4064 and 3031. Tell me something i cant work up a load for
    I could see Unique being the one powder I would pay too much for relative to other powders if that's what it takes. Until there's price and availability parity, I'm going to be judicious with using my stash of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Unique has way too much history/data for me to stop using it. If other powders had the data and versitility, it would be easy.
    Dirty? So? My boolits land in little groups where they're supposed to. Until it is discontinued/unavailable, I will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    If other powders had the data and versitility, it would be easy.
    Dirty? So? My boolits land in little groups where they're supposed to. Until it is discontinued/unavailable, I will use it.
    The available data is the biggie. Of course that means the decades and decades of experimental data that may be out of SAAMI bounds, but that the competent user safely can use to good advantage.

The only "moving away" from Unique I'm doing is using something else for loads that don't need to use Unique. It has, at least for now, moved away from being my default powder for everything to the one I use very specifically for certain things.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed TxTad. I'm too old to start changing things. 50 yrs of bullseye, herco and unique have me set in my ways.