Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition question

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition question

My third edition shows loads for .50-70 but only for new replica rifles made of modern steel.

Some of the lower end loads given look like they would be safe in a period Remington Rolling Block.

I'm wondering if the fourth edition lists smokeless loads in .50-70 caliber for the older rifles.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 06-21-2023 at 06:51 PM.

I just checked and it has the same warning in it for modern steel rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    I just checked and it has the same warning in it for modern steel rifles.
    Thank you, sir.

Boolit Master

I load 5744 in my Swedish 1867 rolling block. I took the load from Lyman cast bullet handbook. Cases showed no sign of dangerous pressure, obturation and primer.

I'm also going to use 5744 in my German 1871/84 Mauser, and Unique.

Dutch

Boolit Mold
    It seems to me that you are flirting with a possible FLASHOVER detonation? As the powder companies are not able, after very extensive experiments, not able to generate one on demand on test, and yet the next test can blow everything to Mars, I suggest great caution.

Boolit Master
    As a general rule, "flash over" ignitions are suspected to be caused by an incomplete powder ignition, followed almost instantly by a very rapid ignition of the entire powder charge. Both 5744 and Unique are double base powders that are easy to ignite. These would be some of the safest powders to use to avoid this problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I suspect these so called flash over or detonation kabooms using comparatively small charges in large cases are caused by a couple of things. #1 someone wasn't careful and double charged a case or #2 too light a charge stuck a bullet in the barrel and another was fired behind it. The amount of energy in a given charge of powder cannot by some miracle double or triple. To the best of my knowledge this so called phenomenon has never been recreated in a lab and they have tried a lot. Not in a 50-70 but I have loaded and fired many thousands of rounds of 45-70 loaded with Unique, 2400 and 5744. Stay with loads in the PSI level safe in your rifle and you will be fine.

Boolit Master
    I use 5744 in my 50-70. I used the 40% guide to determine a good load, 40% of the black powder weight. So, for the dash 70 cartridges, that is 28 grains. It is a good load. Could it be better? Possibly but good works for me.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.