MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Cast Handbook #3

Lyman Cast Handbook #3

Found it for free online along with some others and gotta say... It's , interesting how stuff has changed. Why more interesting read then most stuff now days.

Sent from my Astro 8R using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Yes it's the one I refer to the most. Some newer products and calibers not in it but for 90% of everything else it's tough to beat.

Boolit Master
    The 3rd edition has been online as a pdf for years. It's a good companion to the 4th edition. One of the things I like about the 3rd edition is the ballistic tables in the back. The 3rd edition doesn't list as many cartridges as the 4th, but the basic ones that were popular when it was published are there. The article from Frank Marshal about loading the Lyman 311284 bullet in 30-30 Winchester is a classic. Lots of good stuff in that book: some that's historically interesting, and other things that are still relevant today.

Boolit Master

I have had it on my desk top for years. Great resource. https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...-%20Reduce.pdf
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

it’s a good manual. i bought it last fall. so far i’ve used it for a red dot load for 30-30 and currently a Unique load for my 7.62x54R ( mosin nagant). it has a lot of the older pistol/shot gun powder rifle loads in it. i’ve got like 5 lbs of red dot and 2 lbs of unique to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    When the 4th edition came out, I was underwhelmed. The articles in the front were not half as educational as those in the third edition and many useful boolits were dropped. Sadly, the 3rd edition load data has been rendered somewhat obsolete as many of the powder choices are no longer available, but for many uses it is still valuable, way more so than the 2nd edition.

If I had my druthers, they would take the 3rd edition writing and then just add the 4th edition load info.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

When someone talked with me to get into casting and reloading . I recommend them the 3rd Ed . I thinking it give the most info on all the ones of the series .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I use mine all the time. A great supplemental resource to the 4th Edition.

Wow, Just dug out my copy of the third edition. Have not looked at it for years, The metal charts are worth the price! It also has reloading data for the 68 bb using 700-X!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

I like the 3rd Edition more than the 4th. Nothing really wrong with the 4th, but the 3rd seems to be more oriented to a newer caster where the 4th has a lot of Black Powder Cartridge bullet, loads etc. The 4th Edition Editor is a cowboy, black powder cartridge expert, Mike Venturino. I've read a lot of his articles about revolver loading and shooting...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman CBH #3 first and foremost cast bullet manual everyone should have, especially new casters and even old, experienced casters. The information up front give a casting primer for those who want to learn. The Lyman CBH #4 is simply a supplement with additional data to the CBH #3.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Anyone know where your could get #1 and #2 ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Good question! I want to know too!

Boolit Master
    "Anyone know where your could get #1 and #2 ? " BIGOX has #1 & #2 for sale in the swappin & selling section right now.

FYI: also available as a pdf download is the 48th edition Lyman Reloading Handbook.
    https://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...%20-%20ocr.pdf
    Last edited by 405grain; 06-22-2023 at 06:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have copies of all 4 editions and the 3rd is still the one I fo to first and it has its own place on the bench while the rest of my manuals are tucked away on a shelf.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Cornwall publishers sells reprints. IMO, #1 is useful and #2 is recycled with half the useable info of #1. Both are heavily vested in the idea of the times, that the only reason to use cast is to save money. Therefore you probably are only shooting light loads with pistol powders. The info that accompanies #1 is good, it is mostly duplicated in #2. I didn't think #2 was worth the $30 I paid for it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Cornwall publishers sells reprints. IMO, #1 is useful and #2 is recycled with half the useable info of #1. Both are heavily vested in the idea of the times, that the only reason to use cast is to save money. Therefore you probably are only shooting light loads with pistol powders. The info that accompanies #1 is good, it is mostly duplicated in #2. I didn't think #2 was worth the $30 I paid for it.
    I'll have some beer with the $$ I saved, thanks to you

Boolit Grand Master
    The technical info in 3 is excellent; however the load data overuses pistol/ shotgun powders in most cartridges leaving velocity and in most cases accuracy on the table. Very little use of 2400, the 4198’s, 4227, etc. to say nothing of the slower powders that can be reasonably used in cast bullet loadings.

In a lot of instances where the pistol and shotgun powders are used in the 3rd the charges listed give poor accuracy and should be reduced or another powder substituted to give better accuracy at the desired velocity. Often plainbase bullets are pushed too hard for good results in the data in terms of accuracy as well.

Boolit Master
    The way I see it, the pistol powder loadings in #3, and the rifle powder loads in #4 complement each other. For accuracy loads in rifles with cast bullets I will choose the quicker burning rate rifle powders like IMR-4198, BLC-2, H335, IMR-3130, Reloader #7, etc. But there are times where a faster pistol powder might work better for a specific application. These include suppressed loads (where you want the powder burn out to occur inside the barrel), and plinking and practice loads. When getting in lots of offhand shooting practice, pistol powder rifle loads keep ammo costs cheap, and recoil to a minimum. Instead of either/or, I think about the loads in these two books as "additional knowledge". That goes for the informational articles in the front of the books too.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman reloading manuals from the 1950's (37-39)have as much cast information as the #1 and #2 cast manuals. As was mentioned, the powder choices were limited back then.