Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.7x28 for jackets

Boolit Buddy
    The write up I seen stated the case was coated with a polymer coating.
    There are many different coatings/paints out there. But one that come to mind is acrylic
    floor finish, very durable, water based, ease of application, and the tip of the bullet can be coated.
    Just run the loaded rounds through a wash then let dry. Case is coated for extraction and the bullet tip
    has a coating the will help it slide between the fibers of a vest.

The guy's want that coating removed might want to try a floor finish remover located in the household products section.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally did another batch of 5.7 brass. This batch was a little different from the first.

This came out of the kiln with the coating (whatever it is) turned Black. Since I just got a lite tumbler, I want to try, I put them with ss pins and Dawn. Left it on for a hour and 1/2. It took the covering off, which was a surprise.
    It left little chunks of (looks like plastic) black particles.

The chunks plugged up the screen I use for draining, but the cases are clean and bright.

Boolit Master

wow.. as hard as it is to find and load 5.7 brings tears to my eyes seeing it used as jackets...

Seems something like 17hmr or 22wmr would be better.. the brass is scrap or useless except the few that reload rimfire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    wow.. as hard as it is to find and load 5.7 brings tears to my eyes seeing it used as jackets...

Seems something like 17hmr or 22wmr would be better.. the brass is scrap or useless except the few that reload rimfire.
    Sound Guy:

(1) Not many people reload the 5.7 as it has some peculiarities and foibles as I understand it.

(2) The 5.7 case is one of those that when annealed is fairly easily sized down to .307/.308 diameter; and then the swaging is fairly easy for a "Semi-Flat Based" swaged bullet.

(3) I seem to be one of the few who have had success in swaging 22WMR to .308 (150 Grain bullets; 85% + success rate per 22WMR case). https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ill&highlight=

(4) I have converted many 17 HMR cases to heavy .224 bullet jackets; but no success in trying to do so for a .308 bullet.

PS. if you or others want to trade 5/16 copper tubing for 5.7 cases - drop me a PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    The 5.7 I have is scrap at our gun club. No body reloads it here.
    I use the 22rf for 224. bullets and 22mag for heavy 22 caliber bullets. A few of us try and use any scrap from the club.

I have not tried, but Mustang is the only one I have heard of, being successful at making a 30 caliber out of 22mag cases.

My next project is 9mm cases for 30 cal.

Boolit Master

I reload 5.7x28 since I've been reloading it for a couple years I had exactly two cases damaged I find it no harder to reload than other cases that you have to take some care like 218 b e e or 4440 that have very thin mouths and a very slight neck. Looking at 22 magnum I'm surprised that fewer people have had success at turning them into 308.
    Back when 8mm namby cases didn't exist I got a kit to make them out of 30 rem. 30 rem is even more rare imho.. luckily 6.8 SPC cases are based on 30 REM so I was able to take 6.8 SPC cut them down and then turn them into 8 mm nambu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12