RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger .480 brass

Ruger .480 brass

A while ago I stumbled onto a Ruger super blackhawk in .480 and an almost complete reloader's system (dies, powder, ammo, and some brass) at a more than fair price and I liked shooting it immediately.

The fly in the ointment for a reloader is and likely will be brass availability. So I ultimately found that Starline does and likely will continue supplying .475 Linebaugh brass and I got 500 which in addition to the few hundred native .480 brass I already have may keep me shooting for a long time. I just may get another 500 pieces of .475 which should be enough to last a lifetime

To cut cases I bought a Harbor freight 2" mini cutoff saw ($35) and genned up a method for cutting cases fast and safely to within max/min case length specs. Each case took about 45 seconds including deburring the ID and OD of the cut case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harbor_freight_475_to_480_HF_cutting_jig.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	315159
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Does cut-off .475 Linebaugh have the same case capacity and wall thickness as .480 Ruger brass?

The subject came up in the current .480 thread in the Wheelguns section: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-on-the-market
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Does cut-off .475 Linebaugh have the same case capacity and wall thickness as .480 Ruger brass?

The subject came up in the current .480 thread in the Wheelguns section: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-on-the-market
    Well, back when I cut down my first few cases I was curious about it too so I made these measurements with a couple of each head stamp from cases I had on hand.

They were all fired (unknown # of firings) still primed (not deprimed) cases.
    They were NOT measured for the same case length in either test nor was brass weighed empty for the water weight / capacity test.

I think the spread is not significant, well not enough to be a biggie in a big bore revolver but in a bench rest rifle? Sure.

Weighing two cases at random (not the same cases as the water filled measured samples) empty fired cases not de-primed and not measured for identical length.

Starline .480 brass weighed 151.4 to 152.4 grains
    Federal .480 brass weighed 148.1 to 149.1 grains
    Hornady .475 brass trimmed to .480 length weighed 146.3 to 148 grains

I filled 2 of each brand case with water, dumped the water in the pan and measured on my digital scale.

Starline .480 brass water weighed 41.5 grains.
    Federal .480 brass water weighed 43 grains.
    Hornady .475 brass trimmed to .480 length water weighed 44 grains.

Even if I took a more scientific approach and trimmed all of the cases to the exact length, and made sure they had the same number of firings, were identical in weight empty, and used larger samples, IMO in real world pistol loading there's tolerance variability and stacking. Even though I came from a R&D environment professionally, I'm not interested in the level of granularity some others may.

Are these numbers significant? Not in my world but some who are more meticulous may feel I am cavalier about it, and truthfully I am

PS, if these were numbers I thought were meaningful I may have measured case wall thickness but I did not.
    Last edited by gnappi; 06-19-2023 at 03:42 PM.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Thanks! I'm now prepared if a bargain of a .480 Ruger should happen to cross my path.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Thanks! I'm now prepared if a bargain of a .480 Ruger should happen to cross my path.
    Of all the GR8 deals out there, the .480 probably has more motivated sellers than any other caliber!

I got my 5.5" SS Bisley Super Blackhawk with dies, ammo, brass, a couple of pounds of powder, and ammo boxes for a GR8 price from a motivated seller who wanted a Glock

Keep an ear to the ground and when you see one you want at a price that's palatable, get it because they don't last long.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    The 480 is a very capable but over looked cartridge!

I find I like my max loads about one grain below listed max. But I shoot more medium upper loads in HS6 just like I do in .44 mag.

The issue with max loads in the 480 is theorized that though the SS steel in the cylinder is certainly up to the task, it does in fact expand with the brass casing following it. Then as the pressure abates, the cylinder chamber shrinks to grab the now fired brass and you experience stickiness.

I figure brass that slides right out with a cartridge with 30% more horsepower than the 44 mag is far better than a wee bit more ponies and sticky brass.

My .02 worth

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I've made 480 Ruger shot shells from 45-70, if I remember correctly, turned down the rim diameter, thinned the rim, trimmed to cylinder length. Necked down with an unremembered die. Drilled the flash hole to stop locking the cylinder up from primer set back. Loaded and worked well. Shredded a pop can and a couple of potatoes. Think I used a gas check that was bought for a 470 N.E. for over shot wad. Made a cool looking load.

Made a batch of snake loads for a buddy.