Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Anybody try the 160 Grain FTX in the 303 Savage?

Boolit Mold

Anybody try the 160 Grain FTX in the 303 Savage?

Thanks, I just got a neat 99 Savage 20" carbine in 303 Savage. I have found Brass & Dies and want to load up 100 rounds, maybe wanting to pop a deer with it. Has anybody tried loading & feeding the Hornady 160 Grain FTX bullets in one? Thanks in advance.

I have a 99 H carbine in 303 Savage with a 20” bbl. it sounds about the same as yours. I have not used the 160 FTX bullet but it should be perfect for deer hunting in a 303.
    I built a homemade rear peep sight for mine because people selling used peeps that fit M 99’s want as much for the sight as I paid for the rifle.
    The only way I can use iron sights for hunting is when there is bright light available otherwise my eyesight is too poor to see the sights so far I have only shot targets with it. I recently sold the 3 other M 99’s and only kept the carbine as I liked it the best out of the ones I had.
    I have loaded several jacketed 30 cal. bullets , some pointed some round or flat nosed and some cast, they all feed well and all of them have shot as well as I can see , about 1” groups @ 50 yards.
    I hope to take a deer with mine someday also.

JedmanAttachment 315158
    Last edited by Jedman; 06-18-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    It is my understanding that the 303 Savage can easily be loaded with 150 to 170 grain bullets, putting it squarely in the same class as the 30-30. But as designed, the 303 with its long neck was meant to use 180 to 200 grain bullets which at open sight ranges are deadly to most any thin skinned game in North America.

If you want to use the 160 grain FTX bullets, just be sure that the OAL of the cartridge is equal or nearly equal to a factory 303 round. If I am not mistaken, the 160 grain FTX comes in two different configurations; one for the 30-30 and one for the 308 Marlin.

FTX is the flex tip right?

Not sure the added cost of the flex tip is any advantage. Rotary magazine should negate the need for the flex tips, opening up the use of any pointed or hollow point designs.

Just askin'.

But if you want to try the FTX's, there's no reason they wouldn't work well.