Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s up with all the used 480 Rugers on the market?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I remember those articles praising the .480 to the stars. One writer added that "anyone who can handle full power .44 Magnum can handle the .480 Ruger." Uhm dude, that's like .1% of the shooting population.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Been kinda wanting a 480 Ruger for a while...I'll have to keep an eye out.

Since there is minimal brass and ammo support for either, it can sit in the safe next to my 375 Ruger and they can keep each other company.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    So. if I understand correctly, what you 480 fan boys are saying is that all things, in regard to the gun being equal, make, model, barrel length, etc. the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG. In a word, nonsense. Of course if one subscribes to the 41 MAG crowd train of thought, which rescinds one of the laws of physics, then I fully understand how the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG.
    Last edited by roysha; 06-22-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    So. if I understand correctly, what you 480 fan boys are saying is that all things in regard to the gun being equal, make, model, barrel length, etc. the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG. In a word, nonsense. Of course if one subscribes to the 41 MAG crowd train of thought, which rescinds one of the laws of physics, then I fully understand how the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG.
    Hornady employs a ancient wizard who sits at the end of the 480 production line and casts incantations on the rounds as they leave the press. It's a special spell which grants the bullets masslessness while in the barrel, making the gun recoil less than a 22LR. Once the bullet is in free flight, however, it regains is mass and thus its awesome terminal performance.

I guess it's kinda like how kosher hotdogs are made.

However, I heard that, due to his age and unwillingness to get vaccinated, the Wizard has been working from home since the pandemic, thus slashing 480 production capacity.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Hornady employs a ancient wizard who sits at the end of the 480 production line and casts incantations on the rounds as they leave the press. It's a special spell which grants the bullets masslessness while in the barrel, making the gun recoil less than a 22LR. Once the bullet is in free flight, however, it regains is mass and thus its awesome terminal performance.

I guess it's kinda like how kosher hotdogs are made.

However, I heard that, due to his age and unwillingness to get vaccinated, the Wizard has been working from home since the pandemic, thus slashing 480 production capacity.
    Prior to the .480, he was casting his blessings on the numerous short mags of the 2000's. More velocity with less powder, less "felt" recoil, 10X case life, you know the drill...
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

So, is there any "easy" way to trim down 475LB brass for the 480, short of a jig of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jidd View Post
    So, is there any "easy" way to trim down 475LB brass for the 480, short of a jig of some sort?
    A jig is the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    So. if I understand correctly, what you 480 fan boys are saying is that all things, in regard to the gun being equal, make, model, barrel length, etc. the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG. In a word, nonsense. Of course if one subscribes to the 41 MAG crowd train of thought, which rescinds one of the laws of physics, then I fully understand how the 480 kicks less than a 44 MAG.
    The problem is, all things aren't equal. If we're looking at two guns producing the same muzzle energy (not my favorite metric, but it will suffice) I'd say the 480 will be more enjoyable to shoot.

This would equate to a 240 grain 44-caliber bullet launched at 1450fps, versus a 400 grain 475-caliber bullet running at 1120fps. The 44 may not recoil MORE, but it will have a higher recoil velocity, along with being louder (higher pressure) and producing more concussive effect from a shooters point of view (again, higher pressure).

But you are correct, that with full-house loads out of both cartridges... the 480 Ruger has it all over the 44 Magnum as far as general discomfort is concerned. Thank goodness we handload!

I honestly don't know what useful purpose a 480 would fill. There are no moose or bears apart from black bears anywhere around. I hear rumors of mountain lions but I seriously doubt I'll ever see one so there's no wild animal anywhere around to warrant such a caliber.

And just go ahead and shoot someone with a 480 and see how you get demonized to a jury.

Nope. I'm good.

I purchased mine because Elk were a possibility in my future and in the area I hunt Whitetail the terrain is such that I prefer a quick kill and minimal tracking. The 475/480 is a stopping round in that regard. Plus it can easily be loaded to pussycat levels and remains plenty potent.

Truth is, if we all chose cartridges based on what is actually needed to harvest the available game, most guys would have a hard time justifying a handgun more potent than the 44 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Daddy View Post
    I purchased mine because Elk were a possibility in my future and in the area I hunt Whitetail the terrain is such that I prefer a quick kill and minimal tracking. The 475/480 is a stopping round in that regard. Plus it can easily be loaded to pussycat levels and remains plenty potent.

Truth is, if we all chose cartridges based on what is actually needed to harvest the available game, most guys would have a hard time justifying a handgun more potent than the 44 Special.
    That's true. I own a 44Mag but download it with 10 grains of Unique and shoot cast. It's more than needed.

Boolit Buddy
    This is an interesting read as usual.

kerplode: Yes, a .480 Ruger and .375 Ruger both fit in my safe. They (at times) also keep me company at the range and in the field. I bought enough brass for each when available to keep me shooting during these dry times. They are good tools and enjoyable firearms for me. I will fill in my component holes as things become available.

Hannibal: There are moose and bears where I live. We have moose tracks in our yard as I type. I think it was the season before last that a sign was posted at the range I go to warning folks about a brown bear sow and cub that had been frequenting the range; they never bothered anyone.

For the most part we enjoy seeing the moose and haven't had many problems with them. We had one young bull that acted like he wanted to fight with our Tacoma PU. We left before he could get any more worked up. Our Son was up for a visit and we went on a canoe trail for fun. While we were crossing a swampy area a cow moose and her calf jumped up from the "grass". The cow took off, but the calf had an injured leg and didn't follow. Soon the cow came back and got between us and her calf. We were in a swampy area and no trees were nearby, just us and the canoe in the middle of the trail. She gave us a long look before she gathered up her calf and they slowly moved away. We didn't need to draw our guns, but it was comforting having the .480 Ruger available. We would have had the same outcome if we' been unarmed in this case. Better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Everyone can look up whatever ballistic information they want to about any cartridge and form their own conclusion if a certain gun suits their needs. I'm blessed to have several different loadings to choose from and can carry what I feel is best for me in a given circumstance. Sometimes it's nostalgia (when I carry my Dad's Ruger .357 backpacking gun) and sometimes it's raw power and big holes when I feel the risk of a dangerous encounter is higher.

Boolit Master
    When talking penetration with solid bullets, the Sectional Density of a 400 grain .475 bullet is .253 to equal that in other calibers:

.410.... 300 gr. .253

.429... 330 gr. .256

.452... 360 gr. .251

.501... 440 gr. .250

The .475 is just a Sweet Spot when it comes to penetration...

Bob

A jig is the easy way.
    Is there someone on the forum that would trim 475LB for a fee?

Maybe. I don't own a .480 Ruger, only a 475 Linebaugh. Well, two... OK, three, but only two are revolvers. No need to chop 475L brass in a 475L.

My only big trim job was cutting 45-70 down for the 475 Maximum. It was certainly a hassle, but completely worth it. The alternative was not shooting the gun. That doesn't compute in my world.

Still miss that gun...
    Last edited by Thor's Daddy; 03-13-2024 at 10:05 PM.

A jig is the easy way.
    Yup, here's mine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	475_to_480_HF_cutting_jig_r.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	324714
    Regards,

Gary

I posted a pic of my HF mini chop saw. It would be much less expensive to cut your own down and you still have the tool left when you're done.
    Regards,

Gary

Thanks. Fortunately I have some 480 coming now.

Boolit Bub
    I’m not sure what’s not to like about the 475L and 480? I have two Freedom Arms in 475L. I load them both with 400 grain bullets@1100 fps. I find them way more comfortable to shoot than full tilt loads in the 44 Mag and the 454.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    The 475 Linebaugh, before commercialization, was a shortened 45-70 straightened out.
    (BTW: The brass holds up fine to max loads, unlike some manuals will make you think.)

The Rim Diameter is a primary difference between cut off 45-70 and commercial 475 brass. The rim was reduced to fit the Freedom Arms guns. The loading gate is not of a size that would allow the rim to be that large. I also Think that the cylinder dia on a FA gun is smaller than a Linebaugh converted Ruger.

Tim Sundles (Buffalo Bore) had the first commercial 475 Linebaugh brass made. This was done in parallel w/ an agreement that had FA offering guns chambered in 475 Linebaugh. Would have been a bad business risk to invest the money required to get commercial brass w/ no commercial factory gun so chambered.
    This brass Also had thicker walls at the mouth at least -- Dies ARE different for 475 Linebaugh between those designed for converted 45-70 brass, and BBA / other commercial.

While I Think cutting down Commercial 475 Linebaugh brass would work for a 480 Ruger, I never tried. Could be there is an internal taper issue, maybe not.
    It Might be that cut down 45-70 brass would work for a Ruger gun in 480 Ruger, might Not, I am not sure -- again, Linebaugh modified the cylinder diameter. If this diameter change is what allowed the rims to be as big as a standard 45-70, then again there would be an issue in a stock Ruger even if the loading gate is big enough.

Why did Linebaugh modify the cylinder diameter? It wasn't just strength.
    Linebaugh started w/ the 500, and that was made on the 348 Winchester cut down.
    The rim here is same size as 45-70 (0.002 drawing diameter change, but pretty irrelevant), but more "normally" proportioned to what people see as on a rimmed revolver cartridge, and a gun could be made to work w/o unreasonable modifications.
    So, Linebaugh chose a gun and made mods to accommodate a rim ~0.610 on the 500. The 475 was a reaction to 348 brass getting scarce and endangering sales of 500 conversions.
    FA didn't do that (probably smart), and this is (at least one reason) why you don't see a 500 Linebaugh in FA guns, but you can get a 50 Wyoming express -- 0.500 bullet and belt instead of 0.512 bullet and rim: It fits the gun architecture and the Linebaugh 500 does not.
    Actually, Linebaugh, Casull, Gallagher, et. al., did use larger diameter cylinders purely for strength. Changing the diameter of the cylinder doesn't change the relationship between the axis of the bore and the axis of the cylinder. To put it plainly, you can't drill the chambers farther from the center of the cylinder just because you have a larger diameter cylinder and you want to fit your larger diameter round in the gun. If you did, the chambers wouldn't line up with the barrel. The rim on both the 500L and "old style" 475L (cut down 45-70) interferes with the ratchet on FA guns. In truth, you could cram a 500L in there, but you'd be building an inoperable gun. This was alleviated with smaller rim brass for the 475, but the 500L is just too wide (and there's not enough rim to cut it back further). As to the 500's, Jack Huntington suggested the "narrower" 500JRH to Freedom Arms and they demurred. FA then went on to create the 500WE, which is the ballistic twin to the 500JRH. Ironically, Freedom Arms didn't deadpan the 500L in the M83 because of brass availability (folks haven't been cutting down 348 Win. brass for a while now), but instead created a brand new proprietary round which has it's own issues with brass availability...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast