MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lead: Where are you getting it from?

Moderator Emeritus

We've been looking for a used car for my gf. Sold hers as payments were to much and still had four years to go. Was wandering around at one of the bigger places and started talking to guys in the bays. Asked about wheel weights. We just scrap them. Not anymore. Said they have about a full bucket every Friday so will see next Friday. They have my number. I really shouldn't be doing them with my back but old habits are hard to stop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    We've been looking for a used car for my gf. Sold hers as payments were to much and still had four years to go. Was wandering around at one of the bigger places and started talking to guys in the bays. Asked about wheel weights. We just scrap them. Not anymore. Said they have about a full bucket every Friday so will see next Friday. They have my number. I really shouldn't be doing them with my back but old habits are hard to stop
    I'd be there like an IRS auditor every Friday on that deal! All it takes is for the guy who told you that to leave or some manager telling them not to do it and that source will dry up in a second. I hope you get a ton or more before that happens!

Boolit Master
    Need me to come down and help? I have a dually pickup that can haul two tons with no problem at all. Of course there might be a small movers fee.

Lead: Where are you getting it from?

i did some digging at my conservation clubs shooting berm for the first time a couple days ago. i filled a half bucket in about 20 minutes. didn’t really have to dig most bullets were on the top layer of sand. I didn’t really need the lead but, i wanted to try this before the ground froze. half bucket and it’s almost to heavy to carry. figured there at least 80-90 lbs in the pail. i’m intrested to see how much lead i actually get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 09-30-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Get to know the scrapyard guys and the hospital maintenance guys. I got a ton and a half from them when they redid the radiology lab at the hospital.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Update: Never did get a call to come back yesterday. Figure he was told not to or he got a paying offer. Who knows. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    i did some digging at my conservation clubs shooting berm for the first time a couple days ago. i filled a half bucket in about 20 minutes. didn’t really have to dig most bullets were on the top layer of sand. I didn’t really need the lead but, i wanted to try this before the ground froze. half bucket and it’s almost to heavy to carry. figured there at least 80-90 lbs in the pail. i’m intrested to see how much lead i actually get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends on how much jacketed you pick up. When I berm mine the only jacketed I keep are 45s. So if you pick up mostly lead & 45s, you can expect about 90% return when melted.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I got about 25 lbs from the berm. Lots of 45 cast boolits from the pistol area,, Quite a few slugs and some cast rifle boolits from the rifle area. Not many jacketed , I love finding those 500 gr 45 cal chunks.

I figure that my membership dues are reimbursed by my scrounging up lead about every time I go to shoot.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 10-05-2023 at 07:54 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by RangerUpCoffee View Post
    Tracking the typical places online like Roto Metals etc. but has anyone found a good scrap lead resource that is generally universal to location? My #1 resource is independent metal scrapers by offering them $0.10 above spot price.
    Welcome brother, glad to have you here. This is my go to place for lead as well. I bought 40 lbs of linotype and mix it with my pure lead to get where I need to be, which is around 14 brinnell(my best guess). Scrap yards that will sell scrap lead are usually the cheapest place to buy lead but I found a whole 5 gal bucket full of what appears to be lino in Lyman ingots. Pretty sure it came from an old caster hence the molds with the backwards letter. The lady that runs the yard checks the spot price and then puts a small amount on top of that. I don't think I have ever pads over 40 cents.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Went to the scrapyard this morning. Took in 40 pounds of aluminum cans and 9 pounds of phone wire. Got $18 for the cans and $22.05 for the wire. Had bought the wire from them for $55. After extracting the wire from the lead sheathing I had probably about 45 pounds of soft lead left. Haven't weighed it yet.

They had a barrel near the scales that had wheel weights on top, some very large. I asked for their current prices, $1/lb for "dirty" lead and $1.25/lb for "soft" lead.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Went back this morning and picked out 48 pounds, set aside lots of zinc and iron weights. Got 1 6oz, several 3 to 5 ounce weights. Did not get anything smaller than 1oz except for stick ons. They only charged me $45.

There was also a barrel of range scrap that was about 2/3 full, but I stayed away from it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

52 lbs nicely cleaned and smelted del for $76 from Kathie the Captain
    thank you.

29 pounds of wheel weights at a yard sale, of that only a half dozen steel or Zn. All this for $2.

Boolit Mold
    Since I cannot find the vendor/sponsor category, how can I find Katie the captain to buy lead?

Boolit Master

Tom Catman -

She is found in the Vendor Sponsor Section of this site.

Open this link and go through her pages:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...27-The-Captain
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    I thank you..I don't why my foum listing don't have the vendor sponsors or buy/sell anymore.

Banned

I ask all of my friends to be on the lookout for lead, wheel weights, solder, and any old lead fishing gear. I was just gifted two, 5 pound plumbers ingots from a friend who came across it in his garage. It adds up! Keep your feelers out there.

Boolit Mold
    My mistake.you have to be logged in to see that .

Kathie ships a few Lbs over and will box it in a double box about guaranteed to get to you though in my case the post office puts a note saying come on down we have a heavy box for me LOL, dont blame them tho.

Boolit Master
    Just looking through Facebook Marketplace the other day and came across an ad for lead. roughly 64 lbs. for 100.00. Eh, No real interest but I decided to look at the pics. Messaged him a few seconds later and asked when I could pick it up. I have no idea what is happening with the orientation of the pictures? They are fine when I copy them. They are also in order, I hope you get the idea of what I got though. That is a real lino pig. 23.08 lbs. and 23 BHN as tested with a LBT tester. Three 50/50 solder bars, 7 plus lbs. of shot and 16 lbs. of wheel weights which look to be about 95% lead. With some pewter bits tossed in. That is a total of 50 lb.s give or take a half pound for an amount of $2.00 a lb. Considering what it is that seems to me a pretty good deal. The main problem for me is I am overloaded with hard lead!!! I need soft!!! But the lead bug bit and I could not turn this one down. I just missed two full bags of 7 1/2 shot. This is supposed to be #6 shot but it looks pretty small. What is the diameter of #6?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	320891

Name:	IMG_1136.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	320892

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg