Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLA drying in bottle

Boolit Master

LLA drying in bottle

I haven't used LLA in some years now and I just found a bottle that is drying out somewhat. I used something thinner in LLA many years ago to keep it thin enough to use but for the life of me I cannot remember what solvent it was. Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance, james

I use standard mineral spirits, not the green stuff. And add a pistol boolit as a shaker.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I think you are right on the mineral spirits as I have a piece bottle of it. Makes sense that it is why I might have bought it. Thanks for stirring the old grey matter Minerat. james

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

also try warming up the bottle in hot water to re-melt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I use standard mineral spirits, not the green stuff. And add a pistol boolit as a shaker.
    That putting a boolet in it is a great idea. Being in San Antonio the heat really dries out 45-45-10 quickly.

Thanks
    ACC

When I coat my boolets it only takes a half hour to dry.

ACC

I dilute mine with white spirits or Stoddard solvent.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

I put some mineral spirits in the bottle and shook it for awhile. It has really loosened it back into a liquid again and I think I will give it a try on some boolits this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions. james

I'd have to run mine through a ball mill. Or maybe, but a bottle of it with mineral spirits and bullets and through it in my rotary tumbler with warm water for a while. Hmmmm.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 06-16-2023 at 01:08 AM.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Back before I started using JPW/LLA I would occasionally lube a batch by throwing a splash of mineral spirits into my Cool Whip bowl and melting the dried deposits off the sides.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

My gun likes a thin coat of LLA if it’s liquid enough. Or a little paint thinner if it’s not. (mineral spirits). Gotta try that scentless.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all -- 'specially James for starting inquiry! As I type I have a bottle IN the reloading room trash bucket -- wonderful timing -- as first thing downstairs will be to take it out and add one bullet and some mineral spirits! I appreciate the info/post -- again, sooooo much to be always learned on this forum!
    geo

Boolit Master

George I had a pretty smug feeling that I was well versed on reloading and boolit casting until I was pointed to this forum back in 06. Since then, I have and continue to learn from the very knowledgeable people on this site. It was a great day when a person on another site challenged a statement I had made and told me to go to this forum and I would understand that I was wrong. I have beening learning since then and will continue to learn until I pass off this mortal coil. james

I got the boolit idea when I had a spray can of Hornaday case lube lose pressure. I opened the can and put the liquid into a pump spray bottle and a little glass marble followed. I was fighting with BLL getting thick and being hard to get mixed when it occurred to me I need something like the glass bead to help mix it up. There was a 90 gr 380 boolit on the bench so I threw it in the bottle. Not rocket science just dumb luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    Like George, I appreciate this site more and more. I knew my self-taught fumblings had room for real information and this is the place for great ideas. I'm going to pop a boolit in my LLA mix today! Thanks all.

Boolit Grand Master
    When the mix gets thick, it is an indication that air is entering around the lid. When I changed over to an air tight lid, that kind of thing stopped for me. The Lee plastic bottles that their alox is sold in is a very poor container design.

Ben

Yup, I got a cheap condiment bottle that leaks air bad. I finally put a piece of plastic wrap under the spout to seal it and that helped.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Yup, I got a cheap condiment bottle that leaks air bad. I finally put a piece of plastic wrap under the spout to seal it and that helped.
    For what it's worth, this site's expletive blocker would have a workout and then some re my feelings towards the present state of Essence (aka, Petrol, Gasoline) which is pumped! Not such a biggee in equipment with a CLOSED fuel system such as automobiles -- but havoc too often follows in OPEN fueled systems: Lawnmowers, generators, garden tractors, chainsaws, etc., etc., et cetera. What I have learned to do, a very minor pain in the bottom -- but it works -- is to place a cut piece from a Zip Lock freezer bag over the fill spout, and then replace the cap. I know it works, as if I forget to remove the cap/plastic before starting, after a few minutes the engine dies due to the vacuum in fuel tank created. (Sta-bil plus this -- makes me almost happy -- albeit I try to purchase only Ethanol-free premium fuel, but so many other folks "just as smart" -- the station purveying it often is out ).
    From this bit of luck "trick" with outdoor equipment, I do this with almost any/all solvents -- 'specially including those in the reloading room. For those with a tube going down, I just simply rubber band it to the container, and use just a Zip-loc bag segment and a few twists of a #64 rubber band. This does work for me!
    geo

Boolit Master

In reference to Ben's Liquid Lube (https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...iquid-lube.16/) some Johnson's One Step Liquid floor wax will not only thin but add some secret waxes to the mix. But only if you still have some of the now discontinued old formula Johnsons One-Step Liquid Wax in the metal can with blue lid. I've seen crazies selling the stuff on evilbay for truly evil prices.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast