WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to mount a scope on an O3A3 without drilling the receiver?

Boolit Master

Is there any way to mount a scope on an O3A3 without drilling the receiver?

I have an original Remington O3A3 that I have shot since I was 14. I won several competitions with that gun in the 60's and it is still quite accurate today. Unfortunately my 70 year old eyes are not as accurate as they were back then. I would like to mount a scope on it but I flat out will NOT drill the receiver for the scope mount. Are there any other options?

Boolit Master
    At one time several no drill mounts were available and S&K still shows their mount. Rear of the mount used the dovetail where the ear sight sits and a clamp system of some kind on the front receiver ring. Not sure is the front clamp requires removal of the upper handguard as the clamp seems to go where the handguard retaining band went.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have an original Remington O3A3 that I have shot since I was 14. I won several competitions with that gun in the 60's and it is still quite accurate today. Unfortunately my 70 year old eyes are not as accurate as they were back then. I would like to mount a scope on it but I flat out will NOT drill the receiver for the scope mount. Are there any other options?
    a related article follows. if google translate doesn't help you, I'll help you via PM, just in case.
    the gitzmo isn't exactly cheap, nor is it aesthetically pleasing, but if it works, it works.
    in every case it can be an inspiration.
    I've never tried it because I prefer to use a wire google that holds a shooting diopter

https://www.portalearmi.it/campaneru...-non-invasivi/
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    a related article follows. if google translate doesn't help you, I'll help you via PM, just in case.
    the gitzmo isn't exactly cheap, nor is it aesthetically pleasing, but if it works, it works.
    in every case it can be an inspiration.
    I've never tried it because I prefer to use a wire google that holds a shooting diopter

https://www.portalearmi.it/campaneru...-non-invasivi/
    What a conglomeration that is. I tried to put a diopter on a 1903 Springfield, but the large diameter of it wouldn't clear bolt shroud alone the safety. There is no good way but to T&D it and the 03A3 is easier then 03.

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    What a conglomeration that is. I tried to put a diopter on a 1903 Springfield, but the large diameter of it wouldn't clear bolt shroud alone the safety. There is no good way but to T&D it and the 03A3 is easier then 03.
    I agree. after some unsatisfyng results with a b-square mount on k98s, when needed I wear my wire googles w. diopter near my eye. just in case, here another option:
    Attachment 315022
    for some unknown fault, the pages above are not in order. please see their attachment numbers to read correctly.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-13-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    Rob

[QUOTE=Rickf1985;5587983]
    I don't think it helps to solve your specific assembly problems, but this has been and remains my (65 at today, eyes k.o. thank to neon light when drawing all night long and arc welding) solution with mil. and non-military rifles that I didn't want or couldn't modify due to sporting regulations.
    the eyewear with adjustable iris (aka shutter), with or without corrective lens, works for me like and better than some scope, if one gets used to it and doesn't have to engage moving targets.
    I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

https://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen....obloch-germany
    Rob

Boolit Master
    well, you won't like this; but the best thing to do is drill and tap. there is nothing special about a 03-A3. there are probably a million of them out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    well, you won't like this; but the best thing to do is drill and tap. there is nothing special about a 03-A3. there are probably a million of them out there.
    I concur with porthos.

Boolit Master
    There are many optical solutions you can whare, ( shooting glasses, corrective Lense ) on your face instead of drilling and tapping, if they don't work for you, you can find a competent gun smith to drill and tap along with mounting a scope ?

Just buy a $390 Savage or Mossberg, and leave the Springfield as-is

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    The SK mount is as stated but not as high over the bore as the other shown in the link provided. It will work with removal of the handguard and ring. That's what was designed to do.

The link tells what it does and/or may need: https://www.thecountryshed.com/SK-19...ings_p_29.html

If you find the scope is high that's it's tough to get a cheekweld you can do a temporary fix with pipe insulation and vet wrap. The wrap doesn't stick to the stock, only itself. I've used it to build up a stock many times. You can get some strap on cheekpieces that need no mods to the wood also.

Depending on the scope used you may have to alter the bolt for clearance, or get another to modify.

Boolit Master
    Unless it's a range only rifle may need a scope safety as well. Right now a decent Remington A3 will start at about $700 and depending on condition can go for a lot more than that, especially if it is an original all Remington parts rifle. The basic rule is take off $50-100 for every hole you drill in it. One mod I have heard of is to buy a replacement rear aperture slide and drill it out larger to let in more light and there was a different front blade that was thicker than the original and easier to see. Both of these options allow returning the rifle to as-issued condition and thus retain its value. I have a CMP A3 and am considering this change as I'm also in the "old eyes" age group.

Boolit Mold
    hai visto sul sito http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html ?
    Io sul mio k-31 ho comprato gli attacchi S&K MOUNT: http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Boolit Master
    why be so concerned about $. he wants to see well to shot it. sooner or later someone down the road is going to sell it. so what if they get less$!!!

Boolit Master
    I can see why he is going this way. I also have a couple of guns I'd love to shoot but the sights are a problem. I won't drill and tap just because I'd be ruining a piece of history. One was my history, the other is a museum quality piece.

OTOH my father-in-law had his garand barrel drilled and tapped for a pistol scope (LER). Worked very well for him and it wasn't a collector item, nor did it have a lot of sentimental value.

Could something like this be modified for the 03?
    https://ultimak.com/product/m12/

Boolit Master
    I have shot this gun since I was 14 years old in competition. I won several matches at Camp Perry in the late 60s. Then I got drafted and I didn't get back into shooting for many years. The gun is in perfect condition and I have no intention of defiling it. As far as someone else down the road selling it, well, that will be my wife when I am gone and I want he r to get the best money she can get because when I go she loses my pension so she will need the money. I really think that is a piss poor way of looking at antique rifles anyway. I am assuming you have no original condition antique military rifles. Since there is no way to scope it without drilling it then I will simply not worry about it. I am disabled and therefore I do not hunt anymore, I only go to the range. I have always been a long range shooter and I have always enjoyed the challenge of shooting open sights. To me that shows the true ability of the shooter. I will simply move over to my Garands with the NM sights. I have no problem punching out the center of the target at 300 with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I have shot this gun since I was 14 years old in competition. I won several matches at Camp Perry in the late 60s. Then I got drafted and I didn't get back into shooting for many years. The gun is in perfect condition and I have no intention of defiling it. As far as someone else down the road selling it, well, that will be my wife when I am gone and I want he r to get the best money she can get because when I go she loses my pension so she will need the money. I really think that is a piss poor way of looking at antique rifles anyway. I am assuming you have no original condition antique military rifles. Since there is no way to scope it without drilling it then I will simply not worry about it. I am disabled and therefore I do not hunt anymore, I only go to the range. I have always been a long range shooter and I have always enjoyed the challenge of shooting open sights. To me that shows the true ability of the shooter. I will simply move over to my Garands with the NM sights. I have no problem punching out the center of the target at 300 with them.
    please, Rickf1985,
    try first Knobloch or Champion shooting eyewear: this stuff is used in 300mt. prone/sling olympic games, etc.
    (btw, today for me is the only way to enjoy my Mausers)
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-14-2023 at 09:06 PM. Reason: today
    Rob

Back when SKS rifles were $88, my brother in law traded his Dads Springfield 03 for one

OUCH

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Just buy a $390 Savage or Mossberg, and leave the Springfield as-is
    I have seriously thought about that but my safe is full and I am not getting rid of anything right now. I could get rid one or two 22's but they are still the cheapest way to have fun and the Mossberg bolt actions I have are very accurate even at 200 yards.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    please, Rickf1985,
    try first Knobloch or Champion shooting eyewear: this stuff is used in 300mt. prone/sling olympic games, etc.
    (btw, today for me is the only way to enjoy my Mausers)
    PM Sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast