Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: .439 Straight Side PP Mold for Muzzleloader

Boolit Mold

.439 Straight Side PP Mold for Muzzleloader

I was going to post a WTB in S&S but not enough posts 🤣 Looking to get away from my hammer swaged boolits and move to casting, anyone know of a "production" mold for a straight sided .439 in the 400gr range? The Lyman .439 for a 43 Spanish may be an option for me to have the grease rings milled away to produce a straight sided casting, and apparently NEI used to make a mid-400 grain straight sided .439 mold but I can't even find a picture of that. I'm just a hobbyist so custom molds not very attractive, i have some.444s on order from BACO to run through a sizing die right now to see if thats a viable option too. Thanks

Steve Brooks @Brooksmoulds.com will make you anything you want. https://brooksmoulds.com/
    I see you’re not up to a custom mould , buy once and save yourself the frustration .
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 06-12-2023 at 05:10 PM.

http://https://www.accuratemolds.com...bullet=44-445P

I think he can cut the diameter bigger or smaller.

The mods can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can post a wanted to buy you can't post a wanted to sell.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I’m not selling any mould, just offering a suggestion for a mould maker. I’ve ordered a couple of moulds from accurate and they are usually delivered well before the quoted delivery time.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Costs and delivery times were my main concern on a custom mould but at $33 per 50 boolits plus high shipping too from BACO I can probably recoup the mould cost pretty dang quick even as a hobbyist shooter with this particular rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    The mods can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can post a wanted to buy you can't post a wanted to sell.
    I thought that too but could never get the Thread Starter to work. No worries

Well, as a possible path forward, you mite take an old Lyman mold of smaller diameter that you don't have other uses for, smite the pins into perfect alignment and have a machinist turn the cavity into your preferred smooth sided design.

Alternately, if it could be long enough for your rifling twist and purposes, perhaps consider starting out with a Lyman adjustable length 38 core mold and making it a nose pour having two plugs; one hollow base and the other plain base. That could give you a round flat point with a flat as small as less than 5/16" and a usable boolit length up to just barely over an inch.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Best bet is to take a look thru BACOs offerings if you don’t see on there,then get a hold of Brooks and have him build one or see what Accurate has in his extensive line.
    But be sure you have a good measurement on the bore diameter (not the groove) before you launch into it.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Only down side to Accurate is the mould will be a FN design with BACO or Brooks can do any you might desire.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    True enough Randy but you can get Tom to go down to about a .18 meplat
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

You couls also make or have made a copy of the old IDeal Adjustable Cylindrical Mould:

I've been making these for many years though I use 1 1/2" round bar for mine. They work great for PP bullets, shotguns slugs and undersize bullets to be knurled up to final diameter.

They are easy to make if you have a lathe and offer adjustable weight plus a simple change of the nose form allows several different nose shapes so very versatile moulds. I have added a 3/4" round bar weight on the ejector rod to assist in ejecting the bullet and reseating the nose form after bullet ejection. Works great.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I had Tom at Accurate make a 3 cavity mold for paper patching with 3 different grain weights of boolits in the same block. It turned out really well. I've never had any disappointments from Accurate Mold. Shipping time was very fast.