RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my dad's Colt Woodsman! Needs rescued.

Boolit Master

Found my dad's Colt Woodsman! Needs rescued.

I was back out at my dad's place trying to salvage more gear from the fire...

Attachment 314997

I finally stumbled across his Colt Woodsman that I had been looking for ever since the fire. He had put it on a bookshelf in a leather flap holster.

It has some significant damage, but can be restored.

Attachment 314998

Attachment 314999

This was what it looked like before the fire...

Attachment 315000

Attachment 315001

So, after I took the photos, I doused it in WD-40 and wiped it off, checked the bore, and loaded the magazine. Shoots and functions flawlessly.

Now I need to figure out who to have restore it. Should be a relatively easy job. No gunsmiths near me, so will have to send it somewhere. Does Colt do factory re-furbishing?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are wonderful guns and worth restoring.

Good luck!!
    Don Verna

When I think of .22 auto pistols, that’s what comes to mind because I grew up shooting a Huntsman- the Woodsman’s fixed sight version.
    It depends on if the rust caused any pitting-whether it will be simple or not to refinish.
    Another John Browning effort- perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I would never erase the story that shows on that heirloom. I’d kill the rust and shoot it.

Your choice of course, but think on it a bit.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Someone smarter than me once said having a firearm refinished is paying to make it worth less. But its your pistol and you should refinish it as often as you want.

Glad ya found it.

I'd send it out to be hot blued by someone who is set up for and has done a bunch of them.
    If you do it yourself, read up on the process and try Brownell's Oxoblue cold bluing process.
    I've had good luck with it by doing several applications on a warm barrel. (get the big bottle)
    If one application does good---- 10 will do better by letting it soak in a wet towel a few hours each time.
    Hot blue is the real deal, but the Oxo ain't bad.

As far as value: if you don't plan to sell it--- its resale value doesn't really matter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

i have my grandmothers colt woodsman, it was her travel gun, she kept it strapped to the steering wheel.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Dad had the six inch version of that model, it is the gun that taught me to shoot a pistol accurately. Later I had a Second Model, also a six inch. Wish I had either of them back.

No other .22 Auto feels right in my hands.

Robert

Hemmingway sure liked his.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Clean it up best you can to stop the damage, carry and shoot it for a while, restoring it will not make it shoot any better. You can have it done at any time or decide you like as it is.
    Last edited by beemer; 06-13-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had my Woodsman Match done here https://powersmetalworks.com/ after flood damage.
    Don’t care about resale value just wanted it to look good. John is a master craftsmen.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a set of grips on evil bay right now that look pretty good. You might want to check them out, but be prepared to spend money.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Are those real wood or Coltwood grip panels? They may be able to be cleaned up with a little bit of elbow grease and the finish of your choice.

I don't know how handy you are, but if it were mine I think I would give rust bluing a try on it. That or spend more than it is worth getting it redone professionally.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    I had my Woodsman Match done here https://powersmetalworks.com/ after flood damage.
    Don’t care about resale value just wanted it to look good. John is a master craftsmen.
    Excellent! He even has a Woodsman as an example of a restoration. Sent him an email.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Hemmingway sure liked his.
    My dad worshipped Hemingway. Spent a lot of time in the Keys fly-fishing for bonefish and Tarpon.

0000 steel wool and some hoppe's will clean it up pretty nice, thought the rusted bluing will end up bright. Clean it, shoot it, and smile!

Can’t beat a good Colt Woodsman, restored or not. This was my last parts gun build. Not done with it yet. The grips are Pointer Pup ‘stags’.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9870.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	315059

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My dad worshipped Hemingway. Spent a lot of time in the Keys fly-fishing for bonefish and Tarpon.
    The Woodsman was in the Nick Adams stories and Across the River and into the trees. He also wrote in one of his magazine articles about accidentally shooting himself in the leg with it while getting ready to shoot a shark on his boat. The gaff slipped and hit his hand.

In one of his biographies the author mentioned that Pappa shot silver dollars that Masi tribesmen held in their fingers. He also said that with his woodsman he could shoot Joe Lewis dead in a boxing ring before Joe could get from his corner to Pappas. Yup he loved that gun.

In my youth I pretty much idolized Hemmingway. At this stage of my life I see him as a deeply troubled and flawed individual who had enormous talent and powers of observation. I still love his work and would absolutely take an opportunity to hang out with him.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately the whole Hemmingway family struggled with genetic depression - and apparently none of them were successful with medication for it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 1990s, I had a Woodsman Target, the bluing had blotchy spots. I had a local gunsmith re-blue it, he was well known for attention to detail. It was spendy, he said he spent a bunch of time polishing the parts that needed polishing and bead blasting the top for the correct matt finish. When I got the gun back, it was so purty, that I rarely shot it...I kind wish I kept it as it was (rough looking), cuz it was more fun to shoot not having to worry about putting dings in it when cleaning, or whatever.
    That's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast