RepackboxWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Driving Band?

Front Driving Band?

On a bullet like this Ranch Dog, is the forward section between the crimp groove and the start of the ogive considered the "front driving band"?

Or is the front driving band only called that on a bullet like a Keith bullet that has a distinct front band?

Boolit Grand Master
    I consider the first band that gets engraved by the rifling to be the front driving band.

Obviously on some designs it is smaller than others.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I agree that the first portion that is engraved is the "driving" band. I shoot a lot of Verals LFN and WFN designs and they have a large driving band.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    On a bullet like this Ranch Dog, is the forward section between the crimp groove and the start of the ogive considered the "front driving band"?

Or is the front driving band only called that on a bullet like a Keith bullet that has a distinct front band?

I consider it to be the front drive band on such bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

It is important to consider the firearm for which the bullet was designed. The Ranch Dog bullets are designed for Marlin leverguns which are famous for very little if any throat in front of the chamber. The Keith bullets are designed for revolvers which have long throats in the charge holes.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

it's the band forward of the crimp groove, in your second photo

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    The term "front driving band" is meaningless in a bullet and application where it performs no particular function. Your first picture the "band" in front of the first lube groove seems to not be prominent nor have any features to make it significant. That first bullet, I don't know the application, but I might not fill all the grooves with lube, and I might not crimp in the first groove. It will depend on the throat of the firearm I use it in.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

The purpose is, I want to make sure I have the correct terminology for all the bullet parts for my bullet cataloging webapp.

Thanks for all the responces.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    The term "front driving band" is meaningless in a bullet and application where it performs no particular function. Your first picture the "band" in front of the first lube groove seems to not be prominent nor have any features to make it significant. That first bullet, I don't know the application, but I might not fill all the grooves with lube, and I might not crimp in the first groove. It will depend on the throat of the firearm I use it in.
    Tim
    The first boolit, the band ahead of the crimp groove has contacted the size die, so it is gonna engrave the rifling, so it "serves a purpose" surely?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    The first boolit, the band ahead of the crimp groove has contacted the size die, so it is gonna engrave the rifling, so it "serves a purpose" surely?
    The ogive will contact the rifling before the band because the nose extends to full diameter. If you loaded that bullet to jam, I am sure there would be contact marks on the bullet forward of the "not a band, band."
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Look at the photo. There is a sized "BAND" In front of the crimp groove. It is a circular sized area, surface, portion in of the crimp groove therefore a band of sized area.
    I think it is simple.
    Am I wrong?
    BTW, it could be called a sized portion of the nose of the bullet, or just the nose of the bullet, or the portion in front of the crimp groove.
    But the sized portion caused a band or circular area in front of the crimp groove.
    So to me it is a band of sized area in front of the crimp groove.
    Am I wrong????
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 06-13-2023 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    It is important to consider the firearm for which the bullet was designed. The Ranch Dog bullets are designed for Marlin leverguns which are famous for very little if any throat in front of the chamber. The Keith bullets are designed for revolvers which have long throats in the charge holes.
    So based on this, this NOE boolit is a better choice for the Marlin that a "bore rider"?Attachment 315013[ATTACH
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    So based on this, this NOE boolit is a better choice for the Marlin that a "bore rider"?Attachment 315013[ATTACH
    apart from anything else the ranch dog shown is a nice looking boolit, the Keith is butt ugly - enough reason for me to make a choice so long as the choice shot ok. (which I bet it would most times)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Have we taken in the OAL. Confinements as set forth by the Marlin design?
    Or have we not?
    When I had Marlins I shot 550 grain in them.

FWIW: I've always heard/used the term "Driving Band" associated with the Rear band -- that experiences the driving pressure
    and the Front band (if any/as in Keith SWC) as the "Cleaning Band" -- hold-over from BP cartridge shooting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    FWIW: I've always heard/used the term "Driving Band" associated with the Rear band -- that experiences the driving pressure
    and the Front band (if any/as in Keith SWC) as the "Cleaning Band" -- hold-over from BP cartridge shooting
    I'm glad I just used the term "band".

Boolit Grand Master

Historically, as used in many writings, it is the front band that is the "drive" band.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Looking at the nomenclature again -- especially as it plays against artillery /mortar/and cast-grooved projectiles, it would appear
    that all the parallel shank bands are considered the "driving" bands which engage the rifling under pressure.

That I could understand. But calling the front band "the" driving band doesn't pass the makes-sense test.

Am I missing something here?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you are misconstruing me intended meaning of "the" incorrectly when it is used in "the front drive band". The "the" used only differentiates it as the drive band which is in front of the other drive bands. All of the bands are drive bands. "Drive" is only an adjective, not an adverb, in its use as referring to that band. The term "front" isn't giving that band some distinction to "drive" anything. "The" as used, is not an adverb. Some may give speculation on what the intended purpose of a specific front drive band design may be, but it is still "the front drive band" simply because it is front of the other drive bands because all those bands that fall behind it, including the base drive band are all drive bands).
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-15-2023 at 09:34 AM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Could the front band be called a helper band?
    Could the front band be called a steering band as it steers the following band, bands into the barrel?
    Could the front band be called a band with no description other than a band?
    Could the front band be called one band of two or more?
    Could the front band be called the leading band followed by the following band or bands?
    Could the front band be called a part of the bullet?
    What are some more possibilities of the name of that raised circular area of that thing on a bullet
    Let see some of them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast