Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Check Seater

Boolit Grand Master

While I agree that could probably have been designed ,better the point is that design is sufficient for the intended use.

What you're implying is tantamount to implying the Colt SAA is a poor design because it won't handle the full potential of the 45 Colt cartridge as in Ruger level loads. What I, and others are implying is using anything beyond the limits of what it was actually designed to do, whether we think it a good design or not, and it fails is not the fault of the design.

If you want it to do more difficult tasks with your 450 then, perhaps, making a better designed modification may be the solution? That's what I would do were I so inclined. Since my 450s were doing what Lyman made them to do I went the simpler route for more difficult bullet sizing and obtained push through sizers to use in my reloading press which is designed and made to handle the job.

But back to the OPs question on the Lyman GC seater, I find it to work very well seating GCs on bullets that require GC seating. On many cast bullets the GC fits onto the base of the shank squarely and bottoms out. Thus, those bullets can be sized, GC'd and lubed in one pass through the 450. Those GCs that do not fit the shank and/or bottom out I use the GC seater to seat the GC before sizing and lubing.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-19-2023 at 03:33 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I've been using mine to seat gas checks for many years without any problems. I recently checked a batch of pc'd 115 gr .30s for my carbines. How many you might ask? 650 in this batch. I use it for my .30-06s. .300 blks, 8mm mausers, 7.7 Japs, 7.62 Mosins, etc and batches average 500 rounds at a time. I also use it to check my 9mms and .357s. And I PC all of them before checking. Like I said, never any problems....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12