WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

Boolit Master

What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

Dad was an avid shooter and did a good bit of hunting.

When I was a kid I remember there were 3 instances of old guys on their way out gifting their pet hunting guns to Dad. In 2 of the instances the guys had grown sons, but still wanted Dad to have their good gun.

I remember one old Cowboy said “I’ve seen how you are. I’d appreciate it if you’d let this one run with your herd. I know you’ll look after it”.

The stories were all the same. No one in the old guy’s family cared about hunting or shooting and the old guy didn’t want to die knowing his pet gun was going to waste. So they gave them to Dad.

In Dad’s old guy days I noticed that if I asked about a certain piece on the phone or mentioned seeing one like it, the next time he came to my house to visit and shoot he’d have that piece with him. In the evening after shooting we’d be in my shop and he’d be telling me stories while I cleaned our guns. When he ‘d start gathering up to go he’d leave that piece and say something like “It shot a tighter group for you, I think it likes you better” or “no use in putting traveling wear on that one” or “I used to have one like that, good gun”. And I’d grin and hug him.

When his end was just around the corner he asked me to come see him. After going over how he wanted his business handled he took me out to his gun room and asked me if there was anything I didn’t want and told me there was no obligation to take any of it. In my acceptance speech I mentioned he might consider leaving a certain gun to a certain grandson who I knew was close to Dad. He looked me in the eye and said “I’ve thought about this longer and harder than you have. I love the boy but I wouldn’t trust him to bring it in out of the rain. If anyone wants something just because I owned it, give them a pair of my socks. I’ve had the opportunity to give it to them and didn’t. What you do with your guns is your business.” And the conversation was over and I had a moving job to do.

How about you? What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I don't give it much thought. Right now I can't think of anyone who would appreciate them. If that changes I'll gift them to someone. If not someone else can figure it out after I'm gone. After all, I never bought any of them to make anyone else happy anyway.

But I'm definitely not the sentimental type when it comes to inanimate objects.

I am sentimental. I have a 3 year old son, that wants to be like daddy. So I think he'll get an appreciate for guns. We love doing stuff together, including walking in the woods and shooting. He likes to watch me shoot clays. He likes to look at the pictures of guns in gun mags and books I read.

I don't hunt anymore, and don't get to the range as much as I used to.
    I've been selling off and 'placing' guns for the last several years.
    I'm down to the few I actually shoot when I can get out. When I'm gone, some will be given to heirs, some will be sold.

My kids aren't shooters, and I have almost no contact with them.
    They think they are going to inherit a big weapons collection someday........
    Antiques, Colts, JM Marlins & commemorative Winchesters, a couple of single shots in .50BMG, high end target pistols, etc.
    They are in for a big surprise.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a bit sentimental with a many of my guns.

I tried to pass some of the "family" guns to my Daughter and Grandson years ago. I let them pick out what they wanted from a selection, and we went out to the range to shot them as best we could. Crap weather, getting dark before we got started, step-relatives in the way, etc. Several guns were selected, and I told them I'd pay for FFL fees and shipping on my end; they had to let me know of what FFL they wanted to deal with on their end and pay for all fees there. Never happened even with several reminders.

The Wife has stated she would like her guns to go to certain family members. I will do my best to fill her wishes. With the laws and bans it can get complicated!

I'm thinking of leaving my guns to my local gun club. Make sure the "good old boys" don't get them, but maybe some set aside for training and match shooting and the rest sold off with the funds going to help expand and improve the ranges. Still thinking through the details. If I go first the Wife will have full control over all the property and I wish her to do what she feels is best for her.

With the prices of components going up I may have to liquidate some guns just so I can keep shooting!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been and continue to downsize. No one in my family wants them; and the one son who would want some of them is not permitted to have a gun in house because his wife is a liberal fool.

I may have a step-grandkid or two that would want a few of them but they are not old enough yet to cross that bridge.

It bothers me a bit, but it is what it is. May as well cash out what I do not want and use hte money for other things.
    Don Verna

At nearly 40, I hope I have 40-50 more years with my favorite Winchesters and sixshooters. Not to mention the ones I've yet to acquire.

My momma and daddy collected Finten glass. I don’t want it like they wanted it but they can’t take it with them. I’m not a salesman so what I don’t want will probably get donated.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

They go to my son, and hopefully his kids will carry it on. My son has his great-grandpa's 1900's 38-55, and I hope someday another of our line will still be honoring and using them as he has.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    With three grown children who shoot regularly and 8 grandkids who shoot every chance they get, the plan is to shoot until I can't then let them sort it out-- no worries about the guns being taken care of properly.
    Hick: Iron sights!

The daughter will get her pick of what she wants over and above the 30 carbine that is hers and both her grandfather's 10-22 and Winchester Model 74. Then she is to open the gun safe to her 4 cousins to chose what ever that they want along with all the associated ammo/reloading stuff that they want. If I last long enough the great nephews and great niece will get included in the distribution if they are old enough and interested.

The nephews and their kids will also get to pick through all my tools and iceboats. And there is a bunch of tools, 8 Kennedy toolboxes and 9 "ANSI E" drawing cabinets 34" x 44", 4 and 5 drawer cabinets, filled. There is a silly amount of mechanic's and wood working tools plus all the stationary power tools.

After that, it's sell what's left and have fun with the cash.

Moderator Emeritus

I hope to downsize before the hard decisions come. I have some relatives who might get some. Most will be sold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I'm 53, and hadn't thought about this until recently. I am thankful to God that I have four grown sons, and four old out-of-production S&W revolvers that they grew up shooting. I know the sons and the guns well enough to know which son gets which gun. One is a five-screw K22 from my dad, who was a lefty. The lefty son gets that one, along with the lefty holster dad had it in.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Reminds me of my sweet, sweet loving daughter.... 'Hey daddy, when you don't need this one anymore, can I have it?' That in reference to the first 1911 she ever shot, when she was about 13yo. Between her and her two older brothers, both Navy men and enthusiasts themselves....I'm not worried about the future 'provenance' of mine. I have told them all that evil dad will leave in his will a trivia game to determine which one of them gets each piece.... Better study up on late/post Civil War single shots, there, youngins!!! :P
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Sons are into race cars and have no interest in my guns so, my closest friend who is very knowledgeable about guns will be selling them for my Wife. I have kept an accurate spreadsheet on values, serial numbers, description, model numbers etc. that he and my Wife will have access to..There are a few guns my Sons will be getting though, modern pistols and wheel guns I shoot and they have shot as well.

Boolit Master

Strange this thread showed up now. My state is being railroaded by the governor to pass a "Red Flag Law". One of the provisions he wants in it is that ALL transfers go thru a dealer. I'm hopeful that it won't pass but just in case I'm already talking to my two sons about how we go about making the transfers. I'll probably give the younger son my safe since all he has now is a "Stackon". He will get all the milsurps with the exception of the .308 Garand. The older son is the hunter, so he will have his choice of the rifles. They can negotiate for the handguns. I never was much of a shotgunner so I don't care who get it. I'm making no demands as to what they do with any of the guns. If they decide to sell some, so be it.

For now I'm keeping a few since I'm not on my last legs yet, although at 80, I'm not quite as active as I once was. I lost my wife(their mother) about 3 months ago. Got me to thinking while I was sitting around grieving and feeling sorry for myself that I needed to do something to make their job easier when I pass on.

One thing I've been doing is selling some of my stash of lead. I've still got over a ton but I'm not thru either. Neither of them is a caster.

I'm sure that we all have more "stuff" than guns. In my case it is books. I've got a ton. Many would be recognized by member here. Many are out of print and on the used book sites are valuable. Some may get dumped in a dumpster since I'm too ornery to "give" them away. Meantime, I'll try to sell most of them.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't give it much thought. Right now I can't think of anyone who would appreciate them. If that changes I'll gift them to someone. If not someone else can figure it out after I'm gone. After all, I never bought any of them to make anyone else happy anyway.

But I'm definitely not the sentimental type when it comes to inanimate objects.

They're all pretty much my feelings.
    Regards,

Gary

Those that receive my firearms will receive them for two reasons.
    I know they will be appreciated.
    They will be the only ones that know where they are.

Banned

let my wife do what she wants with them. ill be dead and wont know or care. ive given all my nephews guns already. same with the son. step sons are liberals and would probably pee themselves if they knew one of those dangerous things were in the house. guns that were dads or grandpas have already been given to family members.

I have a grandson who has health issues and I'm not sure he will ever mature to the point where he could be educated enough to be safe with a gun.

I have higher hopes for my granddaughter. But she needs a bit of time yet.

My daughter has very little interest. Although she truly shocked me when she wanted a pistol for home defense.
    I tried hard to get her to think shotgun but no dice. So I let her talk me out of a gun her grandfather bought for me at a pawn shop in SD.
    Heritage rough rider convertable .22lr .22mag.

I found I missed it so I replaced it with a better model that had adjustable sights.

Mostly I have ignored the question.
    I am not ready to give up my guns and I know no one who deserves even one much less the whole bunch.
    I guess I'm putting my head in the sand and ignoring the problem.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast