RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Digital scales, a PSA and a question.

Boolit Buddy

Digital scales, a PSA and a question.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I was casting up some of the lee 310gr 44 boolits this morning as well as some 180gr 40's. After I ran a few pots and got them sorted I weighed them up.
    All normal on the 40 cals, 180 to 181gr. When I weighed the 44's I was coming up with 220gr..... what the heck is this. It appears my little hornady digital is giving up the ghost. Smaller weights including the check weight of 10g check out just fine. Anything heavier than 200, no deal, way off.

Checked it out with the beam and everything is just fine on that end. Check your digitals with heavy weights occasionally. Not often I'm checking powder this heavy, but if I was weighing charged cases it could have been a bad problem.

This brings me to my question as to a new scale. I understand that the beam will never fail me and I appreciate that, which is why I have one to fall back on and check with.

However, I like the speed and versatility of the digitals. I'm looking at different ones and I know the gempro scales always rate very highly. Looks like the 250 may be discontinued, it is unavailable anywhere a quick search shows. The gempro 2 -350 is available from a scale place on eBay for 150$. I've watched a few reviews on YouTube and it looks nice.

In comparison the big hornady scale is 180+$. I do not believe it to be superior.

I'm not interested in a charging scale as it would not fit my system of reloading. I've got lyman 55, a dillion drop on the 550, and scoops with a trickler that serve all my needs.

What are you guys using for good, quality scales? No more cheap battery units for me.

Thanks,
    Ken

I've got an a&d fx200, and I like it. What you want is an actual digital balance, not a strain gauge scale. The digital balances will be far more accurate, as they're used in labs where a tenth of a milligram can make a huge difference. You don't have to get yours recertified, but a good set of check weights is a good investment.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried replacing the batteries and re-calibrating it using the provided weight?

That was all my cheap digital scale took to get back into working order.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

I have a PACT digital that is 11-years old that I never unplug, which is working very well (accurate to +/-0.10 grain up to 999.9 grain and to +/-1.00 grain from 1000 to 1500 grains).

Its instructions include calibrations for both "light" (less than 308.9 grains = 20 grams) and "heavy" (greater than 308.9 grains) with the included check weights (0, 20, 50 and combined 70 grams). The output can be either grains or grams. The PACT instructions also include "Factory Calibration Mode", which can be reset using the check weights. Reliability is key.

Are there similar instructions for your digital scale? For all: a digital load cell is especially sensitive to damage from lightning, fluorescent lighting, dropping, prying, overload, off-center binding, shock, and inadequately securing the platen when moving the scale (as in shipping).
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    New batteries and a recalibration did not solve the issue. Pretty sure it is cooked. I have had it for a while, perhaps 4 years or so.

Thanks for the info so far fellas. I have looked at the a&d scales, $$$$ but nice. I will have to look at the pact scales.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an Acculab one. I can look it up if you want. It also came with check weights and has been very accurate. Just watch what is near them like radios and such as even light vibrations can throw them off. I also have beams that I occasionally double check with. Keep saying one of these days I will get my reloading situation finalized.
    Ron

Look at Myweigh scales. Not exorbitant in price and extraordinary in service. Mine are nearing 20 years of service with no hiccough and if they did go south, I would buy that brand again.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    New batteries and a recalibration did not solve the issue. Pretty sure it is cooked. I have had it for a while, perhaps 4 years or so.

Thanks for the info so far fellas. I have looked at the a&d scales, $$$$ but nice. I will have to look at the pact scales.
    If you want a balance that will actually be accurate, then it's buy once, cry once. It really does make a difference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

You don’t always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get…

That said, I can get much more uniform charges with my beam scales and a photoelectric switch than most of my electronic units can even measure, except the A&D.

Boolit Buddy
    So your trickler reads your scale with an auto switch? That is very cool, I will need to look into that.

The new digi is on hold for now anyway. Spent my play $ on components, found some primers, a big jug of blue dot, and ordered 100lb from the Captain. I'll use the beam for a minute. That will give me some time to decide and research.

The Pack scales were top of the game back in the day. They even made a couple different powder tricklers that linked up with the scales and auto dispensed the powder. RCBS contracted them to make their scales & powder throwers for about 20 years.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

So your trickler reads your scale with an auto switch? That is very cool, I will need to look into that.
    If you already have a beam scale and trickler the rest is under $50.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for sharing this information sir. That looks easy enough to make. I'm going to start sourcing the parts. I may already have a power pack, and definitely plenty of wire. May even have a little motor and switch somewhere.