RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: swaging 9mm

Boolit Master

swaging 9mm

i'm not new to cast boolits; but a am new to the swaging section. so, i have decided that i would like to make swaged lead bullets like hornady used to make. in 9mm and 45 auto. the only thing that i have to get started is a rcbs A2 press that i think should be sufficient. beyond that "i know nothing" (sgt klink) where would i get mold and swaging dies and whatever i need. guidence please??

http://www.corbins.com/corbin.htm

Swaged soft lead not good for 9 mm Luger. Unless heat treated after swaging. Cost is high.

If you go down this rabbit hole, I hope you have deep pockets.

If you don't mind having a step bullet, try Hawk's Precision bullets (https://hawkbullets.com). You will have to call and ask what he has since he does not list them on his site.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Lots to learn, but first, Sergeant Schultz, Colonel Klink.

Boolit Master
    right; Sgt. schultz. oh well, after reading the comments; i'll find another project.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is what is possible to make 9/mm or 357 swaged bullets. I had posted making these awhile back. Like everyone has said be prepared to what it will cost to get to that point. I first look at this as a hobby which is going to cost to get started. Depending on the caliber and quantity made you could break even in several years. The younger you are when getting started will greatly pay off in the future based on today's prices. To get started doing things the right way you could easily spend $2/K plus depending on what level you want to take your hobby.

I built and started using an automated hydraulic press which takes making bullets to another level. Every bullet is the same and consistent. All die settings are recorded and repeatable plus pressure setting to setup each operation in several minutes. All the other variables needed, lead wire for cores, how are you going to anneal the cases, do you need to trim the cases and of course a good die set usually a three-die set will be required.

I've learned quite a bit over the last ten years and still trying what can and can't be done making jacketed swaged bullets.

Here are some the 9/mm 124/gr bullets that I make. I forgot one other step required. These are 9/mm annealed cases which have been drawn down to around 0.357" diameter, a draw die setup is required. The full length of the case is used no trimming required.
    These are used for loading 9/mm and 357/sig rounds. These are actually made with a 357-die set which would actually make the bullets about 0.001" larger. I've shot them without resizing but usually run them through a 0.356" sizing die. Recently setup the sizing die on a small punch press setup. As fast as I can load one and cycle the press there done with little effort involved. I'm one for letting the equipment do the work, not the other way around.

I wanted to add these cost about $0.04 each to make and takes me about 12/hours per thousand to complete.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000412.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	314987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000413.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	314988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000414.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	314989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000415.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	314990

I realize that lead swaged bullets was your original goal. When someone wants to get into swaging bullets, I only think jacketed bullets want to be made. Due to the expense, I would have to ask, why swage a lead bullet when you can cast them cheaper and designed to be lubed and or add a gas check.
    Last edited by KAYDADOG; 06-13-2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: ADD COMMENT

Boolit Bub
    i do my own jackets with copper tubings. pretty cheap! if you use 9mm cases, you can make 100 bullets under 3 or 4 bucks. buy the dies used and you won't break the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHbeTD3r8M

Boolit Grand Master
    Kaydadog, those are nice looking bullets.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    An ideal tool for swaging lead bullets is CH's old Swag-O-Matic press. You can pick them up on Ebay. CH no longer makes them though. You can swap out round-nose or hollow point punches. I can swage Lyman's 429421 from a 44 caliber SWC into a .452" diameter hollow-point that I can shoot in my 450 Bushmaster. I use another die set to swage Lyman's 38-148 full-wadcutter into a .357 hollowpoint.

The Swag-O-Matic is sturdy enough to handle swaging bullets make out of Lyman #2 alloy, which is my standard "to-go" alloy.

I usually go the other way..casts 9mm and swag them up to 357 swaging setup...but I guess you could cast 9mm..swag to 357..and put through a Lee sizing die..to resize to 9mm?...would make a harder surface bullet? I guessing?..asking...I've never done it...alway just shot the cast 9mm ( mostly wheel weights) and swag for my 38/357..
    Cheers
    B

Boolit Bub
    I don't know if C&H still make bullet swaging dies for reloading press, but last I check it was 300 something dollars for a 2 die set to make jacketed bullets. I have a .44 cal from C&H to make both soft point and hollow point but haven't use it yet since I do not own a .44 cal gun...