WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman 457191

Boolit Master

Lyman 457191

This mold is new to me, she is clean as a whistle. But it is one of the most finicky molds I have used in a while.Trying different heat settings and lead types to get it right. I didn't realize the lube grooves were so shallow on this mold. I am getting perfect bases

Boolit Man
    I've had that mold for a number of years. With pure (old) wheelweights it drops bullets at 302 grains. I have found that this mold needs to run reasonably hot and it takes me a good number of pre-production casts to get good bullets. I agree that the lube grooves are shallow and I often struggled to get good accuracy with traditional lubes or tumble lubed. It was not until I started powder coating this bullet that I started to get good accuracy in my 45-70 and even in my 458 Winchester. Keep playing with it, you will find the sweet spot. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

Hey jim44-40: I fellow just sold me a Lyman 457191. Appreciate your advice on getting that mould to work. My Winchester 76' 45-60 WCF would perform a bit better with a lighter boolit. Been shooting 400 gr cast it this rifle. I don't like shooting black powder in my lever guns. Have a lot of 4198 and SR4759. Just cast up some 330gr flat points today out of a Lee mould. Will try them while waiting for the Lyman 457191. We should get together sometime and burn some powder and ring some iron. My farm is just North of Fredericktown. Have a couple of shooten ranges too!