Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: On these toaster convection ovens...the fans.

Boolit Master

On these toaster convection ovens...the fans.

I have one of the cheap Hamilton Beach convection toaster ovens and I'm looking make the fan run continuously. Just off hand, does anyone know if these fans are 120v or 12v? It might make a difference on the way I choose to skin this cat.
    [

ADMIN

I would assume they are 120v.
    I don’t think they would use a power supply to provide 12v for the fan or controls.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    If that's the case, I can just use a plug in PID and wire a separate cord and plug in the fan to 120v.
    [

ADMIN

I would think that in normal operation the tan would stay on all the time to circulate the hot air around with the heating element cycling on/off to maintain.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

Don't have a cheap Hamilton Beach toaster oven. If you are going to modify it, you will need to partially disassemble it to modify the wiring. By examining the wiring you should be able to tell if it is 120V or 12V.

I highly suspect you will not find a 12V transformer in a cheap toaster oven.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    There are 120 volts to the fan according to my multimeter. I soldered a cord to it and plugged it into the wall...it spins just like it did before, just all the time now.
    [

Mine was 120v ac. My easy attempt. I just opened it up and hooked the fan wires only to its own plug In cord. Now the oven had 2 cords. Fan ran as long as it was plugged in. Eventually rewired it to a switch and a PID.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Bullets View Post
    Mine was 120v ac. My easy attempt. I just opened it up and hooked the fan wires only to its own plug In cord. Now the oven had 2 cords. Fan ran as long as it was plugged in. Eventually rewired it to a switch and a PID.
    I followed your lead and did exactly the same thing. My oven now has two cords. I added an on/off switch to the middle of the fan cord because I got tired of unplugging it.
    [

Boolit Master

Probably could have run a wire to the power button rather then use an extra cord?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    I would think that in normal operation the tan would stay on all the time to circulate the hot air around with the heating element cycling on/off to maintain.
    not familiar with the op's oven but my cheapo Oster "turbo" toaster oven does the same thing a "convection" oven does (I think??). The power to the fan on mine was in series to the heating element. The rapid cycling of my PID rendered the fan mostly useless. So I simply ran a separate 110v power cord with an inline switch (power cord from an old heating pad), so I could keep the fan running. Check n see for the OP I guess.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan