WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: First noe mold

First noe mold

Just submitted my order for my first NOE mold. I purchased NOE’s version of the Lyman 314299 mold. Should be here next week. It will be for my 1943 mosin nagant with a . 314 bore. I’ve been researching this for a while. I’ll order a sizer next week. Only real question is Does it take regular Lyman handles ? now was out of nose punches and handles.

Edit I was able to purchase Lyman top punch #467 brand new on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 06-09-2023 at 08:34 AM.

Noe's own handles or Lee 6 cavity handles. Should have ordered Noe's at the same time as the mold.

You won't be disappointed in the mold, I've got 20 plus and all are great. My only regret is not buying all 4 cavity molds, I've got too many 2 cavity molds.

Was just through your neighborhood on Wednesday, picked up a model 12 that I had Dick Williams reblue and re-time.

Shot it on Skeet yesterday. It shoots well. A bit to get used to, it's got a high rib for a pump gun.
    Last edited by 15meter; 06-09-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Lee 6 cavity handles , like meter said. I also own several NOE molds and they don’t disappoint! As a matter of fact I have one on order should be here tomorrow.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Mold handles were back ordered or else I was going too. Same with the top punch

First noe mold

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Noe's own handles or Lee 6 cavity handles. Should have ordered Noe's at the same time as the mold.

You won't be disappointed in the mold, I've got 20 plus and all are great. My only regret is not buying all 4 cavity molds, I've got too many 2 cavity molds.

Was just through your neighborhood on Wednesday, picked up a model 12 that I had Dick Williams reblue and re-time.

Shot it on Skeet yesterday. It shoots well. A bit to get used to, it's got a high rib for a pump gun.
    I haven’t been to dick Williams in a long time even though I was fishing just miles away from it last Tuesday. I know it’s a very reputable place. Do they sell reloading supplies there ? Thurstons ( whey was bares ) in st. Charles does

I was originally going to shoot jacketed bullets in my mosin but, than I realized why ? I’m never going to hunt with might as well use it strictly cast boolit gun

Small amount of reloading supplies, some powder, primers and bullets. Even some vintage Remington 157 primers for shotgun hulls. 95%+ of their business is gunsmithing, it's a 240 mile round trip for me but I have them do any gunsmithing work that I need. Picked up a Model 12 that I had them re-blue when I was on the way back from my daughter's place in Pentwater. Every spring I take the Sportster up their on the trailer and ride the back roads for a couple of days. Great riding up the Leelanau Peninsula.

I would have bought them for a buddy but they were priced higher than regular 209 primers. Over the last year or two John has come up with 10,000+ 157 primers. He figured out that a Wendy's soda straw was the perfect size sleeve for 157 to work in 209 hulls. He cuts them to length with a scissors while watching the vidiot box. Shoots them out of over-unders, claims there is a potential for a primer to fall out in a pump gun. He's down to less than 4000 primers. He got most of them for free. Word got around to the clubs that he used 157's and guys have been bringing them their 50 year old "too good to throw out, but I'm never going to use them" stash.

Free primers for a little bit of work, what's not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Small amount of reloading supplies, some powder, primers and bullets. Even some vintage Remington 157 primers for shotgun hulls. 95%+ of their business is gunsmithing, it's a 240 mile round trip for me but I have them do any gunsmithing work that I need. Picked up a Model 12 that I had them re-blue when I was on the way back from my daughter's place in Pentwater. Every spring I take the Sportster up their on the trailer and ride the back roads for a couple of days. Great riding up the Leelanau Peninsula.

I would have bought them for a buddy but they were priced higher than regular 209 primers. Over the last year or two John has come up with 10,000+ 157 primers. He figured out that a Wendy's soda straw was the perfect size sleeve for 157 to work in 209 hulls. He cuts them to length with a scissors while watching the vidiot box. Shoots them out of over-unders, claims there is a potential for a primer to fall out in a pump gun. He's down to less than 4000 primers. He got most of them for free. Word got around to the clubs that he used 157's and guys have been bringing them their 50 year old "too good to throw out, but I'm never going to use them" stash.

Free primers for a little bit of work, what's not to like.
    That’s pretty resourceful about the primers. I’ve always herd that Williams was a good gun smithing shop.

I stopped at jays today on the way up to Frankfort with my daughter. I picked up some h-4831sc and 1 sleeve of federal competition small rifle primers. as I only have 150 federal small primers left for my .450. I only had 200 to start with. I paid $14.99 for that sleeve could have bought a brick for $119 but, didn’t have the extra $$$. Eventually, I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a brick but, I only use the 450 for deer hunting so 250 ish primers should last a while.

mold came today. that’s really fast. i forgot i allready had a lee 6 place mold for 9mm. so i’ll just steal the handles off of that and use them on this new mold

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    mold came today. that’s really fast. i forgot i allready had a lee 6 place mold for 9mm. so i’ll just steal the handles off of that and use them on this new mold

Be sure to adjust the Lee mould handles , if you haven't already done so , before installing on the new NOE mould .
    Tighten the nut until you get a smooth fit that opens and closes without any up and down wobble , a little lube on the joint now and then while casting helps too .

Congratulations on your first !
    Be careful ... they are habit forming .

Hello , My name is Gary and I'm an NOE Mould Addict
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

after looking over the lyman load book. i have remington 760 that i can use my new Noe mold with too. that is very good news

Boolit Master
    When I have ordered a NOE mold I also get their top punch as well. Know it will fit and is cheaper than ordering a Lyman separately.

First noe mold

the top punches were sold out also
    looks like the mold handles just came back in stock

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 06-17-2023 at 02:56 PM.

first cast. today I casted about 75 boolets from wheel weights mixed with roto metals super hard. it took a while to get the hang of the mold and there is definitely a sweet spot as far as temperature. it took a mi ute to break in but, when it did it started casting good right away.
    the boolets came out pretty good.

got the loaded up hopefully hitting the range friday afternoon after i wake up. 10-13 grains of unique.

.314 sizer, gas check widget, and gas checks showed up today. took me a while to figure out my lyman 450 lubrisizer. first time i’ve used it since buying it last fall. at one point i had lube on bullet parts that i didn’t could get lube but, got the cleaned up. made 28 boolets total. did a chamber test and all loaded rounds fit inside the mosin.

Boolit Master

Sometimes you can load them straight from the mold with no sizing and they can shoot well. Some Mosin's have a big throat.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Nice mold! I have a number of NOE molds and love 'em.If you are using the mold, then I'm guessing you have handles. If you don't, Titan has thew Lee handles in stock. Their banner is at the top of the page.

Enjoy that new mold and let us know how your rifle liked that boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Sometimes you can load them straight from the mold with no sizing and they can shoot well. Some Mosin's have a big throat.
    i have thought about that if i can’t get these to shoot. the mold drops them about .3155-.316. i would probably powder coat at that point as i don’t think i can find a sizer in tge .315-.318 range.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Nice mold! I have a number of NOE molds and love 'em.If you are using the mold, then I'm guessing you have handles. If you don't, Titan has thew Lee handles in stock. Their banner is at the top of the page.

Enjoy that new mold and let us know how your rifle liked that boolit.
    actually come to find out I had a lee six banger mold lying around. it was for 9mm/38 special. i’m kinda just settled on running plated for 9mm. so i’ll keep the handles on the NOE mold

. took
    my 7.62x54 R cast reloads to the range. only shot at 50 yards but, showing signs of promise. early in the week i had shown the bullets and rounds made from a noe 314-210-rn mold. it shoots better with cast than it did with jacketed bullets. groups averaged around 1.90 inches. seemed. to like 10-11.5 grains of unique which was pushing it up to 1400 fps. best thing absolutely zero leading