Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger #3 Scope Ring Height ?

Boolit Master

Ruger #3 Scope Ring Height ?

Can anyone suggest a ring height for a Ruger #3 with Ruger bases (short, medium, or tall )? I just got the bases - But did not want to make a mistake in ordering the Ruger rings. Considering at least one of the rings in an offset version. Opinions are welcome
    Being human is not for sissies.

Since the #3 scope base tops should be level (front mount higher than the rear mount), so should the front/rear ring height be equal.

The actual ring height would depend on the O.D. of the scope's objective (forward) bell, as it needs to not touch the barrel.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Have that combo on one of my No 3's and IIRC the offset ring is a medium, needed at the rear to be able to set scope back a bit for proper eye relief. Depending on the scope you are planning to use that may not be necessary, was not needed with a different scope on my other No 3. The height required, as stated above, will be dictated by the size of the objective lens. This was not an issue for me as both of my scopes are straight tube Leupolds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0857.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	314838 i use weaver bases on my #3 in 45-70 and have had no problems with scope shift in yesrs of use with heavy loads, 300 gr bullet at 1900 fps. i have the ruger factory bases,but do not like them.

Boolit Master

I've got the fit of the scope to the gun worked out with these Ruger bases. I am thinking about fit of the scope height to the shooter in terms of scope position for ease of acquisition as related to ring height. I have encountered guns that had scopes mounted either too low or too high for me to acquire a decent sight picture - Thus needing a higher or lower ring setup. Was hoping someone might have an opinion on this particular setup before I sprung for Low, Medium, or High Rings. I will know once I buy them - But hoping not to have to buy another set after I try the first out, and perhaps find it not ideal. Probably clear as mud - But maybe better than the initial question. Thank You for attempting an answer
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Went and measured, with low rings have about 16mm clearance from the scope tube to the barrel with rear sight removed. Issue with a larger objective is where does the scope transition from body to objective bell, and where does the rear ring sit in relation to the power adjustment ring. You may need one or possibly two offset rings to get the scope to sit properly in terms of the objective bell, power adjustments and eye relief. If you already have the scope eyeball ring locations to see what rings you need to make it fit and give proper eye relief. On another No 3 I had the scope was a straight tube 3X in the low rings and it was higher than I would have liked with the OEM stock. For all the great stuff Bill Ruger was responsible for he really missed the boat with the butt stock design on the No 3.