MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: PID'd my Lee pot - great results!

PID'd my Lee pot - great results!

During my first ever casting session I had good, but not great, results with my Lee pot. The temperatrure seemed to vary a lot.

I realized that I had a PID temperature controller that I was using on my smoker. I bought a new thermocouple and dropped it in the pot. I adjusted the Lee control to 8 and then let the PID do the rest. When I was pouring and not adding cold ingots it would hold the temp within 5 degrees either way of set point.

I started at 650f (with Lyman#2) and moved up 50 degrees at a time. At 800 I was getting very good results both with my Lee and Saeco molds. At 850 the results were still good but I was then able to see the parting lines on the Saeco bullets. I don't know if this is a sign of the alloy being too hot or if you should see the parting lines. I did not have any frosting.

The tip of the thermocouple was resting on the bottom of the pot so I don't know if the alloy was actually at that temperature or it was the bottom of the pot but in any case I have a way to get repeatable results.

This seems like an easy upgrade to a lead melter that gives great results. It also minimizes one variable for a newbie like me.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff423; 02-10-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Super Moderator

..............What's a "PID" temp controller, and where can you get them?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Here is a very good instruction with parts lists, diagrams etc.
    http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Tom

Boolit Master

"At 850 the results were still good but I was then able to see the parting lines on the Saeco bullets"

IMHO if you can't see parting lines on the boolets then you are not getting good fill out.

I may try the PID too.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    If you have good ears and listen carefully, you can hear the Lee thermostat cycling on and off. Short cycles indicate near steady state at whatever temperature you use. I don't mean in real degrees, but rather the temperature at which your pot produces lead bullets acceptably with your mold and technique.

This is not to diminish the use of a temperature controller.

Either way adding more lead to the pot requires a return to near steady state good casting temp again. The 20 pounders, as I use, also show differential heating as melt is depleted from the pot due to heating element placement. BvT.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    "At 850 the results were still good but I was then able to see the parting lines on the Saeco bullets"

IMHO if you can't see parting lines on the boolets then you are not getting good fill out.

I may try the PID too.
    Probably a very good (and logical) answer.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    What do you mean by parting lines?

Boolit Master
    I have a Lee mold that will not cast a good bullet unless the alloy temp is quite high (aprox 900F) until I sprayed some Midway mold release on it.Now it casts a perfct bullet a a lower temp(aprox 700-750 F) like my other manufactured molds.I don't know why,But it made a differance
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
    What do you mean by parting lines?
    ...............The seam formed on the boolit (should be barely visible) left from the point where the 2 blocks meet.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............The seam formed on the boolit (should be barely visible) left from the point where the 2 blocks meet.

...............Buckshot
    Got 'cha. Sometimes when I don't lube my Lee molds right or make sure they are closing correctly they are more evident. I always thought it was better to have no or at the least minimal parting lines showing on the cast boolit?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    During my first ever casting session I had good, but not great, results with my Lee pot. The temperatrure seemed to vary a lot.

I realized that I had a PID temperature controller that I was using on my smoker. I bought a new thermocouple and dropped it in the pot. I adjusted the Lee control to 8 and then let the PID do the rest. When I was pouring and not adding cold ingots it would hold the temp within 5 degrees either way of set point.

I started at 650f (with Lyman#2) and moved up 50 degrees at a time. At 800 I was getting very good results both with my Lee and Saeco molds. At 850 the results were still good but I was then able to see the parting lines on the Saeco bullets. I don't know if this is a sign of the alloy being too hot or if you should see the parting lines. I did not have any frosting.

The tip of the thermocouple was resting on the bottom of the pot so I don't know if the alloy was actually at that temperature or it was the bottom of the pot but in any case I have a way to get repeatable results.

This seems like an easy upgrade to a lead melter that gives great results. It also minimizes one variable for a newbie like me.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, Pardon my intrusion, but does a PID take the place of the thermostat that is
    on the pot? Thanks, bigmac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thebigmac View Post
    Hey Jeff, Pardon my intrusion, but does a PID take the place of the thermostat that is
    on the pot? Thanks, bigmac
    The normally accepted procedure is to turn the pot regulator clear up and let the PID control the temperature. Some even disable the pot thermostat but that's not really necessary, just turn it up.

And usually recommended that the probe be about a 1/2" from the bottom and the side of the pot too.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mike w1 View Post
    the normally accepted procedure is to turn the pot regulator clear up and let the pid control the temperature. Some even disable the pot thermostat but that's not really necessary, just turn it up.

And usually recommended that the probe be about a 1/2" from the bottom and the side of the pot too.

mike w1; thanks for this info very helpful for me.. Mac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Bub
    I bought my PID from Kyle 623 .(a member here) it's great at maintaining the temp I want..it has made a big differerance in my casting. I highly recommend to people to pick one up.
    If I recall Kyle 623 was selling some more over in the "swap and sell" section.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Whether you buy one or build your own, I highly recommend a PID. It'll change the world regarding your casting. . . . for the good!
    Those things are great!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Been droppin perfect boolits for years.......without a controller OR thermometer. It's all in the look and feel..............and the expertise of the caster.

If you feel you just must have a controller, by all means sink the money into one. Practice is more valuable!

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Been droppin perfect boolits for years.......without a controller OR thermometer. It's all in the look and feel..............and the expertise of the caster.

If you feel you just must have a controller, by all means sink the money into one. Practice is more valuable!

banger
    I agree however since I've built mine I wouldn't be without it as I use it for my lead pot and my convection oven. Keeps things flawless and consistent from start to finish.

Banned
    And here's the rub.....some of us will never cast enough for casting to become a second instinct....if I cast a couple hundred of each caliber I'd be doing like 1200-1400 a year. This can be done in a few hour sessions. A pid adds consistency to the process, which is never a bad thing for us part timers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

banger

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Spray can black graphite lube as for use in locks is a great mold conditioner.

Make sure it is lock-appropriate, meaning it will leave no carrier behind.

Since I've started using this, my world has been a lovelier place.

Find it at Home Despot.