Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cast rifle powder ?

Favorite cast rifle powder ?

Wheats everyone's favorite as far as versatility? Thinking 5744 would be a good one ,seems to be in about Evey load list I see from .223 up to 45-70. But what's everyone else like ?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    I've shot them all.

If I had to pick just one, just one powder it would be unique. 22 Hornet to 45-70.

I use what works best for me in a given cartridge. I figure that 'one size fits all' concept is like getting a 'street & trail' motorcycle.
    It really doesn't do that great for either application.

Bullseye or Unique for pistols, IMR 3198 or 3031 for cast 405s in .45-70, 'The load' of Red Dot for cast .30-06,
    Blue Dot for .357s.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Alliant 2400

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

2400!

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Unique. Not the best for everything but works in a whole lot of things.

My favorite is SR4759. You’re not likely to find any because it’s been discontinued for some years now. Lucky for me I still have around 12 pounds.
    That being said, Unique and 2400.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

5744, 1680, unique, red dot, 231. These powders will perform in all my guns and what I use 90% of the time.

Depends on what your trying to do with it.

Make mine Red Dot.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    There isn't a "one size fits all". I personally like Rel-7 but I mostly shoot 30-30, 32-20 and 44-40 in rifles. YMMV...

Boolit Master
    Just in the .308 I have several powders that work well. I use whatever I have in the most quantity.

IMR4198, 3031, 4064, 4166, and Varget. Right now I am using mostly 4198. Never tried 2400 but may do so for my lighter loads. Plinking I use Blue Dot.

As you can tell I have found that the stick powders don't mind being downloaded a lot. The slower ones, like Varget, can become more inconsistent at lower pressures and load densities. Most are position sensitive when below 70% load density.

red dot
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I too go with 5744 for most cast in the 308, 300 Savage, 32 Special. Have also used 4227 with good success in the 30-30, 308. Used both 4198's and Reloder 7 in 308, 303 Savage, 32 Special, 45-70. For 'full power' cast or jacketed loading in 35 Rem, 45-70, 32 Special, 30-30 Accurate 2015 has worked well. I've used Unique and HP38 for relatively low velocity loading used at under 100 yards with plain base bullets. Some very slow powders work better than expected, 4831, other cheap surplus slow burners, with a case full in 30-30 to 308 cartridges giving excellent accuracy and decent velocity. 5744, with 4198 and Reloder 7 are most 'traditional' and work well. Unique is popular, but lacks real performance capabilities in most rifles. Many powders do not do well when loaded with charges that are too light.
    Knowing the cartridge can make a big difference in what powder is used.

Boolit Master
    AA 5744, Shooters World Buffalo Rifle, and Lovex D060 are all so similar that they're basically the the same powder. Shooters World used to be a lot cheaper than 5744, but pandemic, supply chain shortages, and inflation seems to have changed that. I have over a dozen different powders, but the two I use the most for cast loads are SW Buffalo for rifle cartridges,and HS-6 for pistol.

I’m loading light lead loads with V-V N32C [was called Tin Star]. I use it for short range BAMM in my krags, 03s and recently swedes. Not shooting these seriously but just for fun. Sadly they have discontinued it so after these 2 lbs are gone I’ll have to try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Just in the .308 I have several powders that work well. I use whatever I have in the most quantity.

IMR4198, 3031, 4064, 4166, and Varget. Right now I am using mostly 4198. Never tried 2400 but may do so for my lighter loads. Plinking I use Blue Dot.

As you can tell I have found that the stick powders don't mind being downloaded a lot. The slower ones, like Varget, can become more inconsistent at lower pressures and load densities. Most are position sensitive when below 70% load density.
    I had to pick up IMR 4198 as a rifle powder cause just about everything I usually use was out of stock on the Hodgon Website. Turns out, it's pretty decent. Seems to be a bit more energetic than 3031, so I load it more cautiously. Shame that most load data doesn't have the powder in FMJ loads for some reason. It's been pretty consistent and meters pretty decently for a stick-powder in my Lee Auto-Drum.

Boolit Master
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has 4198 in some of the .308 load data. I get a bit higher vel than they show in their data.

Boolit Master

If I could only have one I would go with Unique.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    For what I do Unique fills the bill

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast