Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler Drum Doesn't Rotate

Boolit Master

Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler Drum Doesn't Rotate

New piece of kit. I put the pins, 100 pieces of large pistol brass, 100 pieces of large rifle brass (.30-06), added water, citric acid, and detergent. Sealed it up and set it on the base. Turned it on; motor runs and sounds normal, rubber wheels spin, drum just sits there. Maybe it's too heavy. It should be well within it's capabilities, but... let me remove the brass and try it. So with just the pins and water, same thing. The drum just sits there while the motor runs and the rubber wheels spin. I emailed Frankford Arsenal, but I'm not expecting much from them.

Suggestions, before I return it?
    Last edited by nicholst55; 06-07-2023 at 09:18 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    So the one I have, you just place the drum down on the rubber wheels. Then turn the timer knob to 1 or 2 hours. And the drum spins. If you leave the drum off and turn the knob do the rubber wheels turn?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    With the drum off turn on the motor. One wheel should be turning. If no wheel is turning that’s the problem.

Is the drum dry when you set it on the spinning wheels?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy
    Like Deces said, dry it off. Take a little rubbing alcohol and clean the drive wheel and the rim of the drum so it has some friction. Maybe give it a little push start too.

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    So the one I have, you just place the drum down on the rubber wheels. Then turn the timer knob to 1 or 2 hours. And the drum spins. If you leave the drum off and turn the knob do the rubber wheels turn?

Mine works like that too. Perfectly. Instead of posting on an internet forum I would call the place I bought it from.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    Mine works like that too. Perfectly. Instead of posting on an internet forum I would call the place I bought it from.
    I don't figure that Amazon is going to provide much tech assistance.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Okay, if y'all actually read the initial post, you would note that the motor does turn and the rubber wheels do turn. I'll try rubbing the rubber wheels down with rubbing alcohol and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, it's going back to Amazon.

Boolit Master

How much water do you have in it? the first time I used mine I experienced the same issue. Maybe not enough weight or the apparatus could not overcome the half empty tumbler.

More water and dry wheels and it worked like a charm.

Boolit Master

On second thought, I'll give you $25 for it as is, just so you won't have to troubleshoot it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Okay, if y'all actually read the initial post, you would note that the motor does turn and the rubber wheels do turn. I'll try rubbing the rubber wheels down with rubbing alcohol and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, it's going back to Amazon.
    Sorry, I was jumping to conclusions. So the wheels aren’t getting traction on the drum. Clean both with something like fantastic or simple green, dry them, and try again.

Boolit Master
    I apologize if I'm coming across as cranky. I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery, and my surgical scar has become infected. It's keeping me busy doing things that I'd rather not be doing. The pain and discomfort certainly doesn't help any.

I'll try degreasing the rubber wheels and the ridges on the drum that ride on them tomorrow and see if that helps.

If you can, I would highly recommend getting the RCBS one. It has a very convenient handle on the drum.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I jad the same problem. It seems that the material the drum is made of isn’t getting traction withnthe rubber wheels. I put a strip of Gorilla tape around the part of the drum that contacts the wheels, and now it works fine. You still have to be careful not to overload the drum, necause it’s a poor design, but at least you can make it work.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I had the same problem. It seems that the material the drum is made of isn’t getting traction with the rubber wheels. I put a strip of Gorilla tape around the part of the drum that contacts the wheels, and now it works fine. You still have to be careful not to overload the drum, because it’s a poor design, but at least you can make it work.
    I was wondering about that very thing - maybe putting some traction tape on the drum ridges that ride the rubber wheels. I'll try degreasing everything with rubbing alcohol tomorrow. I have encountered problems with blow molded plastic stuff before, because it has mold release agent on it; that's possibly the problem here. And I agree, the Frankford Arsenal design is pretty basic. If I end up buying a different one, RCBS will probably get the nod.

Midsouth has these on sale often. I started wet tumbling with the Lyman unit and it is a powerful machine. I showed a friend a sale midsouth had on the rcbs version at a great price. He got it and I really started favoring it more than the Lyman, even though it's not as powerful.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...apacity-(120v)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Midsouth has these on sale often. I started wet tumbling with the Lyman unit and it is a powerful machine. I showed a friend a sale midsouth had on the rcbs version at a great price. He got it and I really started favoring it more than the Lyman, even though it's not as powerful.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...apacity-(120v)
    If I hadn't just bought the FART, I'd be all over that deal on the RCBS!

Boolit Buddy
    My FART worked perfectly from day one. So I'll keep it. I do like the handle on the RCBS one though.

Neat design on the Lyman wet system but I’m still running my ancient ‘orange ball’ vibratory system. Try some friction tape like what they use on tennis rackets etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a you tube video where someone put rubber bands on the wheels to prevent them from slipping on the drum.

I found the video. https://youtu.be/MqFNNvbf3yo

Go to about the 4:45 mark where he talks about using the rubber bands as well as the issues with not having the drum full enough.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ranger391xt; 06-08-2023 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast