Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Elmer and Skeeter fans

For Elmer and Skeeter fans

Boolit eye candy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Great pic, thanks for sharing. What brand and number is the bullet?

It is a clone of the H&G 503. 3 equal driving bands like Elmer specified.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Lyman Ideal 429421 cast bullet designed by Elmer Keith. It works!

My favorite bullet for 44sp and 44mag.

Keith knew his stuff

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    I bet Mr. Keith could hit a Mule deer at 600 yards with that bullet with a 44 Magnum.

The 600 yard shot on the deer was with factory loads iirc. Brian Pearce did an article in handloader where he used a period correct model 29 and period ammo that had been stored in a basement. He hit a mule deer sized target at 600 yards. That said I agree that Elmer could have done it with his boolits and loads.

One if life's great joys is shooting at rocks on a hillside with a .44 at various ranges. The boom
    followed by a "tick"sound never gets old.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The 600 yard shot on the deer was with factory loads iirc. Brian Pearce did an article in handloader where he used a period correct model 29 and period ammo that had been stored in a basement. He hit a mule deer sized target at 600 yards. That said I agree that Elmer could have done it with his boolits and loads.

One if life's great joys is shooting at rocks on a hillside with a .44 at various ranges. The boom
    You remember correctly. Very correctly.
    I bet he could have hit that deer 3 out of 4 with that bullet.
    Even with his 4 inch 44 Mag.

I don't suppose you recall the issue number or year of that article?

My only "Keith" bullet is this RCBS 44-250-K. It does well for me in 44 special, I haven't tried it in 44 Magnum yet. The front driving band isn't the same height as the other two, but it has a nice square lube groove.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is a clone of the H&G 503. 3 equal driving bands like Elmer specified.

How does the H&G 503 differ from the original 429421 as designed by Keith? I’ve been told the later releases (like from Lyman) had rounded grease grooves, much to his displeasure
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

From what I have read the 503 was the last one to be blessed by Elmer. 3 equal bands, square grease groove, and tapered crimp groove. I have 2 Lyman 429421 molds and neither of them have equal bands or a square grease groove.

Boolit Master
    From what I have read the 503 was the last one to be blessed by Elmer. 3 equal bands, square grease groove, and tapered crimp groove. I have 2 Lyman 429421 molds and neither of them have equal bands or a square grease groove.

I have two different H&G 503 molds. Different bullets slightly.

Boolit Master
    I have fired 250 grain Keith bullets from at least five different molds over the years and they all shot well, some a little better than others but all good. Back in the day before CRP we could shoot a mile in some areas over plowed bottom land. Shooting far enough you could fire your .44, lower the gun and wait for the bullet to hit. Really teaches you how to hold a sight picture and squeeze a trigger plus how good your loads are.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    How does the H&G 503 differ from the original 429421 as designed by Keith? I’ve been told the later releases (like from Lyman) had rounded grease grooves, much to his displeasure
    Froggie
    Oh, my. For more than you want to know about "Keith" bullets, go to the sticky in "Molds-Maintenance and Design" https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Keith-Bullets for 26 pages of kickin' and gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.

The short story: The 429421 as produced wasn't true to Elmer's "original" design. I remember reading Elmer's columns in "Guns and Ammo" magazine in the 1970's, and he regularly disparaged it for its skinny front band and rounded lube groove. He was much happier with the H&G 503 with its three equal-width bands and square grease groove.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I have two different H&G 503 molds. Different bullets slightly.
    I'd like to see them. For that matter, I'd like to have samples of them!

Boolit Master
    SAECO made one that was close. I have a 2 cavity at home - was always a great shooter in both 44 special and mag. I'm not where I can look at it but seem to recall the first and second bands are slightly narrower than the base band.

Thumbcocker helped in getting my Ruger 5.5 inch Flat top 44 Spec up and running by sending me a few of his boolits from the 503 mold. I must say, with 7.5gr of Unique, his bullets fired more than acceptable groups, impressive really. Having found an old Lyman 429421 single cavity and settling on 7.3 grains, I get acceptable groups with that as well but not quite small nor as uniform as the 503 boolit groups.

Can anyone produce any evidence that Elmer really specified equal length bands?

He specified a full DIAMETER front band, long enough to fill the chambers' ball seat, but never mentioned equal lengths.

Boolit Master

Elmer didn't call it "length", he said width. As I recall. It's in his book "Sixguns", in the bullet chapter. He made it plain he wanted three equal lengths.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast