RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Elmer and Skeeter fans

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Can anyone produce any evidence that Elmer really specified equal length bands?

He specified a full DIAMETER front band, long enough to fill the chambers' ball seat, but never mentioned equal lengths.
    He did indeed, specify equal Bands. Read his book, Sixguns.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Elmer wanted and insisted on three equal width (length) bands on his desgns as he wanted the front band heavy enough to grab the rifling to reduce skidding as it hit the rifling. Elmer gave his blessing to the H&G 503 and that being said, the first H&G 503 I bought in 1979 had a narrow front band that was half the size of the base and middle band. Even at that it would routinely shoot palm size groups at 100 yards from a sitting position out of my 8 3/8 Model 29. Go figure.

Your copy of Sixguns must be different from mine...

Page 236 of Sixguns, Keith has photos of three of his designs from Saeco molds.
    None of them have equal width bands.

That "requirement" is never mentioned.

Boolit Master

How do you explain page 286 of the Lyman Ideal Keith bullets with bands for all intents and purposes equal length bands?
    This is a subject that has never and never will be satisfied and Answered to any great extent.
    So why try?
    Each mold maker will tweak and adjust measurements to satisfy his own ideas and manufacturing methods.
    Stirring the pot so to speak.
    Look at the 429421 CLOSELY on page 286 of "SIXGUNS" and tell me who makes one like it?
    Look CLOSELY not just skim over the photo.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 06-10-2023 at 10:55 AM.

February 1976 Guns and Ammo, in Keith's Gunnotes column.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAC43 View Post
    February 1976 Guns and Ammo, in Keith's Gunnotes column.
    Again, none of this matters. The discussion, argument, debate, conversation, discourse, confabulation will never settle what is "A REAL KEITH BULLET".
    Nothing has been settled yet after all these many years.
    Never will be settled.

While I am just as interested in remaining "true" to the original Keith design done by the man himself, I realize the difference in performance between that and most of the current versions will be nearly indistinguishable to most shooters. I have 3 different "Keith" molds and all perform to a level that I could only describe as nothing short of spectacular. I would much rather spend my time shooting boolits from any one of the three molds than to waste my time arguing about which one is closer to the original design, but then I am by no means an absolute perfectionist and I don't carry an electron microscope in my back pocket either.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Thank you, JAC43. Now I've finally seen it in writing.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 429421 has always done well for me!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

Since I'm not the handgun shot Mr. Keith was I do what I think of as well with all of the close copies. The difference in the lubes makes the square groove less important. nearly all of the close copies have 95% of the qualities of the original. As far as the correct specs they are all confused in the argument. Just my thoughts on the subject........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    One can also get lost in nose profile and meplat size...I've seen those arguments rage for years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Since I'm not the handgun shot Mr. Keith was I do what I think of as well with all of the close copies. The difference in the lubes makes the square groove less important. nearly all of the close copies have 95% of the qualities of the original. As far as the correct specs they are all confused in the argument. Just my thoughts on the subject........
    Just like I said. It will never be settled. Every mold maker add his tweaks and mods according to his version of what the "KEITH" bullet is or should be.
    But they still call it a "KEITH". Not a modified "KEITH" or "my version of the "KEITH".

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    The Lyman 429421 has always done well for me!
    Me too.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with most here, finding the "real" Keith 44 bullet is probably going to happen about as soon as I discover oil in my back yard. Having read a lot of Keith's writing [books, articles, etc.] he used a variety of 240 - 255 gr bullets. in some articles he praised the Lyman 429421 and in others expressed a disdain for it.......same with a couple other designs. A lot of his shooting was done with bullets cast for him by others. Pointing to one paragraph in one book as "gospel" is akin to quoting a passage from the Bible. It's often not too difficult to soon find another passage that seems to contradict the first. We must also remember that Keith was always developing new bullets and cartridges that he deemed to be "better".

I've been shooting 429421s cast from several Lyman moulds since I was 20 years old. All of them shot very well in numerous 44 firearms. Never found a 44 SPL or 44 Magnum revolver, SS or rifle that didn't like the 429421. My current Lyman 429421 mould is a Lyman 4 cavity and it casts excellent bullets. I also have been using an RCBS 44-250-KT for I got when I returned from Iraq and got a 50th Anniversary BHFT 44 Magnum. It also cast excellent bullets which shoot superbly in all my 44s.

Since the advent of "modern" lubes with the NRA 50/50 formula back in the '50s the need for the large square lube groove has been negated. The round grooves of the Lyman 429421 and the RCBS "Keith" bullets serve just as well. Of course I also use numerous other 44 cast bullets but I consider the 429421 as my "mainstay" go to cast bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12